back to article Mobile TV will reach 244 million by 2011, says report

TV enabled handsets will reach a staggering 244 million devices by 2011, according to a new report. This is almost double the number previously forecast, and was reached by a detailed look into the likely mobile TV launch dates and the uptake rate expected in 55 countries. Accumulated global mobile TV enabled handsets The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will never succeed in the UK...

... unless operators radically change their data rate charges and 3G reception is drastically improved.

Not to mention they need some content worth watching on a mobile. I for one can't really think of a reason why I'd want to watch anything on a mobile, but anyway.

2. A. Lewis

In other news...

Betamax will be the new video format of choice, 8-track will replace the ipod, and everyone will have a tablet PC instead of a desktop.

3. Paul

Great, just what society needs

Oh that's just peachy, give the sheep a way to stay plugged in to their mindless entertainment anywhere and everywhere they go. Now they'll be able to ignore the world around them without having to call or text someone else, even in the unlikely event of being somewhere that doesn't already have at least half a dozen TVs beaming out at everyone and tuned to the lowest common denominator.

Social interaction? Is that like when you text your vote in for "<insert reality show here>"?

Don't even get me started on the plonkers who'll inevitably try to watch TV while eating their drive-thru fast food and weaving along the highway at 60mph...

4. Dillon Pyron

Big screen vs little screen

With the huge uptake of big screen TVs, why would anyone want to watch content on a 2 inch screen? In low def? With dodgy audio? I guess it could happen, but I'm not putting any real money on it taking off like the "experts" say it will.

I got my CS degree in 1978. AI was "just around the corner" according to the "experts". That's some corner.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm

"244 million devices by 2011, according to a new report."

Which was sponsored by the industry who develops Acme products, the survey was carried out by the tooth fairy who questioned 1000 corpses.

Its hypershite from another industry product trying to justify its existence - I believe Virgin recently got their fingers scolded with this, so if the rest of the industry does not pay attention? shame on them.

6. Fluffykins Silver badge

Just like Digital TV

Loads of channels. Loads of choice

But nothing to choose.

Given that the Internet on a mobile is really for quick odd use - train times, etc., do these sages really think the great unwashed are going to be interested in watching Neighbo(u)rs (Yeech) on a 3" screen?

7. Rob

Doubt it...

... will get that sort of revenue/be that successful. But on the other hand I'm not quite sure of the stats concerning the MTV generation, which will be the only hardcore audience.

I still can't see how the networks will be able to sustain that sort of usage that they are indicting in the report.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like