back to article Hyundai Veloster coupé

Tradition dictates that cars look the same from the left as the right. Not Hyundai’s new hatchback coupé, though. It has a rear door on the passenger's side but not on the driver’s. Clever idea or gimmick? More to the point, will it lure buyers away from the the obvious alternatives, the VW Scirocco and Vauxhall Astra GTC? …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Why

I find apple rumours have more IT content than this clarkson.

2. DPWDC

Any chance of a photo of THE OTHER side?

It'd be good to have photos of both sides open and shut, rather than all of the 1 door side shut, and all of the 2 door side open...

1. Sarev

Re: Any chance of a photo of THE OTHER side?

I was wondering if it was just me thinking this... :)

3. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Trollface

Shame! Why do el Reg car and camera reviews involve a reviewer who actually tries things out?

Instead, you could be carrying on the fine tradition of el Reg's printer/audio/visual brochure reviews.

4. Scott Broukell
    Thumb Down

Why

do they even bother with a rear window with these things !? There's no point to it, honestly. Just turn the area around the boot(let) into (ever so slightly), greater storage space - then you could get four pairs of shoes, a bag of frozen chips AND a pet hamster in there.

5. Tom_

So... what?

But WHY doesn't it have back doors on both sides?

1. David Gosnell

Re: So... what?

Because they miscalculated when ordering panels, and made it a "feature" to cover it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Panel 'miscalculation'?

It's a fine tradition, made famous by the AMC Pacer ('Mirthmobile').

They ordered doors of two different lengths and then put the longer door on the side furthest from the kerb. I'm told it worked better in countries which don't know any better and drive on the wrong side.

6. b166er

Echoed above, no shot of the nearside with door shut !?

If the price drops because of the omission of the offside rear door, then I'm all for it, however, I suspect the price will drop for a while and then simply normalise to where it was providing no benefit to the customer and more profit to the manufacturer.

So I'll keep buying 4/5 door cars.

7. cs94njw
    IT Angle

IT angle?

1. Danny 14
      Megaphone

really?

Did you not see the ipod cable?

ITS AN IPOD CABLE! IN A CAR!

8. Ian Davies
    WTF?

You lost me...

...right at this bit:

"It certainly cuts more of a dash than the Scirocco"

9. IO-IO
    Flame

duh!

Cheap and nasty car (and butt ugly) - worse review.

Not sure what this has to do with IT. No self-respecting IT person would be seen dead in one of those.

Takes more than calling stuff "kit" to write an interesting motoring piece.

More top-fail than top-gear.

10. Kubla Cant

Volester?

Am I the only one who read the name as "Volester"? Am I the only one to think this is a funny name? Remember the Truckster in National Lampoon's Vacation?

Then again, Skoda actually markets a car called Roomster, so maybe it's not really funny.

1. Anakin

Re: Volester?

That kidnapping door on the left side make me think of Molester

And how about the rest of the world where we drive on the right side of the road and not on the wrong side.

Is the back door on the same side?

11. Andy
    Thumb Up

these are actually very nice cars and those hating are clearly "badge snobs". i have driven these when some arrived at the local docks where i used to work. Hyundais in general are well specced and good value for money, depreciation is really no worse than say a vw only you pay a lot less on the forecourt. after sales service is very good as well..

12. K
    Meh

After the Scirocco and GTI markets..

.. The engine needs more va va z00m!

In recent years I've Focus ST, Megane RS and a couple of others, all of which cost me a few pennies over £20k each fully spec'd up, all of them would leave this car standing.

I love the looks of it, but when you hit this price range, its under the bonnet that counts. For this kind of money and to compete, they more powerful engines. If this came with something like the VW 2.0 170BHP TDI engine, I've be heading to forecourt rather than writing this.

1. Al Taylor
      Thumb Up

Re: After the Scirocco and GTI markets..

There is actually a 184bhp turbo version due soon. To be honest I'd rather like a Veloster with the 134bhp 1.7CRDi turbo-diesel motor out of the i40.

2. annodomini2

Re: After the Scirocco and GTI markets..

"In recent years I've Focus ST, Megane RS and a couple of others, all of which cost me a few pennies over £20k each fully spec'd up, all of them would leave this car standing."

More like £25k base, £30k spec'd up now.

13. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Modern Cars

Can someone please explain to me:

£19,690. For a quite, bog-standard, ordinary car. The USB/iPod stuff? What's that? A £5 chip nowadays stuck into just about any radio you buy? Hell, the digital photo frame I got brand-new for £20 can play MP3's, navigate my folders, etc. on a 7" screen, so the entire kit can't be worth more than a £100 or so?

And then you get stuck with weird doors, a 1.6 engine, cramped legroom, no bootspace, stupidly tiny rear windows, and - just about - 45mpg.

