back to article Amazon drops planned 8.9in Kindle Fire for 10.1in job

Amazon, it has been claimed, will be dropping a version of the Kindle Fire it might, maybe, put into production in favour of a different model that it could, possibly make in the future. Yes, the mooted 8.9in Fire, recently the subject of rumour, is to be replaced by a no less vaporous 10.1in Fire as Amazon, it's said some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Durdy
    Unhappy

But why..

Have they still not released the original Fire in the UK, and when is the Amazon app store (with a daily free Android app) coming to the UK?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But why..

Not just the UK but Europe.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would very much like to buy a large Kindle and wish there were a competitive "DX+" device out there.

A fact which is about as newsworthy as today's rumors.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

Larger eInk

"I would very much like to buy a large Kindle and wish there were a competitive "DX+" device out there."

Agreed.

A4 & Letter size PDF documents

2 x paper back pages side by side

The shops are full of regular size Kindle and also there is some online competiton. But the DX is only online and the only one that size I know and WAY too expensive. Is the display made out of rare pearls or unicorn tears? The rest of the hardware can be done for maybe $10 excluding WiFi, 3G and storage. If it had an SD card slot and USB socket (power and read/write the SD card) would be enough.

If I want WiFi, Web pages, video, 3G etc I'll buy a regular Android tablet.

4. Peter Mount

10" kindle might be better than 8.9"

As the original is a 7 incher it would make more sense for them to bring out a 10 inch & target apple.

I'd have to say that in the month since I've had my fire (rooted & rebuilt obviously) it's been pretty impressive.

PS: I couldn't wait for Amazon to release it over here & rooting was a doddle

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad (for those heavy days) want to go smaller and fire larger??

1. LordWilmore

No no, it's not that they want to "go" either way, they want to offer a 7 _and_ 10 inch option.

Sent from my kindle fire (running cm7).

6. tmTM

More Crap

from Digitimes.

Please, they don't even know what the truth is anymore.

7. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

About time

A six inch screen is fine for novels etc. but technical documents require a larger display so I would defintiely buy a ten inch reader.

8. Philip Lewis
    IT Angle

large ePaper

Sony had (do they still have it) a larger eInk reader but only available in the US. I don't think it survived the last technology upgrade.

I find the current "standard* eReader size too small and would prefer a larger format.

I am the minority is seems.

9. robin penny
    Thumb Up

A 4:3 Aspect ratio then? Could bust the market wide open!

At last are we going to see a premium competitor for Apple with a proper 4:3 aspect ratio screen?

Storage Options are currently showing the way with the Scroll Extreme/Elite range, which I strongly suspect are selling like hot cakes if the user reviews are anything to go by.

I'm very happy with mine, although looking slightly enviously at the GPS capability available elsewhere, but only in letterbox format, or in the iPad which of course is inferior where the SD slot & USB capability is concerned and costs an awful lot more.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like