back to article Road deaths spark crackdown on jaywalking texter menace

Cops in Fort Lee have fined 117 pedestrians in a fortnight for jaywalking while engrossed in their smartphone screens - after three people died by wandering into traffic. So far this year officers have warned 575 citizens in the New Jersey borough that they risked, apart from death, an $85 (£52) ticket for strolling into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Darwin rules

Fuck'em. Survival of the least stupid is important for the species...this is just a natural filter in process.

1. JimC

Re: Darwin rules

That's all very well, but its rather hard on the innocent driver who has to go through life with the image of the gene pool no-contributor bouncing off their vehicle...

1. ItsNotMe
        Devil

Re: Re: Darwin rules

Wouldn't bother me one bit Jimbo. The sooner the gene pool is purged of idiots like this the better.

Remember...there are no lifeguards at the gene pool.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
          WTF?

@ItsNotMe

OK so you've never made a fuck up and got a second chance at something? What a perfect little life you must lead, you smug bastard!

I fell out of a moving car when I was 5 years old, it was only doing 20mph and my Mum panic liked crazy and I had to stay in hospital overnight. Perhaps she should have just said, "Sorry, no lifeguards on duty son, too bad!" and left me to bleed to death by the side of the road? We both learned valuable lessons that day. That was back in the early 70's and she became a serious campaigner for the compulsory wearing of seat belts and I learned not to be so bloody stupid.

1. ItsNotMe
            Facepalm

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

"I fell out of a moving car when I was 5 years old,..."

Must explain your current state of mind then. Fell on your head did you?

2. kiwimuso

Oooh Fuzzy, you're waaay too sensitive.

Why is he a smug bastard? Your answer is EXACTLY the point he was making.

YOU learned NOT to be an idiot.

This is the whole point - take responsibility for your own actions. If everyone did that there would certainly be far fewer accidents in the world, but nevertheless, accidents will still happen despite the best of intentions.

"At least they didn't want to make a new law."

No, but I doubt that fining the idiot will make any difference to the the offender or the others out there who do this all the time. Witness the last guy's comments.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: innocent driver

> rather hard on the innocent driver who has to go through life with the image of the gene pool no-contributor bouncing off their vehicle..

It's the US, so only a matter of time before such a driver sues the deceased's estate to soothe the distress caused.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds good to me.

Now if only the UK's Met police would start handing out some tickets to the cyclists who seem to spend even less time looking where they are going than these iZombie pedestrians.

Only yesterday I almost put one over the bonnet of my car as I pulled away at a green light... Along he came, from the right (where he'd obviously jumped an orange or red light) and was looking over his right shoulder the whole time when it might have been wise to be paying attention to the slab of steel pulling out of the junction in front of him from the left. Luckily one of us was paying attention.

If I rode my motorbike with that level of care in London I'd be dead within a week.

I'm sure that within the month there will be another heart wrenching story about a father of 2 killed on his bicycle on the way to/from a charity fund-raiser, but it's getting harder and harder for me to feel much sympathy for the cyclist. Sure there are some shocking drivers out there, but they're not the ones who will end up on the slab. So please, pedal pushers, for f*ck's sake try to pay attention! To pinch a phrase from the motorcycle world - treat everyone on the road as if they are a f*cking idiot out to kill you, because the invariably are.

Queue flames from 100% if El Reg cyclists, who have never ever ever done anything but follow the highway code by the letter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yawn....

There's a percenatage of inept cyclists, there's a percentage of inept car drivers - and horror of horrors there's a percentage of inept motorcyclists as well. The trouble with motorcyclists is that the the menaces are in a majority. I'll gladly do as you say and treat you as a f*cking idiot, but it's because my experience leads me to believe that there's a significant chance that you are a f*cking idiot.

1. Vic

> The trouble with motorcyclists is that the the menaces are in a majority.

This is not true.

Sadly, many car drivers feel the need to "educate" motorcyclists, despite not actually knowing what thay are talking about...

Vic.

