back to article Obama orders gov app deluge

The US government has amplified its focus on getting the machinations of White House effectively digital with a strong push on mobile technology. President Obama yesterday issued a directive for each federal agency to make at least two key government services available via mobile apps phones within the next 12 months. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

WTF?!

"President Obama yesterday issued a directive each federal agency to make at least two key government services available via mobile apps phones within the next 12 months."

Even if there is no real reason? What a fucking waste of money!

1. LarsG
      Meh

Re: WTF?!

Actually I can see an advantage here in the uk if the Gov/Inland Rev applied themselves to making an app for PAYE and Tax.

However the trouble with government IT projects is this. It would be delivered late, it would be of poor quality, it would cost the tax payer ridiculous amounts if money.

No doubt designed by fools, managed by idiots and overseen by morons. That is the typical UK managed IT project outcome.

1. Tom 38

Actually, the current UK plan is to make information freely available, and let 3rd party developers compete amongst themselves to produce the highest quality app using that data.

For things like tube line status etc, this approach has actually worked quite well.

A logical extension of this would be to make services that developers can use to produce apps which actually do things rather than just interrogate data. Your PAYE example would work here - what is needed is a service to allow an individual to enter their PAYE data securely, which app developers can then integrate.

However, 'logical' and 'politics' don't really mesh.

2. John A Blackley

"to make large amounts of government data more accessible to the public."

Perhaps your anti-Obamaness is causing cataracts.

3. pimpernel

No, the government now won't even have to illegally force app-makers to provide back doors so the public can be spied on better. It will have been well worth it.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Make Apps

Not war!

3. Don Jefe
    WTF?

Social? Jesus.

Making data accessible does not make it social, it makes it accessible. I hate when my govt tries to look 'cool'.

Also, why is the project being led by DHS, the same agency who brings you the TSA & ICE; two of the most intrusive & incompetent agencies in the entire govt "family".

This guarantees the apps won't perform as advertised & but will track the shit out of you, if your lucky; and give you a body cavity search if you aren't.

1. ItsNotMe
      Pirate

Re: Social? Jesus.

And...they have the added "benefit" of giving hackers TWO MORE pipelines into the government's computers. How thoughtful.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free ipads all round then

In doing this he has just greenlighted free toys for government workers. The gravy train just rolled in.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

IRS (CR)APP

Might try securing the IRS from eagerly doling out hundreds of millions of fraudulent tax refunds each year. How about rehabbing IRS processing protocols to pre-empt tax filing fraud. To date, one can order your tax transcript, have it sent to an address, obtain your PIN (all of 4 digits) and remaining personal information, file a business loss claim electronically, and promptly receive a DEBIT CARD refund in the mail to the tune of thousands if not tens of thousands of $. All day long. The IRS won't pickup on it until a local bank or USPS or local law enforcement catches on. By then, it's too late. Once the identity theft has ten accomplished, absolutely no-one in the federal government - not the IRS, SSA, or FTC - offer any help, remediation, or future protection. So, go create an app-for-that Barack.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I smell the rot of government failure.

Having only recently started working directly with the government, I expected to be lost in a morass of documents that told you how to do everything and constantly be running afoul of one of them. The truth is so much worse. There may be a morass of documents out there, but at least as far as I'm concerned, that haven't even documented how to find them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bama can't even operate a Crackberry

Why would anyone expect good direction from a clown who can't even operate a Crackberry securely?

This topic is closed for new posts.