back to article Rovio flies away from Angry Birds for all-new puzzler

With Rovio's Angry Birds hitting the billion-download mark recently, the Finnish developer has turned its attention to its next mobile game, revealed this week as Amazing Alex. No birds. No pigs. No plush toy merchandise or movie tie-ins… just yet, anway. Amazing Alex is an upgraded version of a 2011 iPad game Casey's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Underpants

"this is the first game Rovio has taken under its wing that doesn't feature catapulted birds."

In fairness, they'd tried fifty one games before Angry Birds and they failed, commercially speaking, so wringing every possible penny out of Angry Birds does make sense of a sort. (Citation: http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2011/04/features/how-rovio-made-angry-birds-a-winner)

1. Mikel
      Windows

Angry Birds was Rovio's first own app

Prior to that they quite succesfully made apps for other people with greater and lesser success, but they got paid. The paltry pay of making inferior apps to spec for others is probably what motivated them to make their own game. It's really frustrating knowing what wins and being prevented from delivering it by a phenomenally stupid client. To suffer such over and again must have driven Rovio's coders near insane. I'm glad they found a way out.

1. Gary Riches

Re: Angry Birds was Rovio's first own app

I quite happily make a living making apps for other people. A good going rate is about £110k a year on contract in London. It's hardly paltry. Compared to my personal apps, the best of which has only pulled in £3k over 7 months, and my figures are the reverse of yours.

2. Gary Riches

Re: Angry Birds was Rovio's first own app

Just noticed you wrote "inferior" which makes my other post a bit redundant, sorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They haven't copied

The Incredible Machine

1. RayG

Re: They haven't copied

Not in the slightest.

owait...

also, thank you for triggering a major nostalgia attack. I even have the disks. Now, where can I get a floppy drive?

1. regadpellagru
        Thumb Up

Yes, exactly that !

And if my memory is still ok, this used to run on MS-DOS. Where is my DOSBox ?

2. stucs201

@RayG

I've still got a floppy drive :) And a copy of T.I.M. on CD.

No, you're not getting either of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

with a hint of where's my water, cut the rope and a few others mixed in

3. Pete Spicer

Failing that you can get the entire series from GoG.com for a few quid, probably more than you'd pay for this though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which, sadly, doesn't include the original version. I have a win98 pc specifically for that version as getting the sound to work properly was a grade1 nightmare.....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

After seeing some 'Heath Robbinson' devices I used to spend hours with my Lego and Meccano sets building contraptions like this. Now my grandkids can do it on a screen. not the same though.

Yeah, sad I know.

Then I graduated to building crazy stuff out of scrap cycles.

Now I spend my spare time rebuilding old British Motorcycles, Sunbeams a speciality.

5. The BigYin

Yes, yes I think they have. Get Andrew Orlowski on the case, he's big on copyright and will surely see that just action is taken.

3. jai

Heath Robinson

The world needs more Heath Robinson contraptions. There ought to be government grants for any new construction or product brought to market that can involves a demonstrable Heath-Robinson-ness.

In fact, most of the code I write could probably be classified as Heath-Robison-esque.... :)

1. CarlC
      Thumb Up

Re: Heath Robinson

Here Hear

1. Captain DaFt

@CarlC, are you agreeing with him, or are you the poor sod that got stuck maintaining his code?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"The world needs more Heath Robinson contraptions. There ought to be government grants for any new construction or product brought to market that can involves a demonstrable Heath-Robinson-ness."

Don't we give BAe Systems enough money as it is?

4. JeevesMkII
    Unhappy

Oh dear

There's nothing sadder than watching a one hit wonder try to trot out their new, more serious stuff while the crowd of drunken thirty-somethings shout "Do that one with the birds and the pigs! That was awesome!" and eventually start hurling beer bottles.

1. Rob K
      Go

Re: Oh dear

Streets of London!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Oh dear

Well, that could be a plan B.

"When new game fails stack every game item on top of each other, mix items with pigs, and add catapult with new type of birds".

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

fail

Ah well, at least they will go down in history as making probably the most addictive mobile game (to date)

This one has epic fail written all over it, if only because they are going to throw massive marketing at the promise of a silk purse, but punters will end up with a sows ear.

6. TheOtherHobbes

Will they

be tweeting about it?

7. paulc

Shades of "The Great Space Race"...

which after all the hype and mysterious adverts turned out to be rubbish...

8. Alan Dougherty
    Pint

TIM

Always reminds me of 'The Great Egg Race', and Jean Michael Jarre for some reason....

9. Dave 126 Silver badge

The American's call Heath Robinson machines "rube goldberg", for those here who want to waste some time on youtube!

I used to love playing T.I.M when visiting my cousins in the US... but later that week Doom was released : D

1. Charles 9

The Incredible Machine series was one of my favorites from Sierra. It's rather a shame the series faded into obscurity after Contraptions (with Sierra itself fading later on). That said, there was a spinoff (Sid and Al's Incredible Toons) that took the concept to its cartoonish extreme and was still very fun and amusing. For its day, the games were also decently sophisticated (high-resolution VGA graphics) yet compact (IIRC both TIM and Incredible Toons fit on a single HD floppy). Thing was I ran out of puzzles to play, and this was before the Internet took off.

10. Unicornpiss
    FAIL

I can't imagine this one will succeed

It lacks the elements that made Angry Birds a hit:

-simple gameplay

-cute characters with cute sound effects

-good vs. evil

-gratuitous destruction

True, they were running out of themes for Angry Birds, but just stupid to abandon something in its prime. I hope they continue to make levels for the existing games.

1. mhoulden

Re: I can't imagine this one will succeed

Actually that sounds a bit like DMA Design just as the Lemmings franchise was coming to an end. They put out Grand Theft Auto while they were working on other things and things went on from there. Now if Rockstar North (as they are now) could do an in-game version of Lemmings in GTA V when that comes out...

1. Charles 9

They can't.

Even as DMA was bought by Rockstar, Psygnosis (who published the DMA-developed Lemmings) was bought by Sony. Technically, rights go with the Publisher, not with the Developer, so Sony got the rights to Lemmings, which is why you normally only see Lemmings games on PlayStation platforms. These days, Lemmings games are made for Sony by Team 17 (developers of the probably-Lemmings-inspired Worms series).

2. Charles 9

Re: I can't imagine this one will succeed

Actually, The Incredible Machine wasn't all that complicated. You get an assortment of parts to put on the field, each of which performs a specific function (for example, the mouse motor which creates rotating motion each time you bumped it), and the object is to arrange them in such a way as to achieve the goal.

And the graphics were actually pretty nice for its day. TIM2 even added a little more humor to its descriptions.

Then there was the spinoff (Sid & Al's Incredible Toons). That ticked all the remaining checkmarks. It was funny as all getup and harkened back to the classic cat-and-mouse cartoons (complete with over-the-top gags and effects).

11. Wize

They could release anything right now and would get a large number of downloads.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good a product is, as long as you get the right promotion, you are sorted.

Hmm, maybe I should put a sig on here promoting my own...

12. D@v3

T.I.M

for those feeling nostalgic, T.I.M is available on iOS. (possibly android too?) not quite as good as the original, but not bad for a stumble down memory lane.

This topic is closed for new posts.