back to article Nasdaq red-faced after software snafu stalls Facebook IPO

Nasdaq OMX chief Robert Greifeld has said he is "humbly embarrassed" by the technical glitch that held up Facebook's IPO on Friday. Greifeld said that problems with order cancellations interfered with the social network's debut, delaying it by more than two hours from the ringing of the bell at 9am EDT. "This was not our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sebacoustic
    Meh

o rly?

>Some are blaming the technical problems for the poor performance of FB shares

others however are asserting that the glitches prevented the stock from going under water on the first day already, which might have dampened the mood on the Zuck's wedding party.

2. GrumpyJoe
    Meh

So is it investing in a company

if you buy shares and then sell them in under a minute (never mind a day)? I was under the impression that was what the stock market was for - adding liquidity to a company based on it's shares.

I'm all for trading but in those kind of spans (milliseconds) - you are just in it for the margin - no investment.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stabalized?

FaceBook Under $38 As Artificial Underwriter Support Ends

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/facebook-under-38-artificial-underwriter-support-ends

About Face(book) took all of 24 hours. The FaceBook $38/share support freebie courtesy of Morgan Stanley is now gone. As of moments ago the stock was well below its IPO price and sliding. The humiliation for a Zuckerpunched Morgan Stanley, which is now funding its $70 million IPO fee with hundreds of millions in sales and trading losses, and which is scrubbing any mention of the FaceBook IPO from its pitchbooks, and of course the NASDAQ, is just soaring by the minute.

But you go ahead and friend me. Oh wait, I don't have fadebook

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: stabalized?

Facebook, Inc. (FB)

-NasdaqGS

33.75 Down 4.49(11.73%) 11:03AM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price

2. DrXym

Re: stabalized?

FB shares took a crap today. Looks to me like many investors chose to offload them quickly because they didn't rise after their IPO. All that selling and no underwriter caused the price to slump. Facebook does have value as a business but it seems to have been substantially overhyped.

Hopefully they won't become another Groupon with extremely volatile shares going up and down like a yoyo but trending downwards all the time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$33.61

I'm actually finding this quite amusing

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Whenever bugs are in the System, and they are, who knows what will happen when you feed them?!.

Here is another take upon the Facebook problem, which y'all here will know to be perfectly true ....... but every cloud has a silver lining .... [with some studded in diamonds for a chosen few? :-)

<blockquote>amanfromMars May 20, 2012, 21:27 ….. commenting on a comment on http://rt.com/usa/news/facebook-ipo-globe-internet-644/

Sentinel (unregistered) wrote in #16 …….

Facebook will not go the way of the Globe. Washington intends to use it to control the denizens of planet Earth – whether they are Russians, Chinese, New Guineans, Congolese, or Amazonian native Indians. Everyone’s profile will be on Facebook for the CIA and Pentagon and other U.S. agencis to monitor and control. Recall how the Washington controlled mass medias so avidly promoted this social media as the promoted Google.

Have you any idea how easy it is for the likes of Russian, or Chinese, or European intelligence agencies, [to name but just three systems] to post whatever they want the CIA and Pentagon and other US agencies to monitor and control/react to?

And that would have the former parties [Russian, or Chinese, or European intelligence agencies] leading the latter parties [CIA and Pentagon and other US agencies] and have them chasing all manner of phantom ghost and disappearing trail imaginable, lest they actually be stealthily true and virtually real too.

Welcome to the Great IntelAIgents Game …… which given what we know about President Vladimir Putin’s earlier training, would seem to make him something of a natural leader in the field? Or somebody who would more easily understand natural leaders in the field. </blockquote>

1. DrXym

Re: Whenever bugs are in the System, and they are, who knows what will happen when you feed them?!.

I think you've used a few too many elastic bands to secure your tinfoil hat. Anyone with secrets to hide or who simply values their privacy can do so just by not using Facebook or similar tools. Or if they do they exercise a little thing called lying.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Whenever bugs are in the System, and they are, who knows what will happen when you feed them?!.

Hi, DrXym,

The point which was being made/is being made by that which you replied to, is that the system is easily groomed to provide an alternate virtual reality which may, or may not suit established dominant practices and which the status quo might feel compelled to try and ensure does not gain traction and legitimacy. Such actions to maintain an old position though are doomed to rapidly increasing and reinforcing failure.

Your comment does though have one wondering what Facebook is being used for, and what value would be in it for investors, who might just be seen as ignorant suckers by the system they are supporting, and to be easily parted from their money to keep the markets ponzi payola going. Although whenever the patient is brain dead, whatever would be the point?

I think you've used a few too many elastic bands to secure your tinfoil hat. ....... How very droll

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

I hope this little infomercial sheds some light into your darkness, DrXym ......... http://youtu.be/_GS_pvhcI5c

Two and half plus minutes which explain the rigged game very well.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Pop!

With the current economic climes, this was hardly the best time for an IPO of this size.

Does anyone who shelled out for FB shares actually understand that the value of their holding can go to zero in a matter of days?

7. Rashomon
    Mushroom

When it comes to Facebook, you just can't polish a turd - there are no malfunctions today but the stock is still down.

8. Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold
    FAIL

Not at the races

So, the biggest IPO in history was blighted by a system malfunction characterised as a ‘race condition’ because of the huge interest the Facebook IPO was generating among traders. This clearly brings to the fore the importance of knowing how much strain your critical systems are under at any one time. The interest in the Facebook IPO was hardly surprising, but such peaks and troughs in demand on a system and its applications are often far less predictable without the proper monitors.

Through the execution of synthetic transactions and active polling in real time, one can capture key performance and process related information, meaning that problems such as this could have been identified and alerted upon before they become an issue that was felt, and reported on in this case, across the globe.

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge
    Meh

"Some are blaming the technical problems for the poor performance of Facebook shares on Friday"

Heh. Yeah surely it's not because the stock is overvalued.

"With the current economic climes, this was hardly the best time for an IPO of this size."

True. But, also, the stock is VASTLY overvalued. When I took some econ classes in the late 1990s, a P/E (Price to Earnings ratio) above 8 was considered excessively overvalued. That is, if your company earned $100,000,000 a year, the market cap (total value of all shares of stock) should be at $800,000,000 or less or else don't be surprised if the stock price drops. While I was taking the class, even the econ professors didn't notice the obvious bubble of the time, and just informed us the book was out of date and that number is really about 15 P/E instead. I've read Facebook made about $3 billion in ad revenue, this puts Facebook's IPO valuation at over 33 P/E ratio. So, fair market price for Facebook's stock should be more like $9 a share using the "traditional" P/E limit of 8, and still only about $18 a share using the 15 P/E figure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like