Last time I fired up Torque OBD on my 1995 1.8 Mondeo, it got 40mpg on average everywhere I went. Now, sure, that difference adds up over time but this car cost me £300 and I've probably spent less than that again on it in three years, and mostly for worn tyres! Call it £700 to get the in-car entertainment to the same level, and that's still never going to make the money back in its usable life based on an old scrapheap of a car (which has passed the last two MOT's with "zero comments" first time). And yet I can put a shed into my car (I have done, and a lot more besides), seat 5 passengers comfortably (and 4 of them get a door to themselves), have total vision on the rear of the car, and have no more difficulty parking it than any other.

And yet, still some people call THIS a cheap and nasty car. The amount of money being urinated away on cars in this country must be phenomenal, not to mention the "4x4 to go 100 yards makes my kids safer" crowd.

What, precisely, is the attraction in a new car? No repair bills (I'm no mechanic myself)? Lower road tax (Seriously? Averaged over a year of use?)? All you seem to get is more and more expense (god knows what a dent costs on that thing, or a smashed tail-light, or the insurance, or the service costs to keep the warranty, etc.). What am I missing about cars that makes people want to buy junk like this?

1. Andrew James

Re: Modern Cars

Its the fear of the unknown. You buy new, and you pay for servicing and a warranty and the "joy" of being the only person to have driven that car in any meaningful way.

Buy used, and if you dont know what you're doing you could buy an absolute stinker, or you might get lucky and buy something decent. But its more of a gamble without a warranty to fall back on etc.

I've had cheap used cars, and I've had new cars... and overall i think the happy zone falls somewhere in the middle with nearly new.

1. Andrew James

Actually as an example of this;

A colleague here knows nothing about cars. Her husband is mechanically minded and buys her a new car every couple of years at auction for no more than £500. He gets it mechanically sound and road legal and she uses it until she, or it, has had enough. The cycle is then repeated. During my two years working here she's on her second car and has been for some time and is talking of a replacement. Its probably cost in the region of £2000 for the cars and parts required - brakes, suspension, body panels etc - to get them roadworthy from purchase. So roughly £80 per month, say, plus the cost of tyres and everything that all road users incur.

In that same time frame i've been driving a car bought new in 2004. Its worth about £10k less than I paid for it, its cost about £2000 in servicing and repairs. So in 8 years (almost to the day) its cost about £12,000 in repairs and depreciation. Only £1,500 per year. So not much more expensive than the "cheap option" taken by my colleague.

Most of the expense incurred has been due to always taking the car to the main dealer and not using smaller private garages for repairs when required - through personal preference and convenience of location.

Also. Shiney new car is more shiney and more new. Etc.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
          Headmaster

I notice you don't count purchase price in your car, while you do in her's... apples to oranges there, mate.

1. Swarthy

Re: Modern Cars (@ Gene Cash)

But he is counting the depreciation of his. As the "cheaper option" probably has no (appreciable) re-sale value, I find this acceptable.

However the annual rate for his expenditures vice the per monthly for hers is a bit off-putting, especially when the 250 quid/year difference is more than a 25% increase.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>As the "cheaper option" probably has no (appreciable) re-sale value, I find this acceptable.

Down to car choice really - I know more than a few people who buy at auction, get a years motoring and show a profit overall when they sell. Hard to do that with a new car unless its a Veyron or something.

However you spin it, with a new car you're gifting the treasury a very big chunk of cash, then seeing £1000s disappear off the value as your 'new' car becomes a low mileage second hand on the trip home from the showroom.

1. Danny 14

"Down to car choice really "

Some people also buy new cars cheaply. I bought a black titanium tdci smax for a paid price of about 18k (I needed to pay for tax and delivery, also this was after cashbacks and finance rebates + a £500 trade in that only cost me £500 to buy in the first place! so my trade in appreciated) brand new first registration - it should be noted that the finance was settled after month 1 for penalty of 1 month interest. It didnt depreciate in the first year. I could still sell it now for £12k. £6k depreciation in 3 years I would say is a result and certainly better than buying an 8 year old mondeo doing it up and selling it on (IMHO).

This was hardly deal of the century, "drive the deal" and "deal drivers" were churning these deals out.

1. Danny 14

I just did a quick look on deal drivers. You can get a brand new focus titanium for £15300 1.6T eco 6 speed, or a ford direct 60 plate 13k mileage 1.6 tdci titanium for £13k. That doesnt factor in the £1000 finance rebate you can get for the new one (bringing it to 14300 on the road delivered) that wouldnt be available on the direct option.

Sensible purchasing works for both methods.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

>ford direct 60 plate 13k mileage 1.6 tdci titanium for £13k.

Alternatively, pick one up for half that at auction and keep the dealer's profit - they're in it to take your money afterall.

>can get a brand new focus titanium for £15300 1.6T eco 6 speed

Private Autotrader price for last years is £10/11K, repo auction for a couple of months old less than 2/3 of that - dealers don't want them back and finance companies have insurance.

