back to article China steps up crack down on hi-tech exam cheats

The Chinese ministry of education has been forced to update its rules prohibiting cheating in college entrance exams to take account of the increasingly ingenious hi-tech methods used by desperate students and their parents to succeed in the hugely important exams. State-run news agency Xinhua said the government made 15 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. h4rm0ny

I'm confused

I thought copying someone else's work was the approved method in China...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

cheating or infringing?

It would certainly be life changing for those caught cheating, but so long as you are only infringing copyright you will be fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Electronics in education.

This reminds me of when I was at school. There was one lad who was severely dyslexic, so the school gave him a laptop to work on. This was fine for making notes in class, but proved a bit of a problem when it was prohibited from the exam hall and he had to write with a pen for the first time in years.

3. This Side Up
    Coat

by the book

"Public Security Bureau officials have even been called in to make sure everything is done by the book."

... or the eBook?

4. Fractured Cell
    Facepalm

Whatever happened to the good old fashioned method of writing on your wrist, under your watch?

Kids these days. Pheh.

5. Goobertee
    Headmaster

The Queen's English

Beg pardon, "morally ambiguous" doesn't seem to describe the individuals being talked about. I'm thinking "ambivalent" is a little closer, but "naughty" would do even better.

Even being merkin, I like whoever thought up "errant pedantry, up with which I shall not put" and its variations. Apocrypha, indeed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is endemic in education in China at all levels

Though I am not Chinese, I live and work in China, teaching in various universities. This report does not surprise me, though the extent of cheating in China is far more extensive than one might guess at first. In my classes and exams, cheating is done routinely, so much so that my Chinese academic colleagues often have given up trying to deal with it. If cheating is found out, and the students ejected from the examination room (as I have done), the reaction is often outrage and an explanation that I am not used to the way things are done in China: universities apparently do not take cheating as a serious issue.

Even though the courses I teach are overseen by a non-Chinese educational body, if I pointed out how much cheating is done, they would react appropriately, and the courses would be withdrawn, which leads to many being reluctant to lose their livelihood of teaching because of this (even I have this pressure on me, so I have tried to use softly-softly approaches, but being too outspoken against it leads to universities generally being unwilling to employ you at all)

Many of the students I teach hope to go to the UK and USA to study further. I have tried to tell them that, within 5 minutes of beginning an exam, almost all of them would have already been failed in the UK and USA because they talk openly with each other, go out dialing numbers on their phones (they are not banned in universities), and, if you are attempting to supervise an exam on a course you have taught, they openly ask you how to answer a question, and say to each other in Chinese how you are a bad teacher of you refuse to help them.

For these reasons, I am deeply sceptical of all results on applications tyo study in the UK now, and even think that the so-called highest educational achievements in the world claimed to be coming from China cannot be believed because the endemic nature of cheating in school exams means that I cannot be sure the results were achieved without cheating (which the report agrees can be very sophisticated and subtle).

Why has this come about? It is the end-result of enormous pressure being put on students from parents, and, more importantly, from teachers who will be fired if their performance (the number of students who get very high scores in exams) drops below a certain level. In essence, cheating has become a means by which students can cope and survive an extremely abusive system that they are forced to go through. That means, even when those pressures are removed somewhat, as at university level, the cheating idea is so ingrained they just do it as normal behaviour.

Obviously, for all the above reasons (I have Chinese family by marriage I am responsible for in China), I am being anonymous here.

1. Chris Sake

... and has been so throughout the ages

The qualification is the goal, not the knowledge.

Ye Shi in the Song dynasty wrote, "A healthy society cannot come about when people study not for the purpose of gaining wisdom and knowledge but for the purpose of becoming government officials."

Cheating occurred in the Imperial Examinations in China, although bribery was probably more effective, or having a better scholar than oneself take the exams instead.

Methods included writing notes in miniature books, and on items like clothing and fans. Here is a photo of underwear used by such a cheat:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/sebastian1222/05.jpg

A jacket follows:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-11/17/content_11565310.htm

The Daily Telegraph describes some books used for cheating, though I do think sometimes that modern journalists must have been educated in the same subjects as the ancient Chinese; to wit, without any mathematics or logic (the article mentions one book with 32 million characters on 32 pages):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5834418/Ancient-Chinese-cheat-sheets-discovered.html

2. Pperson
      Unhappy

Re: It is endemic in education in China at all levels

Thanks for that post, Anon - a very personal insight into what must be a difficult situation for you, having to in effect condone methods that will only lead to degradation of the student's themselves - and all because the system is so focused on numbers and statistics. Speak up and you'll be replaced by someone who doesn't care: self-reinforcement of the system. Sad to say, it looks like the rest of the world is travelling on the same path and not that far behind.

7. mhenriday
    Pint

Cheating on exams ?

四海之内皆兄弟也。。。。

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like