1. Graham Marsden
            Boffin

> The trouble with motorcyclists is that the the menaces are in a majority.

BALDERDASH!

From the Department of Transport:

4.1 Right of way violations

Of the total cases, 681 (38%) involve ROWVs. However, less than 20% of these involve a motorcyclist who rated as either fully or partly to blame for the accident. The majority of motorcycle ROWVaccidents have been found to be primarily the fault of other motorists.

This is an even higher level of ‘non-blameworthiness’ in ROWVaccidents than that observed in other in-depth studies, e.g. Hurt et al. (1981) The majority of ROWVs occur at T-junctions, which are three times as common as roundabouts or crossroads. This finding is in accordance with the work of Hole, Tyrell and Langham (1996), who found that the majority of such accidents occurred at ‘uncontrolled’ (i.e. no stop light or sign with only give-way markings and/or signs

present) T-junctions in urban environments.

When these cases are examined, it can be seen that the most common failure of other drivers in motorcycle accidents is a failure in the continuity of their observation of the road scene. Over 65% of ROWV accidents where the motorcyclist is not regarded as to blame involve a driver who somehow fails to see a motorcyclist who should be in clear view, and, indeed, frequently is in view to witnesses or other road users in the area. Failures of observation that involve drivers failing to take account of restricted views of one kind or another, and failing to judge the approach speed and/or distance of a motorcyclist, are not included in this category.

Sometimes, accident-involved drivers in motorcycle accidents fail to see riders even when they are verifiably using visibility aids, such as daytime running lights and high-visibility protective clothing. This occurs in over 12% of such cases (but the level of use of these aids to visibility is felt to be under-reported by police).

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110509101621/http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme5/indepthstudyofmotorcycleacc.pdf

"Sorry Mate, I Didn't See you" really means "Sorry Mate, I Didn't Bother to LOOK Properly"!

1. Corinne

Good example from my past. A friend was riding her motorcycle along the road, sunny day, headlight on, wearing a shiny silver-blue one-piece bikers suit, with a fluorescent yellow "Sam Brown" belt on. Car pulled out of a side road straight into her.

Driver's excuse? "I was dazzled by all the reflective gear you were wearing". This was followed by "you must have been going far too fast" - my friend was riding a 50cc limited bike, incapable of doing more than the 30mph limit.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

More than 50% of the motorcyclists I encounter (ie, the majority), are selfish, rude and impatient. Whether they are the cause of more or less blameworthy accidents is neither here nor there. The majority are still selfish, rude and impatient.

1. Graham Marsden
                Thumb Down

"More than 50% of the motorcyclists I encounter (ie, the majority)"

Or do you mean the ones that you *notice* and remember? You probably don't even notice or remember the ones who are riding responsibily and safely.

2. Arthur Dent

Re: Darwin rules (AC 15th at 11:27)

For me, I'll say that roughly 90% of the pedal cyclists I encounter ignore road signs, traffic lights, and the rules of the road in general; they are often pretty ill-mannered and obnoxious too, jeering at people they have inconvenienced or harmed by their rotten behaviour. If all you can say about mortorcyclists is that "more than 50%" are rude and impatient I guess you encounter far nicer motorcyclists than I do pedal cyclists. Of course car drivers are pretty bad too - a lot will deliberately drive at pedestrians when there is no footway, waving at them to get off the road (presumably to try to walk along the tope of a hedge that won't take their weight). I personally think motorcyclists are generally the most polite and patient of road users, although it's more than half a century since I was last on a motorbike.

2. swampdog

"The trouble with motorcyclists is that the the menaces are in a majority"

Policeman related to me during my advanced test.. he was sat there stationary at lights when a car he had overtaken caught him up then started pushing his bike forward repeatedly with the front of his car. Unfortunately most of us aren't able to dive off our machines and arrest the tossers.

2. Thecowking

As a cyclist, I quite agree that there's a lot of awful cyclists out there. Last Friday I had no fewer than three of them cut me up or pull out without warning when I was cycling home.

