back to article Brit knits jumper for NASA space chicken

A British woman has enjoyed the peculiar honour of knitting a jumper for Camilla the rubber chicken – the mascot of NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory. Camilla the space chicken. Pic: NASA Rugby lass Sue Drage, 62, was recommended to the space agency by BBC Coventry & Warwickshire, after she took part in a charity "knitathon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

Questionable cartography?

"they thought it was a good way of putting Britain on the map"

I think you'll find that Britain was on the map for quite a few hundred years before America.

1. peyton?

Re: Questionable cartography?

Which map?

I don't think a slight was intended. I think an American organization is attempting to acknowledge that other countries have contributed to its efforts in space exploration*, and it felt this was a way to recognize them.

*perhaps they refer to this map?

2. Ottman001
    Thumb Up

Space Chickens

Ultimately, it is this sort of to-the-point, informative and valuable journalism that keeps me returning to El Reg. How would I face Monday morning without hope of reading about the knitwear worn by hard working space chickens?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Space Chickens

Not just space chickens. Rubber Chickens from Beyonf the Stratosphere. Where's Ed Wood when you need him.

3. Ketlan
    Thumb Up

This is quite possibly the best article I've read on the Register. Funny AND interesting - who could ask for more?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would Sue be up to the challenge of outfitting LOHAN's brave Playmobilnaut with a miniature Pringle sweater?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chick out that expression

It's a bit disturbing that the chicken features the surprised look of a sex doll.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chick out that expression

In all my long years on this earth I have never once thought 'sex doll' when looking at a rubber chicken ..

6. h4rm0ny

One day...

...civilisation will collapse. Many will survive however and recovering amidst the plentiful ruins or an advanced society, this future generation will once again quickly discover space flight. They will want to know what the Ancients were doing up there, they will have legends of artifacts that flew around the world and passed our voices between continents. In a ramshackle cargo-cult spaceship pieced together from old plans and new discoveries, these people will achieve orbit.

And then a rubber chicken in a knitted jumper will bounce off their windscreen and their minds will BLOW.

7. Anomynous Coward

Balloon burst

What an awesome picture - was that a fluke or did they have it in mind when fitting the upward-pointing camera?

8. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

Call Lester and the SPB

Someone should find out what the trigger was to capture the balloon burst. The SPB might be able to use it for Lohan.

Unless its just a video stream still of course. Even then a camera focused on the balloon with a simple contrast detection routine might be usable for Lohan.

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Brilliant, just brilliant!

Few people can say their knitwear was used by NASA, someone give her medal!

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. jon 72
    Joke

Conquest of Space

Good to see Britian is still contributing expertise to the conquest of space. Give it a couple of years and who knows maybe descendants of LOHAN will safely take an egg into space and safely return it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Godspeed, yarned hen!!

Double points if you pick up on that reference

Well, the "Special Relationship" is alive and well! We may not be able to solve Afghanistan or come up with a coherent solution around the economic weakness in Europe, but the U.S. and Britain can work together to put a sweater on a rubber chicken!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like