back to article Activision may bung Bungie $2.5m ratings-based bonus

Halo developer Bungie's lucrative ten-year deal with games publisher Activision has been made public, revealing the coder is set to receive an unprecedented bonus should its next title win critical acclaim. The studio will pocket a tasty $2.5m (£1.6m) bonus if the game in development, dubbed Destiny, though that's probably …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. HP Cynic

Great, their bonus is based on a score site: cue astroturfing on a massive scale then.

1. Adam T

metacritic bonuses

I've not seen this before myself, but I'm told it's becoming increasingly common. I guess this is just the modern equivalent of chart fixing.

1. Deadlock Victim

Re: metacritic bonuses

It's pretty common but not common to talk about it.

2. Chad H.

Happened in Fallout: New Vegas

Mediacrtitic score: 84; required for Bonus 85.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Confused

>the first in a series of four sci-fi shooters, for an Xbox 360 exclusive release in autumn 2013

Based on the overall sales of the first game... ...The bonus would be paid between 2010 and 2013 if the studio meets certain quality and budget milestones.

Err.... my assumption is that there are different bonuses here, and that the article was written in a state of excitement leading to some ambiguity. Either that or Activision have a time machine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Confused

There's the ratings bonus, plus other on-time/on-budget and quality bonuses of a similar magnitude available throughout the development cycle. It might sound like a hefty chunk of cash, but split 200+ ways it's really not *that* big a bonus (plus, you know, lol@game dev salaries); the Studio as a company stands to make the best part of half a billion dollars off this contract. Considering they left MS with nothing, to all intents just a new startup, it's really quite a good deal.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

suing for 1 bn is for sissies!

if they were REAL men, they'd sue for 10 bn on account of "emotional distress caused by unfair treatment". They have earned EVERY cent, I tellya!

4. Thomas 4

=/

Bungie: "We're finished with Halo and we want to move on and do new things!"

Gaming community: "Wow, cool, so what great new things can we expect from you guys?"

Bungie: "We're working on an FPS with a sci-fi theme to it!"

Gaming community: .......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like