I tried to explain to my missus that the fine for pulling into traffic without looking should be a limb, but she thought that was harsh.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oi!

Where do cyclists come into the article?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Re: Darwin rules

Cyclists can come badly if colliding with a wandering phone user.

I would suggest the use of an Air Zounds horn but the happy wanderers tend to freeze like rabbits in a spotlight.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
            Paris Hilton

I think you need to use a Paris icon with that statement.

2. Andus McCoatover
            Windows

Other way round in my case. I was (legally*) riding on the footpath, and saw a tosser on his mobile, leave his car, and walk to the parking ticket machine. OK so far. Still on his mobile, he walks to the car, opens the door, ticket on dash, and locks car. By this time I was about 20 metres away, unbelievably said tosser walks *backward*, straight across my path. BANG!! I kept my balance, he went flying, his mobile bouncing off the bike, and land onto the pavement just in front of my wheels. Sickening crunch, I didn't even bother to stop. "That'll teach the fuc*ker!!!"

*In Finland, it's certainly inadvisable - if not illegal(?) - to ride on the road if there's a suitable footpath nearby.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Air Zounds horn

Worth a try. Perhaps the state of their underwear afterwards would give them cause to reflect the next time they text&walk.

4. Cyclist
        Thumb Up

If you read any cycling forum RLJers are despised, lowest of the low, scum of the earth second only to pavement pansies. Why? Not because they ever do much damage (except maybe to themselves) but because they give the rest of the cycle-hating car drivers an excuse to hate us.

Doesn't matter that a lot more of us (esp out in sticksville away from London) do obey the law when out on the road; one twunt doing a RLJ instantly puts all of us in there along with murders, rapists & paedophiles.

Me? I'd string em up, or have the police fine them on a par with similar offences committed by a driver. Personally I enjoy stopping at lights and baffling drivers who expect me to sail through regardless.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Cyclist

We don't hate you, a lot of us even pedal around ourselves occasionally.

BUT I agree string up RLJs and chavs on bikes.

3. Steve Evans

I can't wait to see how they twist this to be God's will and part of intelligent design.

1. Number6

Even God has to do production testing and expects the occasional failure.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't wait to see how they twist this to be God's will and part of intelligent design...

Well, In the beginning we were created as being genetically perfect, more or less, by our alien overlord.

Then, as you might know, over a longer period of time DNA breaks down and there are errors, which results in crap cyclists, disease, mental health issues, ConDem MPs, watching Corrie and Deadenders, etc, etc.

The reason that our creator allows this to happen is because we chose to essentially stick up two fingers to him and go on our own. So here we are a few thousand years later in the cesspit that we have created all by ourselves. Good innit?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

THATS NOT TRUE NOT EVRYONE IS A STINKING GENIUS LIKE ME AND YOU SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST NOT SMART AND NEED OUR PROTECTION

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Forget the Darwin awards - I think we need to start a 'King Lear re-enactment award' just for the 'bear exit' scene :-)

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Stupid rule!!

I must be allowed to keep up with the register anywhere, even whilst walking across the <SPLAT>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Had to break suddenly just the other day

... to avoid hitting an iSuppository user who walked out in the road in front of me. Darwin rule remains in force

1. Captain Hogwash
      Headmaster

Re: Had to break suddenly just the other day

Me too. I just fell to pieces.

1. JimC

Using break for brake appears to be a 19thC usage. If you look at, say, 19thC railway accident reports they use the ea spelling.

1. Silverburn
          Facepalm

Good job we still live in the 19th Century then. Oh wait...we don't.

1. Fred Dibnah
            Facepalm

Some people think they do: the Tory government is stuck firmly in the Victorian era.

I used to moan about having to avoid people who were texting as they ambled along, until I too received a must-read text which caused me to slip off the kerb and sprain my ankle. Never again.

Also reminds me of how my mum used to complain about the Saturday night drunks clogging up A&E, until she had one lunchtime glass of wine too many and ending up in A&E with all the other drunks. Never again again.

