back to article Sony to add full HD display to 15in Ivy Bridge laptop

Two laptop lines were refreshed by Sony this morning: the Vaio E and S. The existing 14in E gains a new "wrap-around" look and 15.5in and 17.3in siblings. The bigger machines go on sale early in June, Sony said, but neither qualifies for Ivy Bridge chippery. Sony Vaio E 17in Instead we have a Core i5-2450M backed by 6GB of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

Yawn

1920 x 1080 should be baseline. It is not 'impressive' in any known language.

1. dogged

Re: Yawn

Hold on...

You finally get a laptop article with that resolution you bitch about on every other laptop article and... you bitch about it?

Colour me confused.

1. annodomini2
        Thumb Down

Yes, but the article tries to describe it as something new, whereas many laptops have had 1080p and 1200p screens for years.

2. Robert E A Harvey
        Headmaster

@dogged

In 'every other article' I have suggested that in this day and age we should be seeing a Miniumum of 1200 vertical pixels, and would expect more than 1500. I had CRT monitors with 1600 vertical pixels at the turn of the century, and >1200 vertical pixels in a 2004 dell laptop.

I really don't think that 1080 is anywhere near enough. On the 15 inch screen that works out at around 147dpi, fractionally less than a Motorola Zoom tablet. The Disgo 8100 tablet, manages 117 and that only costs 99 quid. The Galaxy S3 phone is 306dpi.

2. Chet Mannly

"1920 x 1080 should be baseline. It is not 'impressive' in any known language"

+10

Its sad when laptops 6-7 years ago had higher resolutions than that, even sadder when the reviewer calls 1080 "impressive" when there are tablets with much better resolution than the laptop he's reviewing!!

2. fLaMePrOoF

Pricing?

3. David Buckle
    WTF?

Big friggin' deal!

I've got a full HD display on my laptop. Its a dell Inspiron and has 1920x1200 display.

I bought it 10 YEARS AGO in 2002 and still works perfectly.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive

"an impressive 1920 x 1080 resolution"

Please, please please, get out of my industry as you're lowering the bar for all of us.

5. no_RS

Will they get the colour right this time?

The previous SE15 screen is the same resolution but the red comes out orange, major cockup by Sony, wonder if the new version is any better

6. measmyself
    Angel

XBOX is better

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like