back to article SAP hopes to embiggen its cloud with Ariba slurp

Software giant SAP is hoping to beef up its cloud with an offer to slurp business commerce company Ariba for $4.3bn. The acquisition should give SAP a boost as it tries to claw its way into the cloud, currently dominated by arch-rival Oracle and Salesforce.com. SAP has been chomping businesses left, right and centre as it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

could be good, could be bad

my company uses SAP and we use Ariba On-Demand. Making the two fit together has sometimes been difficult. It will be interesting to see exactly how much leash Ariba gets and how long they remain an "independent business unit".

Our biggest problem is that Ariba handles indirect spend (widgets) very well, but direct spend (raw materials) is simply awful in Ariba and nigh impossible without frightfully expensive add-ons. Ariba bought out Quadrem, which was supposed to resolve that problem but the full integration was going to take up to three years. Now, with the SAP buyout, that water could become even murkier OR much clearer. Given SAP's penetration into manufacturing firms like my employer, they may "suggest" Ariba move faster on the Quadrem integration. That's my HOPE, anyway.

2. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Fake Barcodes might help - LOL

Maybe they could slap a fake barcode on the box Ariba comes in, and get it out the door much cheaper?

3. Richard 51

what will they do with SAP SRM then ?

There is a significant amount of overlap between Ariba and SRM so it will be interesting to see what they do. SRM was a commerce one product SAP bought to fill a gap in its supply chain portfolio.

4. Chris Evans

'embiggen' what a horrible word!

'embiggen' is a horrible word, what is wrong with 'Enlarge' it means the same?

1. leeph

Re: 'embiggen' what a horrible word!

Pretty sure it's not even a real word. As far as I know, it was invented for an episode of 'The Simpsons' and some rather foolish people decided from then on it would be good to get it into general circulation.

Oh, the humanity...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like