2. Mike Moyle
      Devil

Re: Darwin Rules; also Re: Had to break suddenly just the other day

@AC 14:46 "...iZombie pedestrians.:

@cornz1 "...Podestrians...

Y'know -- if more Android smartphones are sold than iPhones (as Android fans gleefully chortle about whenever the subject comes up) then, without actual numbers being presented, we have to assume that, statistically, the majority of people texting in traffic are DroidDroids rather than iZombies.

@AC13:39 "...iSuppository device...

Is that what one uses when one has a major case of And-rrhoids...?

3. tony
      Happy

In the last few weeks had to do an emergency stop twice to avoid hitting a pedestrian, that wasn't a problem people are dicks so you learn to expect and counter them. What pissed me off was they got aggressive about the fact that I didn't send my insurance premiums soaring.

4. Matthew Glubb
    Unhappy

Offensive

"Although it's an offence in the US"

Walking is practically an offence in the US. Any time I have walked along a road that isn't in a city centre, I have been stopped by a patrol car and they've asked me what I'm doing.

Or maybe I just have a suspicious gait...

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Offensive

The roads around Eden Prairie in Minnesota horrified me. They have pedestrian controls at junctions but unlike the UK where all motorised traffic stops while pedestrians have their way all that happens in EP is that the road you are crossing is stopped. The side roads are free to go. I don't think there was a separate pedestrian cycle at all.

So at a four way junction (very common) you have to keep an eye out for traffic exiting the junction from a side street.

1. Mr Nobody 1

Re: Offensive

...just like everywhere else then.

5. Anonymous John

Think of it as evolution in action.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Think of it as evolution in action.

except that it isn't evolution. Its the opposite of evolution. Its natural selection.

We can see natural selection happening, understand it and reproduce or tinker with it, which makes it pretty good science.

*cough*

6. Anonymous Coward 15
    Facepalm

Let them collect their own bloody Darwin award.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just pedestrians

Followed a scooter boy up the hill where I live.

He was getting slower and slower, it's hard to motorcycle when your texting.

I was tempted to give him a playful nudge, but gave him the horn instead.

1. JetSetJim
      Joke

Re: Not just pedestrians

So then he had the horn as well as texting? A bad combination that's sure to lead to a crash

2. King Jack
      Trollface

Re: Not just pedestrians

Is that the same guy that had an erection for 2 years because of ridding a motorbike?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Touch me, Stare me

I blame touchscreen phones. I could tap away on my keyboard phone quite happily without looking at the screen.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't fine them..

Fines serve no purpose instead remove and crush the phone.

10. Steve the Cynic
    Joke

They are called "mobstacles"

The idiots who walk at half speed or slower while gabbling or texting, usually in narrow places where you can't walk around them.

Oh, and...

Fuss, fuss... Drivers might or might not text with *alacrity*, which is largely a function of speed, but certainly do it with *impunity*.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I call them

iPodestrians, then there is their other name :Doners...

Fkin muppets either way....

1. Vic

Re: I call them

> then there is their other name :Doners

They're kebabs?

Vic.

2. Severen
      FAIL

Re: I call them

Mmm, kebab... :-)

3. Tasogare
      Unhappy

:Doners

First parsed as "Colon Doners".

12. Neil 44
    Joke

Can be funny though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW8xmI4w6U

still makes me chuckle.

Using you phone in the shopping mall can be risky too...

(total immersion of your phone probably isn't good for it either... wonder how the insurance claim was worded :) )

13. Eponymous Cowherd
    Joke

That wasn't a phone

It was a sat-nav

"Bear Ahead"? What do you mean "Bear Ahead"?

14. koolholio
    Go

I can imagine the slogan for another useless advertising campaign ---

"TH1NK, D0NT BE AN ID10T, D0NT TXT N WALK..."

1. Steve Evans

Nah, way too many vowels.

15. Number6

Nicked

I've always had a problem with jaywalking as an offence, I guess it comes from growing up in a country where we're taught common sense and the ability to judge traffic. Darwin takes care of the inattentive.

