back to article Nimbus boots EVA out of Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Power Systems' Americas (MPSA) says its SAP applications positively fly using flash arrays from an industry newbie – after being hamstrung on HP storage. The company, based in Orlando, Florida, had a SAP SQL Server database implementation that was dragging its feet, so much so that the end users were resisting the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bla 1
    WTF?

What was the point of this article??

A customer replaced something 5 years old based on hdd with something new and flash-based and the customer saw that it ran faster than the old kit.

Whats the news here?

1. seven of five
      WTF?

Re: What was the point of this article??

especially as the 4400 is more of an entry-level system and probably was not the best choice for a core SAP in first place anyway.

2. Tony Rogerson

Re: What was the point of this article??

Basically they replaced many many many disks required for IOps with significantly fewer!

I'm a SQL Server guy, it has a significantly different access profile that a file server.

Databases do not work well on file server ideology!

T

2. Michael Duke

Shocked and stunned I am that a modern all flash array beat the pants off of HP's Lowest spec rotating Fibre Channel array that is 7-8 years old in technology (Basically a repackaged EVA4100).

What's next a VMAX 40K beating a 4 node P4000 G2 array?

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

EVA 4400?

I like the old EVA, especially the larger 8400 and the newer 6500, but I'm surprised anyone would use the bottom-end 4400 in a SAP environment! Did some Value Add Reshafter sell them a duff design?

4. James Pond
    Windows

IT Department?

I think their IT department shafted them - you may notice they're still using EVA and MSA for other services - presumably file.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You get what you deserve when you go the budget route for SAP storage

n/t

6. oli_from_germany
    Gimp

Dilbert Style CIOing

I have a vision....

CIO: we just bought that 3 million SAP Licenses and Consulting so storage must be cheap - could't get a discount with SAP

Admin: but...

CIO: cheap! every disk is the same!

Admin: buys FATA Array, "cheap".

Years later, SAP performance hurts business much, new CIO in place. The former went on to new challenges - he is known for implementing SAP at low cost...

new CIO: my iPAD has flash memory - at least I read so - and it runs fast --- so why don't we buy flash for SAP?

Admin (still the same poor Guy): yes, but it is very expens...

CIO: buy it! I want iPad style performance in SAP!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Dilbert Style CIOing

It's so funny because it is so painfully true!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like