back to article Tesla shifts gear out of park and into interim

Tesla has confirmed that the first models of its electric sports car will ship with an interim transmission which reduces expected acceleration. Production will start in a limited way in March. Early buyers will get a free upgrade to the transmission and engine when they are available later in the year. The first production …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Bureaucracy at work.

"The car has now got regulatory approval for car safety and *emissions*."!!

My emphasis on "emissions".

The concept of Mr. Jobsworth painstakingly sorting out the issue of where you stick the exhaust gas probe on an electric car 'cos Mr Euro-Jobsworth says it's mandatory really tickles me.

Best laugh I've had in ages.

2. Steve Evans

Hmmm..

"The changes mean the existing motor will need extra cooling to deal with the extra power."

So it's pulling more juice...

Any news on the reduced battery range this must cause?

3. Steve

Remember the Rx80...

Give it 5 years and the magazines will be full of articles on how to showhorn in a Ford V4 instead, once the batteries won't hold a charge.

4. Matthew

Approval on emissions?!

Unless they're testing the power stations, that shouldn't have been much of a challenge.

5. Frank Bough
    Thumb Down

Steve

The car that you're alluding to was the NSU Ro80, and Wankel engines have since been used with considerable success by Mazda - the current RX-8 and legendary RX-7 chief among them. Don't forget Mazda win at Le Mans with their Wankel 787B and their lovely, triple-rotor Cosmo E-CCS.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Ohhhhh

I wonder if Sony is building the Batteries...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Elon Musk

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaaahaaaa!!!

really??

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Charlatans

They should never have been allowed to call themselves after Tesla.

He would have done it all far better.

9. Rick Brasche

@ MichaelG

naw, more likely he'd get stomped by a company selling a crappier less sophisticated version called the "Edison". And then they'd start going off on weird tangents and build a car that supposedly had antigravity, worked by firing lightning bolts at it from roadside towers, and other deranged pipe dreams, which would only serve to give the "Edison" car company real ammunition to use against him.

The real problem with real genius. Most of it is insanity, the trick is recognizing the good stuff, and not letting the bad stuff overshadow the good things.

10. Daniel
    Go

Supply and demand

I'm just waiting for them to start selling these things outside the US. Then my name will be straight on to the waiting list.

11. Solomon Grundy

@ Elon Musk

Yep, that's his name. You have to have a stupid name to co-found something stupid like PayPal.

12. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Alert

Oh yeah?

Any film of this thing hovering underneath a convenient crane yet?

This topic is closed for new posts.