One of these days a cop in the US is going to get upset but so far I've managed to demonstrate my freedom to cross where I want to rather than slavishly walk all the way to the intersection even when there's negligible traffic.

Of course, one does have to be careful in California where it can induce panic braking in drivers a hundred yards or more away.

16. dr2chase

So, texting makes you invisible?

I don't get all the people piling on the person walking and texting. They're probably not walking very fast, and someone who's driving is supposed to be looking for hazards in the road. Someone walking near the road is someone who can step into the road; better slow down, in case they do.

Or is it Not Hitting People not the first priority of someone driving a car?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, texting makes you invisible?

W O W the stupidity is off the scale!! Are you a woman driver perhaps?

"Someone walking near the road is someone who can step into the road; better slow down, in case they do."

REALLY!! So no one goes anywhere unless it’s at 10MPH in case the fukwit paying ZERO ATTENTION to their surroundings decides to just STEP OUT WITHOUT WARNING!

I really hope you don't have a driver’s license.

1. Elmer Phud
        Flame

Eh?

"Are you a woman driver perhaps"

Wtf's that got to do with it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Relevance of woman driver

How about that a vast abundance of observed evidence indicates that as a rule women have no idea as to the appropriate priorities of attention whilst in command of a moving vehicle? This would be in addition to the usual complaints about the severe lack of any spatial awareness; inability to recognise important hazards within their field of vision; zero anticipation of the events which might unfold in traffic situations; extreme deficiency in observation skills and a common predisposition to act in an aggressive and inconsiderate manner.

Probability dictates that exceptions to this rule should exist, but I have never met one nor been exposed to an individual in the real world that constitutes such.

2. Miek

Re: So, texting makes you invisible?

"REALLY!! So no one goes anywhere unless it’s at 10MPH in case the fukwit paying ZERO ATTENTION to their surroundings decides to just STEP OUT WITHOUT WARNING!" -- Yes, you are supposed to anticipate hazards whilst driving, it's part of the theory test.

"Are you a woman driver perhaps?" -- Sexist arsehole! Are you a white van man?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...even if it seems harsh to blame those being hit by cars for lacking the sense to stay out of their way"

No it doesn't! Who said that it does? They need sectioned.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FTFY

* They need TO BE sectioned.

Did they not teach you at school how to form sentences?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: FTFY

I expect that his teachers had a hard enough time stopping him from eating crayons and glue going by most of his posts. Wonder who taught him how to use a computer...

18. Is it me?

Difference in the Law

Jay walking is an offence in the US because pedestrians do not have right of way on the public highway, except at designated crossings.

In the UK pedestrians always have right of way, and can cross the road where they like, it is up to drivers to avoid them, no matter how stupid they are. The only exceptions are Motorways and Clearways where it is an offence to walk on the highway.

Good drivers always keep their eyes on pedestrians, and should assume they may suddenly decide to cross the road. A good plan with children and running pedestrians.

You may think running someone down is no problem, but it isn't, unless you are a sociopath, you will suffer emotional trauma. Even if you are a sociopath, you will still have all the hassle and cost of repairing your vehicle from the substantial damage caused from hitting a large solid object, unless you drive an HGV.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Difference in the Law

It sounds like the U.K. is using a Darwinian approach to eliminate a problem?

1. Alan Dougherty
        Facepalm

Re: Difference in the Law

Funny thing is...

My friend got hauled into court, in Belfast, for jaywalking.. it was on the papers filed..

Granted she was hammered, and, granted, she just stepped into 4 lanes of 30mph traffic at kicking out time, and, granted, she done it two feet away from DMSU in their bloody obvious armoured landrover. She did also get a 'beep' and emergency stop from the taxi that was about to send her to the pearly gates.

But, she *did* get infront of the beak for it, so there must be a rule there somewhere.. just not widely used if everyone shows a bit of common sense..

In NYC, I got warned by a cop for turning 90Deg and taking a photo down times square, on a crossing (with only two people on it), while the walk sign was on (was still on when I finished my crossing to meet said cop)..