Alternatively buy a decent, driveable and tax-free 2 year old pre-depreceated Merc/Audi under factory warranty and have a nice family holiday with the change. Still its your money!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The other thing he's not counting is the value of having a skilled and trustworthy mechanic available to select the vehicle and get it up and running. I suspect they balance out pretty well after you factor that in. If you're good with cars, then you can fixup your own. If you're not, then you'll be happier with one that won't require much fixing.

2. Chz

I think, given that throughout the downturn corporate new car purchases have outnumbered consumer ones, most people have been taking the middle option of buying a car that's just a couple years old with low mileage. You miss the biggest depreciation hit and you get a car that still has some manufacturer's warranty on it.

We wanted a Nissan Note. New they're something like £13k for the way ours is equipped. A one year old one with 8000 miles was just over £9k. It may as well be new. You have to factor in that most people don't want to switch cars all the time. It may be economical, but it's also a pain in the arse. Plus you get used to things, and so on. We only swapped the 05 Micra because we had another kid and needed the space - we're normally the sort to drive a car until it's no longer economical. A modern car easily puts in 10 years service if you look after it well, so it'll be a helluva long time before I have to bother with this nonsense again.

If you love cars and can fix them yourself, it's an entirely different story. But that's not exactly a huge portion of the populace, is it? And I stress the "love cars" part, because while I'm perfectly capable of performing basic repairs, I seriously can't be arsed to on an economy miniMPV that's our daily driver. Back when I had an E24 635CSi that only saw sunny weekends, different story. :)

14. johnnymotel
    Facepalm

page one...easier rear entry

that made me smile!

15. Andy Miller

BL did it best

I've got a colleague who used to work for BL. He tells me that a batch of Allegros were built like this by mistake; one side of the line had been set up for 4 doors and the other for 2 doors.

An enterprising salesman sold the lot to a Police force, on the ground that they could put a ne'er-do-well in the back, and they only needed to put one bobby in to stop them getting out.

16. Fihart

@ Andy Miller

There is a legend that BL built some three door cars by accident -- but I just don't believe their Marketing people would have had the smarts to flog them to the cops. Typically, they would have been crushed.

Incidentally, did anyone notice that there's a modern Mini with only a single rear passenger door -- but regardless of the fact that the car is built in Britain the door is on the right hand side !

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drag

>so all the sculpting does have a practical benefit.

Nope, they start out making it look nice and curvy then work on aerodynamics - its drag co-efficient is actually worse than the barge-like Audi 100 (0.30/.31) I was driving 20 years ago, but no-one would buy a car that shape these days....

18. cosymart
    FAIL

Two 12v Power Sockets...

When is someone going to take the bull by the horns and put proper 12v sockets in a modern car and not keep on fitting those stupid, massive, ugly cigar lighters that masquerade as a 12v connector.!!! Come on it's the 21st century.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: Two 12v Power Sockets...

Well, we motorcyclists at least get Hella/DIN sockets which are an improvement, until you realise that all the accesories you want to power your gizmos, require that you remove the excrescence and solder a Hella pug on to it.

2. /dev/null
      Stop

Re: Two 12v Power Sockets...

But what is a "proper" 12V connector? The cigar lighter socket has been a de facto standard for an in-car power supply for decades now - what would you change it to?

19. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Hyundai eh?

Once bitten, twice shy.

20. Truffle
    FAIL

Why does the review keep on banging on about it's good looks?!

It's hideous!

Looks like the elephant man and Adele's love child. Woeful MPG as well for a small engined modern car. I drive a 300bhp, 2 litre turbo car, which is nearly 15 years old and I still see around 35mpg, the reviewer only got 38 in this heap (and i bet my 35 put alot more smiles on my face!).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed. Maybe the reviewer is blind? For a supposedly "sporty" car, as the name implies, they're presumably selling style and the suggestion of performance. Now, maybe a three doored bread van does count as style and performance in Korea (and the Reg offices), but to me it seems a long and downhill road from the beautiful CCS concept that Hyundai came up with quite a few years back (basically taking the now outgoing Coupe, and giving it a drop top)..

21. /dev/null
    Thumb Down

So if they could squeeze two doors on one side, what's the point of only having one on t'other? I suppose there will be some weight saving but it'll be marginal.

And that must be the smallest back window since a 1949 VW Beetle - might as well not be there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The idea is that the driver can swagger towards his car, kidding himself that he's a carefree youngster who only needs two doors, whilst out of sight (almost) and out of mind (almost) the tribe clamber in on the other side. It's a pitiful idea, really, but given the existence of some really pretty and desirable cars, this new Hyundai jobby is required not by the market, but by the laws of the universe in order to balance the normal distribution.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing

the idea is that the one passenger door is on the side of the pavement assuming you park in the direction of traffic flow

seems obvious to me

23. John 62
    FAIL

looks

I would prefer the i30/Cee'd for looks over this.

This topic is closed for new posts.