back to article DuBreq Stylophone pocket organ makes a comeback

We thought the Stylophone pocket electronic organ was dead and buried, but no, the pianist’s portable training board has been revived for the hi-tech age. Stylophone Stylophone: wah, wah-wah, wah, waaaaaah (repeat ad nauseam) For anyone too young, or old, to remember, the Stylophone first screeched its way onto the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yipee!

another thing to go along with radio controlled helicopters that I always wanted as a boy but never got and which I can buy now and inflict on my children!

2. Paul

About time

It's good to see this make a comeback! Probably the worst sounding instrument (can you call it that?) of all time, but still iconic.

In the early 90's I remember buying a white label rave 12" that had Rolf Harris & Stylophone samples all over it.. >sheds a tear< I'm going to Firebox right now to buy one!

Oh yeah, it's "Can you *tell* what it is yet" BTW.

3. Haku

mp3 input?

Don't they mean line-in? I hate that kind of bullshit marketing, jumping on whatever's the current bandwagon craze just to shift a few more units on the lure that it does more than it says on the box.

I have two of the original Dubreq Stylophones, each has a different pitch, though sadly I can't play a tune on them to save my life.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not new

Menkind (http://www.menkind.co.uk) has had this in for months - probably longer - I've seen pallets of these things going to stores!

5. W
    Joke

Support?

But is it compatible with Linux?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

'bout time

"ken yer tell what I'm playin' yet?" ;)> (to be said in an Oz accent)

Even less seriously though, when is someone going to bring back the good old Casio VLtone? Now there was a seriously cool muso device!

Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be....

7. GrahamT
    Boffin

Instrument of the stars

Not only Rolf - Bowie features the Stylophone on Space Oddity.

8. Ishkandar

That pesky Antepodean has a lot to answer for;...

...like "Tie me kangaroo down, sport", that wibble(or wobble) board and his blasted digeridoo !!

9. Les Matthew

RE: mp3 input?

The "vibro knob" sounds like a buzzword to me.

10. BoldMan

Space Oddity

Surely you mean a Mellotron?

11. GrahamT
    Boffin

Re:Space Oddity

No, really, a Stylophone. Dubreq used the fact in their advertising.

12. Stephen Cairns

Not new

These were on sale in the Debenhams Christmas tat department last year.

I noticed at the time that the box doesn't bear the image of Rolf, who surely can't be credited with the invention of the didgeridoo.

13. Brennan Young

Re:Space Oddity

There is certainly a stylophone on Space Oddity (quite clearly heard providing the long bass notes under the first sung phrases "Ground control..."), but it is quickly rather upstaged by Rick Wakeman's mellotron playing.

For a clearer blast of stylophone in Bowie's work, listen to "After All" on "The Man Who Sold The World". The stylus sweeps up the metal strip just as he starts to sing the chorus.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What does it have in common with Paris Hilton:

They are two of the most annoying sounds of all time :) (and to cap it all it is better looking as well)

X.

15. Michael Benneyworth
    Boffin

Stylophone and VLTone

Stylophone - Always wanted one of these but never found one on the west side of the Atlantic, or in NZ when I lived there as a kid.

VLTone - will be playing one in performance tonight. Original owner and I still have the vinyl carry case somewhere as well. Just did the math and realised it is now 27 years old....

This topic is closed for new posts.