Cop in NYC was an idiot.. cops in Belfast where damn right... it just depends on the circumstances.. not everyone is a retard.. but I do like our UK system of evolution.. as long as the drivers (esp commercial) get compensation for time off road, if they happen to encounter Darwin ignorant pedestrians / cyclists.

2. SYNTAX__ERROR
      Go

Re: Clearways

A clearway simply designates that no stopping is allowed on a section of highway.

It is NOT an offence to cross or walk on one.

19. AceRimmer1980
    FAIL

Remind me again

How they're meant to use all these wonderful augmented reality/navigation/where's my nearest art gallery type apps, *for pedestrians*, without getting busted.

"This is a retrograde step", say El Goog, "How are we supposed to show our ads..I mean, make use of technology to improve our lives.."

1. Qwelak

Re: Remind me again

Perhaps it would be sensible to STOP walking for the few seconds it takes to look at the wizzy, wonderful app or maybe slow down a bit or just maybe not try crossing the feckin road with their nose is buried in their mini-fondleslabs

Just a thought, (which is what these idiots need)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As an addenum...

They also need to get out of the way of other pedestrians if on the sidewalk or out of the middle of the aisle in the stores. They're almost as bad as the people who push a cart down the middle of the shopping aisle and have no concept of picking a side so everyone else can get through.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What you need there is a portable air horn.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Risky behavior

If they get hit by a car maybe they'll get a clue.

21. toadwarrior

Around here at least most cyclists are pretty sensible. The only thing I don't like are ther assholes who think red lights don't apply to them especially cross walks. The number of times I've almost been hit or saw someone else at a crosswalk is far too high. Bikes come equiped with break so use them.

Motorcycles, imo, definitely seem to have a higher percentage of assholes who feel the road is theirs to racer around on.

With cars you obviously get a lot of dicks too but women, particularly mothers, just don't pay attention. Anytime I've been cycling if I've had a near accident without a doubt it was a mother. One even had the nerve to honk and have a go at me even though I entered the intersection way before she came up it. In fact I was exiting as she came racing up there only to notice me at the last moment.

Baby on board stickers only value is to warn you there's a fucking idiot behind the wheel so stay far away.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely walking and texting isn't that hard?

I've dont it for years and so far I've managed to avoid ever hitting anyone, falling into a fountain, and surprisingly I can walk in London, using my mobile to text and actually have the sense to look up and check for traffic as I approach a junction/crossing...

Really its a Darwinian thing, those who can't cope with technology in real life, will exit life...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It shouldn't be hard, but where I work there is a tendancy to slow down to such an extent that it they become an irritant - especially walking up and down stairs. I've clearly stated that when I'm CEO I'm banning the use of mobile phones whilst walking around the building.....

2. Intractable Potsherd

Walking and texting is hard.

In the same way that walking and reading anything is hard. It has never, ever occurred to me not to stop walking, move out of the way of other pedestrians where necessary, and then read/write the text. However, I may be odd, because I tend to do the same when talking on a mobile - stop, find an appropriate place to stand, and take/make the call.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting pontification...

It is interesting to see so many people's take on the legalities surrounding pedestrian use of roadways in the US.

The fact is; there is no unified law surrounding this in the US; each state (and even county and cities) get to set their own laws. In most states jay-walking is illegal, but, also in most states, the pedestrian always has the right of way. In most places, even if jay-walking is illegal, it is not enforced. Also, in most places if you are at a 4 way intersection with a light and pedestrian crossing lights, the street you are crossing is stopped, but the other street is green, however it is still incumbent on anyone turning off that street to give deference to any traffic (pedestrian or otherwise) that they will be crossing during the course of their turn.

24. William Boyle
    Thumb Up

Oblivious texters walk into traffic...

Sounds like a Darwin moment to me!

25. Hubert Thrunge Jr.
    Childcatcher

Good for business....

Think of all of the sick people that would benefit from the donor organs!

