back to article Samsung buys US Spotify clone, hopes to bruise Apple's eco-system

You don‘t have to be a genius to know that mSpot, which has just been bought by Samsung Electronics in the US, is going to go through both a transformation and a huge international upsurge in usage, if it has, or can get, international music rights. Samsung has been talking about a rival to iTunes for some years, ever since …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why?

Samsung should just buy PirateBay. They have very similar corporate values.

1. David Dawson
      Facepalm

Re: Why?

A preference for rounded corners?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Pirate

Cannonballs have rounded corners

Prepare for boarding!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Until it fails, which it will.

It won't be simple,.it won't be quick because Jack's already jumped over to the apple tree stick.

2. Jeebus

Nothing screams success like not only being years late to the party, but banking on a service which has been largely sewn up by competing services already.

Well played Samsung.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They thought about that, but their plan is cunningly simple. Just clone iTunes and make it cheaper, job done.

If they also tie their phones into the service then they're quids in.

3. Dare to Think
    Go

Long live the free market

First Samsung made sure they got the hardware leadership, with this came a significant market share, and now they add service provisioning to their portfolio - ahem - ecosystem.

Will be interesting to see what fanbois and tech press make out of this, if there will be a witch hunt like with Nokia.

1. NotTellinYou
      Trollface

Re: Long live the free market

LOL...seriously "hardware leadership"? That would mean "innovation" something we haven't seen unless you call the cheap plastics on the III "hardware leadership"! Hehehe

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Made from plastic, it's fantastic?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Will be interesting to see what fanbois..." Where's the black pot icon?

4. Toothpick
    Facepalm

mSpot ?

Sounds like a zit cream.

5. NotTellinYou
    WTF?

Oh goodie!

Yet another iTunes Killer! Sweet! It's been a few years since we last had one of those!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

ho ho ho, but I hope this works

iTunes has become a bloated, unintuitive mess as the complexity of iPods, Phones and Pads has grown-going from being a nice simple music/iPod manager into a mess. I can't believe it used to be seen as the Windows shopfront for easy-to-use Apple design when I look at it now. Some well-funded, well designed competition could leave Apple doing the copying for once.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

patents

this last line says it all:

"It offers 5GB of data for free and 40GB for $3.99 a month and was in existence a long time before the Apple iCloud offering. Mspot goes all the way back to 2004, and as well as white-label services, it also has its own brand service available in Android Market."

i suspect samsung are looking to sue apple for infringing with icloud

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: patents

i suspect samsung are looking to sue apple for infringing with icloud

Don't foget they will also be going after Amazon,Microsoft, Rackspace, RedHad(and all OpenStack sellers), Bropbox and all the rest.

I recon that if they do that a good number of companies will suddenly find other companies to do business with.

Somehow, I get these flashbacks to 2003 and a certain company called SCO and their Beelllions they were hoping to get from all Linux users.

2. Chet Mannly

Re: patents

"i suspect samsung are looking to sue apple for infringing with icloud"

Don't be stupid - Apple's lawyers will find a way to sue Samsung for having the temerity to run a media business. It's Apple's MO to sue anyone and everyone, always has been.

If they have the b*lls to claim "rounded corners" are a design feature belonging solely to Apple, those guys will come up with some BS to take to a court, and Samsung will lap up the free publicity.

1. JaitcH
        WTF?

Patents - Apple needs the attribures of a centipede

There are well over 800 patent claims against Apple at this time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like