back to article Ape Apps help Orangutans talk to people

Orangutans at Miami Zoo are using iPads to communicate with humans. Associated Press reports that half a dozen of the endangered apes are using iPads, after being offered them as part of a mental stimulation exercise that uses Apps developed for autistic humans. The apps display pictures of various objects that trainers name, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Pint

"Ape Apps help Orangutans talk to people"

FEED ME!

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Joke

Orangutans are using the devices to indicate body parts that need medical attention.

So, if they're so smart, why don't they just point at the afflicted part?

1. Steve Brooks

Re: Orangutans are using the devices to indicate body parts that need medical attention.

"So, if they're so smart, why don't they just point at the afflicted part?" Lets go with the obvious shall we? Ape points at penis, human thinks "hmm is there something wrong with it," ape thinks, "suck my willy ape-boy!"

2. peyton?
      Devil

Re: if they're so smart

In a cage all day with nothing much to do... apes have been known to take up smoking and drinking... maybe he's pointing to a picture of his liver.

3. jake Silver badge

iFads useful to mouth-breathing apes?

Not surprising ... Take a stroll around Sonoma's Plaza on any given weekend afternoon. You'll observe any number of mouth-breathing apes utilizplaying with iFads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iFads useful to mouth-breathing apes?

Damn! —when I saw there were only three comments, I was going to post an "in before first painfully predictable comment comparing Apple users to apes" but I'll obviously have to be a lot quicker than that.

Keep writing those hits, kid!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: iFads useful to mouth-breathing apes?

Re-read what I wrote, madra.

"Not surprising ... Take a stroll around Sonoma's Plaza on any given weekend afternoon. You'll observe any number of mouth-breathing apes utilizplaying with iFads."

That is a statement of fact, based on personal observation, and a fact that you are free to check out on your own, all by yourself. Really. I doubt you need to be in Sonoma ... pretty much any Western World city-center will do.

Methinks your inferiority complex is showing ... Or do you not realize you, personally, are an Ape? In that case, it's just ignorance on your part ...

4. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Pint

Bindun without the tech.

It's possible to teach orangutans proper sign language, which they can then use to communicate with keepers and with each other. They have the smarts but not the vocal cords for talking.

Beer was the orangest colour icon available.

5. It wasnt me
    Happy

Wow !

5 comments already and no-one yet suggesting that they actually would crush them because they prefer android.

Damn, i've gone and said it.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

OOOK

says it all!

1. Openminded Cynic
      Thumb Up

Re: OOOK

Oook? EEEK!

7. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

So...

"when family members are relocated to other zoos."

I suppose they will keep in touch by using Faceook.

It's the one with another dimension in a pocket.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Re: So...

It is SOOOOO tempting to suggest any orangutans on facebook would be in the upper quartile of users intelligence-wise .

But we must resist such temptations, must we not

8. jai

this is pretty awesome

better watch out though - the next time your score in Angry Birds gets beaten, don't trash talk against whoever did it, you might anger a 200 lb monke ape

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
  9. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Evolution in action

From fan-boys to higher primates in less than a generation.

OK, OK, calm down...

10. Andrew Moore

But...

...they still haven't scored 3 stars on all levels of Angry Birds

11. Ageless Stranger

How many times have the apes selected this number?

12. Chicken Marengo
    Happy

Fantastic

Can they come and train my CEO how to use technology next?

13. Peddler

Amother inevitable response

Do they line up at the Apple store when a new model comes out?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF? an iPad to an ape? That budget is clearly too large and needs scaled back.

Christ! Even a sub $/£100 tablet would do.

But a £500 quid iPad, to an ape? REALLY??

STOP WASTING PUBLIC MONEY!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jumping to conculsions

First off, it's in America so that's $500 (which is about £310 right now.)

Second, the article doesn't actually state that the Zoo *purchased* the iPads, just that they are using them. They might be donated, purchased cheap/used, or on loan from somebody.

2. Fibbles

I don't know if zoos in America publicly funded but if they are think about what you're saying. It's fine to use public money to imprison obviously intelligent animals for your entertainment but it's not ok to spend a small fraction of that money to alleviate some of the boredom experienced by them?

I'm not against responsible zoos and safari parks but your argument is ridiculous.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Teaching Angry Birds is a bad idea

Orangs are smart - smart enough to build a catapult from the ropes and trees in their enclosure.

Do we really want to be planting that idea in their head?

(could be worse: chimps. Catapult. Poo. 'nuf said.)

"Right Turn, Clyde!"

16. Thorne

Actually the real reason why they're teaching them to use iPad is so when they release them back into the wild, they can stick a couple of fanbois in the cage and nobody will notice the difference. It's a cheaper alternative.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like