The Americans (and other capitals) need to install Trolley Buses* to keep up with the iPodestrian generation, and the demand for transplant organs.

The World population will benefit as halfwits will be removed from existence, leaving people with common sense left. Which means that we won't need as many health & safety rules, and once more our children will be allowed to climb trees, play conkers, and run around the house with scissors in relative safety.

*= Trolley Bus - electrically propelled bus, powered by overhead power cables, which runs on conventional wheels/roads, unlike a tram which requires a track. Because they are almost silent in operation, as known to the locals as "The Creeping Death".

26. mightyrajh

Darwin +1

Yes, let's get them out of the gene pool. Mobile phone drivers (texters should already be on the endangered list) are also fair game. They'll kill a few smart people before they go extinct but that is a price we'll have to bear.

Going every where with headphones on should have died out with the now extinct walkman.

27. jezbod

Re: Is it me?

"In the UK pedestrians always have right of way, and can cross the road where they like, it is up to drivers to avoid them, no matter how stupid they are. "

If that is the case, why did they teach the Green Cross Code? If they have right of way, just walk out and everyone will stop for you... as far as I know, other than legal crossing points*, pedestrians only have right of way when crossing a side street and you are turning into said side street

*On a side note pedestrians only have right of way at a Zebra crossing when they have a foot on the crossing, otherwise you do not have to stop!

1. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

They taught the Green Cross Code because of the dangerous drivers who weren't looking out for pedestrians.

If a pedestrian is already crossing the road at any point (except for the aforementioned Motorways etc) then they gain right of way over oncoming vehicles who must slow down and stop to let them continue to cross. The legality of stepping out in right in front of a moving vehicle presumably becomes a matter for the law court to determine on a case by case basis.

Whilst you may only have to stop when they have a foot on the crossing, you DO have to stop. So you are driving without due care and attention if you have not slowed down in anticipation of the foot being placed on the crossing.

What amazes me is the number of pedestrians, cyclists, bikers and drivers who think that skill is defined by how fast you can go in a straight line.

2. Vic

> If that is the case, why did they teach the Green Cross Code?

Because being right doesn't help much when you're dead.

> pedestrians only have right of way when crossing a side street and you are

> turning into said side street

Rule 206 of the Highway Code says differently. RTA probably has a section to make that enforceable, but I can't be arsed to check right now.

Vic.

3. David Black
      Meh

Having struck pedestrians in my 20 years on the road, I can assure you that every legal instrument under the sun is against the driver. In one case, the drunk girl actually jumped onto the bonnet of my car then fell on the ground (I had stopped by this time) and though she was totally uninjured, I got to pay for the ambulance that someone else called. Another time, a young girl ran across the road (with headphones and not looking) and actually struck the side of my car and broke her legs under my back wheel. There was no way it was my fault or anything and yet I got to pick up her £12,000 bill and had my car insurance hiked by 50% for 5 years! Because motorists are insured, you'll alwys be found partially liable :(

I only wish there was a compulsory insurance for cyclists and pedestrians, might level things a little.

28. MJI Silver badge

Where is a lamp post when you need it?

A few weeks ago on a Sunday, saw a woman reading a book, holding an umbrella, (raining), walking along a pavement.

Why were the nearest lamp posts so far away?

It would have been funny!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SHOCK HORROR

She may actually have had a brain.

2. Alister

Re: Where is a lamp post when you need it?

>>A few weeks ago on a Sunday, saw a woman reading a book, holding an umbrella, walking along a pavement.

See, proof that women CAN multi-task...

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there bonus points?

Do you get bonus points if you whack more than one texter at a time?

30. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

Last night...

... walking back from the pub with a friend, coming the other way on the pavement was a young woman who was clearly *totally* oblivious to our presence because she was so engrossed with her mobile phone's display.

It wasn't until she was about six feet from us that I gave a little whilstle and she suddenly looks up and stops dead, realising that she has almost walked into us.

At least she had the good grace to apologise through her blushes...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Last night...

They need an app... that tells them to pull their head outta their arse when walking, talking or texting.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like