back to article How to simulate a light armoured vehicle

The Australian Light Armoured Vehicle (ASLAV) is an eight-wheeled, 13,450-kilogram monster, which bristles with a grenade launcher, a pair of machine guns and a 25 millimetre M242 “Bushmaster” chain gun. The ASLAV can carry six troops in addition to its three crew. Two of the latter ride inside the vehicle's turret, where the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Linux

Aussie sims.

I remember reading in New Scientist of a military aerial combat simulator for the military... trainees were rather taken aback when kangaroos stopped hopping and started firing surface-to-air missiles at them.

It turned out that the developers had felt an urge to decorate the landscape with some native fauna to aid realism, and done so by reusing some existing assets, ie code for enemy infantry. Unfortunately, whilst they had changed the graphics files of the troops to resemble hopping marsupials, they hadn't updated all behaviours.

( Penguin - another animal exclusive to the Southern hemisphere)

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Aussie sims.

It's a great story, and has some basis in fact, but the reality of it is apparently a little more mundane. The devs did it as a joke; it was something visible right away (not an embarrassing hiccough during demonstration or after deployment); and it was at an early stage of development (when the projectiles were still, IIRC, beachballs rather than missiles).

2. Danny 14

cramped

I had a few joyrides in a LAV25 in the early 90's. Pretty cramped but hell better than the shitty spartans I trained with.

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Tank simulator

Bleary memories of a tank simulator arise where a small model tank featuring a camera was moved by a robotic arm trough a model terrain of several square meters. Very expensive stuff although the model trees, houses, etc. probably came out of a toy store.

4. Crisp
    Coat

Where do I sign up for knobology training?

And what kind of letters would I get after my name?

1. CNS

Re: Where do I sign up for knobology training?

"And what kind of letters would I get after my name?'

KNOB

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

And after a PhD you become Dr. Knob?

1. Crisp

Better than a Certificate from the University of New Technology then :)

5. paulc
    Mushroom

some actual photos of the simulators themselves would help!!!!

I'm in the simulation business myself and it always helps to see what the competition is doing...

Not happy with the lack of meat in the article...

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Stop

Re: some actual photos of the simulators themselves would help!!!!

The reason for the "lack of meat" may be in this sentence:

"But not too revealing – in order to write this story we had to agree to vetting by the Australian Department of Defence."

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Meh

Savings?

I always wonder about some of these sims, considering how complex they are, whether they actually do save money over just taking a LAV ("eight-wheeled-thunderbox"!) out on the range for some training. I can understand it when it comes to jets, they cost a fortune, and if your trainee gets his low-level training wrong then the jet becomes a very expensive pile of wreckage, but it's not like an ASLAV is going to crash and burn!

1. Chris 244
      Unhappy

Re: Savings?

A friend of mine from school was killed when the LAV he was in rolled. During a training exercise.

RIP Cpl Bryan Kormendy

2. Orv Silver badge

Maintenance, maybe.

I suspect these are high-maintenance vehicles. When I visited a Marine base I got the impression that maintaining the vehicles used for training there was a full-time job for a significant number of people; military gear like this is often built with the assumption that it won't travel a huge number of miles in its lifetime before being either destroyed by enemy action or written off in a mishap on rugged terrain, so being used day in and day out for training tends to consume spares rapidly.

7. Irongut

Potentially intereesting article but lacking in content and spoiled by having the last 3 paragraphs slplit onto another page. Was it really that necessary to get in another advert impression?

8. ElNumbre
    Mushroom

Interlinked....

So, are these sims designed to be compatible with all of the other simulation gear out there? I read somewhere that some helicopter and fixed-wing simulators can talk to each other and participate in the same virtual war, but about about ground and sea assets too.

Then, they could add in government simulators, where you have to conduct military deals with virtual suppliers and negotiate overpriced equipment and constant u-turns.

Or failing that, a nice game of chess.

1. David_E

Re: Interlinked....

See: http://www.sisostds.org/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simon it seems you are lossy

As is evident from all of your articles, it appears that your brain takes the sentences you want to communicate and then randomly drops words from them. It's like reading your articles over an unreliable network connection.

10. bep

proof reading?

There definitely seems to be a few 'a's (how do you write that?) missing from the article, not to mention a couple of missing definite articles. Is this English now?

11. Arctic fox
    Joke

As far as "ologies" go I think that I'll pass on this one.

You can imagine the conversation between proud mum and her mate. "'As your boy passed all his courses?" "Yeah, he's a complete knob now."

1. Crisp

Re: As far as "ologies" go I think that I'll pass on this one.

You get an ology, you're a scientist!

12. Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor (Written by Reg staff)
    Go

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm working hard on my proofing - we work without a net here in the APAC eerie. For those of you who wanted more detail , I'm sorry if the story is a little light-on. The story had to be vetted and the deep technical details weren't available for predictable reasons, but I felt the story worth a go anyway.

13. John 62
    Facepalm

APAC

I think I just figured out that it stands for Asia-Pacific

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like