back to article Apple OS X update puts elderly Flash out of its misery

Apple has pushed out a slew of security updates for Macs running Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) and Lion (OS X 10.7). The operating system upgrades tackle various bugs that leak sensitive information, elevate a user's privileges and, most seriously, allow malicious code to be injected remotely and executed. The 10.7.4 update …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Come on Apple

And stop fucking hiding my folders if I have chosen to display them!

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Come on Apple

Weird???

I've never had an OSX update [including this one] re-hide my unhidden hidden folders [!]

<code>defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES</code>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not a good tip

Shouldn't let finder to show all files. Just change folder flag to non hidden.

If a newbie sees /usr and starts browsing, things can really go weird. Finder even creates .DS_store files sometimes, even in directories current user has no write permission.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Charlie Clark: "And stop fucking hiding my folders if I have chosen to display them!"

I'm inclined to side with Apple on this one - I've helped a few friends who are, for lack of a better word, a bit naive with computer use and dragged the whole Library folder into the Trash while trying to 'clean up'. Then I get a desperate call for help because their email has all disappeared.

All you need to do is show the Library once and drag it into the sidebar - it stays permanently even when the OS is updated.

1. jubtastic1
        Thumb Up

Agree with this, Library folder accidentally filed by user has happened a few times and it's a PITA to sort because it's recreated almost immediately by anything saving user prefs or hitting the cache.

[CMD+SHIFT+G] ~/Library [return]

Not hard to find.

1. JaimieV

Or in Finder, hold alt while the Go menu is open.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gave up

Believe or not, their treatment to still working powerPC cpus didn't bug me that much as I knew how they work. Once I had the closed beta (legally) of 10.6 (I guess) and noticed they hide ~/library , I really gave up.

Hiding that folder said a lot about future direction of Apple computers.

I also gave up posting with nickname on Apple stories, their psychopath fans hunts my unrelated posts and down votes them too.

4. ThomH

On the plus side, they've stopped reticking that 'Reopen windows when logging back in' button.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess, it is to stop stupid users from themselves..

well, as annoying as it is, in finder, it;s easy to bring it back, just hold ALT when you click on Go to menu

3. Hollow
    Joke

Problem: Apple forces you to do stuff you don't want to do constantly

Solution: Stop using Crapple devices!

4. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

For users of the 'open' command...

To turn off that f**king "This file is not from a trusted source" dialog forever:

defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

Now you'll be able to open multiple files using the command-line open command without the LaunchServices dialog stopping the operation after the first one. And if you don't already use the open command, look it up. Very handy for working between the shell and OS X apps [open -a <App> file file file... ], but also for opening directories as finder windows [ I particularly like "open ." ] or just emailing files [ open -a Mail <file> ] .

Also, for a file-by-file, manual, removal of the quarantine flag, use this:

xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine <filename>

And I have agree 100% with the AC above - Apple's hard-core fans have to be the worst in the world, to the point of being a religious cult. I think this has the result of making otherwise rational people hate the company irrationally, for fear of being associated with that cult.

5. pcsupport

Hooray, no more unticking the "Reopen windows after logging back in"!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like