back to article Government pledges tougher games sales law

The government is to toughen videogame sales regulations and introduce a legally enforceable 12 rating. The Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations (VRLRs) 2012 will put videogame classification solely in the hands of the Video Standards Council, an organisation formed to review video packaging. Under the new regulations, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christine Hedley Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"The move will please Labour MP Keith Vaz"

That alone suggests it's probably undesirable, much like the charming Mr Vaz himself.

1. LarsG

and still

The parents will buy them and the children will play them.

Is Uncle Vaz going to send an inspector to every home or will we have to sign a form and wear a.pledge ring to promise not toet children have access to the home pc and game console's.

This.is pure SOUND BITE LEGISLATION.

It has no relevance in the real world.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The move will please Labour MP Keith Vaz"

What makes me think this is no more than throwing Vaz a bone so he shuts the fuck up?

2. Dazed and Confused
    Facepalm

Loosing the BBFC report is a pity

As a parent I've found the full BBFC reports available from their website to be very useful in deciding whether to let my kids buy certain games. I don't know whether the VSC publish such details. I find the simple 12, 16 or 18 rating too simplistic. The last game I eldest bought was rated 16 and he isn't. But the primary reason for the rating was bad language. Well I'm sure he'll use worse language in the play ground, but he knows that if he uses in front of his mother he'll get busted. The full report gave me the information to make the decision to let him buy the game, where as a simplistic rating and tick box approach wouldn't.

So, as a parent, I won't welcome this move it is results in there being less information about content available to let me make informed decisions.

1. Semaj
      Joke

Re: Loosing the BBFC report is a pity

You are doing it wrong.

You seem to think that it's your job as a parent to look at what your children are doing rather than using the convenient "Yes or No" rating system.

I bet you are one of these terrible people who want to supervise their Internet activity as well rather than trusting the good old government to do it for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure if they give a full report, but there are the content indicators on the box as well as the age rating.

3. JS001

" I find the simple 12, 16 or 18 rating too simplistic."

Visit the PEGI website, then. There is less detail than on the BBFC website but more than a simple 12, 16, or 18 rating.

3. Bastard Operator From Hull
    FAIL

An enforceable system is great if the retailers AND parents follow and understand it, and as Dazed & Confused points out PEGI is lacking on explaining why a title gets its rating. This episode just screams of playing lip service to the Helen Lovejoy's of the world.

4. Jnex26
    FAIL

How they going to prove it.

Just exactly how is a 12 year old going to prove he/she is 12...

1. Steve Renouf
      WTF?

Re: How they going to prove it.

Easy! The law will require that they have it tatooed on their foreheads! When will these stupid law makers ever get a clue?!? If they're going to make new laws, PLEASE, PLEASE make them workable in the real world ones!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Harken back to the days of ye olde and original Poll Tax when young'uns were judged to be of responsible age by checking for pubic hair!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Tis a perverted outlook you have, what if you wax?

5. wowfood

Gamers of the world UNITE!

Okay just kidding, but still this just seems like a waste. Half these ratings seem dated anyway.

I mean lets face it, compare todays culture to the ratings and it doesn't make sense. The level of violence and blood and language needed to give a videogame an 18 rating these days would barely make a film a 15 half the time.

Back when I was a kid I'd get in trouble for saying things like bastard. Now you go outside and there are 12 year olds f'ing and blinding on the street corner at each other. It just seems like the ratings as a whole need some kind of re-evaluation.

But removing this additional information is just a bad move. I think part of it is to speed up the process of getting games into the market, since geting a PEGI rating AND the BBFC can slow down games getting released in the UK (although not that often)

I'm also of the opinion that refusing to rate games is rediculous. If its really that bad, have a 21 rating for it, but banning a game outright just seems absurd. Especially with some of the films which get released.

6. auburnman
    WTF?

It didn't occur to me

That the various ratings boards can still effectivley censor a game by refusing to classify; I thought the worst they could do was slap an 18+ rating on it. how do the commentards feel about that? I'm undecided; on the one hand it smacks of de facto censorship, but on the other hand the only game I can recall being refused classification in recent times was Manhunt 2 (which apparently was really dreadful.)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about US (and other non-EU) imports ?

My brother, in the US, bought my son a game (The Elder Scrolls) which had no PEGI rating. It was a nuisance, as I had set his Xbox up to not allow unrated games.

1. JS001

Re: What about US (and other non-EU) imports ?

I'm surprised you would be able to play it anyway, as Xbox titles are usually region-locked.

8. LinkOfHyrule
    Coat

I remember playing 18 rated games before I was legal age - that big red 18 symbol was a "OMG its cool cos its got swears in it!" marker. How the fuck are kids of today going to know which games are the cool ones now!? PEGI logos look so uncool in comparison!

Thank you Mr Vag!

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Thumb Up

You owe me a new keyboard for nothing more than mispelling dear old dopey Keith's last name!

1. LinkOfHyrule

I need a new one too, this one has the Z and the G the wronz way round!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like