back to article Yellow Pages targets zombie survivalist market

Australia’s Yellow Pages will hand out A$2500 to the developer whose app best assists users to survive a zombie invasion and/or apocalypse … with the aid of the popular business directory. The reason for the prize is the API that Sensis, publisher of the Yellow Pages in Australia, offers developers who wish to link to dredge …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike 29
    WTF?

insufficient

$2500 wouldn't be enough to develop the app if I were guaranteed payment... why would you compete for that?

1. It Wasn't Me, I Swear.
      WTF?

Re: insufficient

I'd guess that the YP thinks that people will do it for the "fame". Maybe a student that wants to experiment... hence the 'zombie' all-the-rage-these-days-donchyaknow.

Good luck with that. These people paid $124K for a magazine app, http://www.technologyreview.com/business/40319/ and didn't get much out of it - YP hope they can do it on the cheap.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a coincidence

This is an amazing coincidence. I was just thinking the other day that Yellow Pages is a zombie and someone should put it out of it's misery, and now *this*...

Good bye Yellow/White Pages. I won't miss the million trees per year you used to kill to make your books.

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: What a coincidence

I was thinking that myself! Death, zombies and surviving the end of things are probably on the Sensis people's minds a lot at present.

3. Neoc

Sensis sucks

Yellow Pages was doing alright - gave me back what I was looking for when doing searches. Then they introduced Sensis.

Now, unless you know exactly what it is you're looking for and type it in the correct order, forget it! I have since moved to using Google to find businesses locally.

4. LinkOfHyrule
    Coat

The Yellow Pages is totally useless these days - even the paper its printed on is to thin to use as toilet paper! I know of no other use for it other than for those occasions when you need a breeze block to throw at someone but you don't have any to hand! Good old yellow pages!

5. Echowitch
    Thumb Up

Funny that literally a stones throw away from Yellow Pages UK HQ is an indoor airsoft site that gives a Zombie experience. In fact they have another one on this weekend :)

Google "First & Only Airsoft"

1. Reue

Different

Different and completely unrelated company.

2. LinkOfHyrule
      Happy

Those two places must be at least a five minuet walk apart from each other - you could maybe shave a minuet off by going up Smelly Alley though. Dose it still stink of fish by the way? Not been for a while, I managed to escape the place ten years ago, the town became a bit too Microsofty for my liking!

6. ForthIsNotDead
    Paris Hilton

Here's my submission

void yellowPagesApp(void)

{

printf("We're sorry, the yellow pages site is unavailable for the forseeable future, due to the fact that the entire world has been overtaken by zombies. Due to the fact we ourselves are now zombies, we are unable to give an estimate as to when service is likely to resume. Please check back later. Assuming that your phone provider isn't yet a seething throng of zombies. And assuming (of course) that the power grid stays up.\n\n While we come to think of it, there's not much point in using the yellow pages right now, since all our advertisers have also turned into zombies. We're sorry for the inconvenience.");

}

Can I have my A$2500 now, please?

Paris. Because even she knows that when the world has been overtaken by zombies, you're not really very likely, if we're brutally honest with ourselves, to say "I know - I'll just check the yellow pages."

7. I'm Brian and so's my wife
    Terminator

I, for one...

... welcome our new zombie overlords, etc.

Oh - austerity measures on icons? Best fit selected.

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Meanwhile your can admire the Zombie Mod for Arma II

Looks good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI7C5xlNXHc

9. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Simple solution...

... get a load of yellow pages, suspend above zombie and drop at the opportune moment.

Can I have my money, please?

10. Irongut
    FAIL

What do you need to know when the dead rise and walk the earth?

That there will be nowhere to charge your smartphone so this app will be useless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like