back to article Why can't ICANN just 'get s**t done', ask dot-brand hopefuls

Web overlord ICANN has reopened its bug-plagued new top-level domain name registration system almost six weeks after taking it down to patch an embarrassing security hole. Companies signed up to the TLD Application System (TAS) now have until a minute before midnight on Wednesday, 30 May to apply for new generic dot-words such …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Figgus

ICANN't

n/t

2. Oninoshiko
    Stop

Maybe because

this whole idea is a bad one, and a mistake from the beginning? WHY the fuck do we need a bunch of new TLDs?

I, for one, think this is just an idiotic money grab.

1. Nigel 11
      Meh

Re: Maybe because

Why indeed?

I wonder whether the folks buying these new TLDs have thought it through, or whether it's just a dot-vanity project costing what's less than petty cash to a large ego's corporation?

I have trouble remembering URLs and extra TLDs won't help at all. Google doesn't forget and doesn't care.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Surely they aren't going to sell .web? That's surely generic.

I can see the point of .london and suchlike. Although what's wrong with .london.uk?

The deadline hasn't closed yet. So I'm just off to put a bid in for .fiasco. Although ICANN have probably got exclusive rights to that one already...

1. Nigel 11

Big or little endian? We could always try both!

It started with a redundant "www.", will it now all end with a redundant ".www"?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I had the money...

... I might be tempted to bid for a dot hack. No, not the "cybercrims" type, thank you. I've even toyed with the notion of making it a kickstarter project.

This despite profound reservations about both the organisation and its initiative to the point that I wouldn't shed a tear if it all came down in flames again, this time hopefully permanently.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Boycott

Have I mentioned that I think the authors of DNS software should simply ignore the new dot-brand shit?

If ICANN have to start sending refunds then they might start thinking twice before implementing such stupid ideas just to line their pockets.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Boycott

Bit difficult when said software is open source. Also, you couldn't possibly argue that there was a technical problem, since arbitrary DNs are handled fine at the next level down.

No, the people most likely to sabotage gTLDs are authors of web browsers and firewalls. You probably could make a case that at least some gTLDs are just channels for unwanted content (.xxx anyone?) and therefore ought to be something that admins and end-users can opt out of.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

"..... the people most likely to sabotage gTLDs are authors of web browsers...."

ISTR that IE6 comes pre-sabotaged. Unfortunately I reckon that this is not a result of great foresight, a righteous attack of the hump and a protest, but just 'cos it's shit.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

I'm doing that on my network; I grab a copy of the root-zone once a week and edit out all the crap TLDs then drop the zone file onto my DNS servers. This makes DNS queries much quicker for me and my users and allows me to do much better tracing.

6. Dale 3
    Trollface

Tickets

They should have involved the people* responsible for London Olympic ticketing. Look how well that is being managed.

* Probably best not to mention the company name

7. Nigel 11
    Devil

.mafia

Wonder if anyone wants .mafia, and if so, who and why?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like