back to article Cisco hits the roof in Olympics marketing dash

Cisco has thrown open its Olympics hospitality suite, giving partners and customers both a panoramic view of the Olympic Park and an up-close, 3D view of Stephen Fry loitering on a London Underground platform. The 2012 Olympics logo The networking giant is the London 2012 Network Infrastructure Supporter, meaning it is the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Really!

Do Cisco believe this guff or did an Agency write Fry's script?

1. Dotter

Re: Really!

I'm struggling to figure out whether the Stephen Fry bit is real or not.

Then again, as it involves Fry it probably is real.

2. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Cisco - the power that brings you lolcats

It's the interwebz tubes, on a fake tubez trainz, with a 3D Fryz. kissing an iPhonez, on a roofz, in east Londonz! OMGZ!

It's just one giant Olympic sized meme fest!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

ANYBODY KNOW WHERE THE NEXT OLYMPICS IS

NEVER MIND IF ITS NOT IN AMERICA IM NOT WATCHING

1. Mike Flex

Re: ANYBODY KNOW WHERE THE NEXT OLYMPICS IS

No.

Roll on the Glorious 12th.

2. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Dumb Gay 555 - I've already told you in a previous post - the Capslock is on the left!!

Now we know what our 'over-the-pond' cousins are like.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!!!"

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

I know we shouldn't feed the trolls but I like this dude's style! He makes me laugh!

Leave the caps lock on dude! No need to be anti-capitalist!

4. Christoph

Map for the web

"What about a map for the web?"

Presumably he doesn't follow xkcd

5. Aldous

hope they have an atomic clock handy

after all the virtual fry packets might arrive out of order and break the internet!

6. elsonroa
    WTF?

Confused...

Is this a Steve Bong! article, or did I miss something? Does this virtual tube have a stop in Shoreditch? It's now getting hard to tell the difference between big corporation marketing bollocks, government-funded Silicon Roundabout hype and attempted satire. Please make it stop!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wondered what it was for

I remember seeing the building, or the Cisco sign at least, a few weeks ago as I was walking out of the park.

Gonna see if I can get some free hospitality.

8. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

The Londoners Olympics 2012

By Londoners. For Londoners. Londoners keep the buildings. Londoners get the tickets first.

The rest of the UK's role is, as usual, to watch it on TV whilst paying for the fucking thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Londoners Olympics 2012

Oh yeah?! My family and I, born and bred in the old smoke, applied and got bugger all. Meanwhile some work colleagues who I'll admit were quicker off the mark but live down on the south coast, manged to wangle some tickets to the slightly less well known events, so don't come it with the sob story!

1. Bob Vistakin
        FAIL

I forgot to add ... decided to be held in London by ... Londoners.

1. MrZoolook
          Trollface

Hello, Hello! What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here. This is a local Olympics for local people!

2. youknowyouloveit
        Thumb Down

Not to mention the fact we've paid extra council tax for years to fund it... only for the organising committee to renege on their promise for preferential treatment in the draws.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so, 30CNE and 300 Marketing T*ssers?

I still remember the incoherent marketing updates I received whilst at EDS when they were a sponsor....

10. Phlogistan

Aha!

So the intarwebs IS a series of tubes!

And all you "smart guys" got on to Ted Stevens and berated the kindly old gent for saying so.

Well now that no less estimable a figure as the enlightened STEPHEN FRY says it is so the "science is settled", is it not?

Anyone questioning his conclusions is simply not clever enough to appreciate his wonderousness and should go and sit at the childrens table.

11. Semaj
    Thumb Down

Ugh

Olympics, Fry, Cisco - Fuck off.

1. Fihart

Re: Ugh

@semaj

My own thoughts exactly. As a Londoner with no interest in sport, the Olympics is just another bit of globalised commercial intrusion of no benefit to me -- and with some obvious drawbacks. Vast cost at a time of austerity, overcrowding, traffic, tv hijacked.

1. MrZoolook
        Thumb Down

Re: Ugh

In fairness, being a londoner, you'll see some of the indirect benefits from the event. Your local economy is paying no more then the rest of the country, but will be one of the few areas to benefit from the income it generates. I have no interest in sport and will see zero gain from the event, while also paying for it.

Don't be looking for sympathy.

12. Schmeelster
    Flame

Usual B***S**t

The saddest thing about all of this, apart from the indiscriminate use of the CAPS button, is that the Cisco people really do believe this. am sure they will find a way to claim that their kit enabled Usain Bolt to break another world record. What is not so well known is that for a lot of the Olympic IT, most of the core is not Cisco so their claims to be powering the Olympics are somewhat inaccurate.............

1. Heineken Please
      Pint

Re: Usual B***S**t

Cisco marketing BS. All they are providing are the tacky VoIP phones and some desktop connectivity. The serious bandwidth (ie for the broadcasting element) is most definately not Cisco. Not even the management/control element goes through any Cisco kit.

13. MrZoolook
    Megaphone

<rant> I sincerely hope that...

... the Olympics are an epic fail. I hope we are never ever ever fucking never in the history of the whole universe ever again shortlisted for this kind of shit!

Every time we get to 'proudly host' these events, I end up paying for it. And I resent that wholeheartedly. Nobody asked me if I wanted to pay. I wouldn't mind, but its not like I care for.sport, even if I did I wouldn't be able to afford tickets, even if I could I couldn't afford transport there.

I also think the country would be better off investing the money its stealing off people... er... taxing off people to pay for this, into long term projects. Education in school, the NHS, Housing initiatives. But no... we need an Olympic park to be used for our sportsmen and women to try and one up everyone else. Cos that's really what matters when we have unemployment going up daily, and investment in public services drying up with lack of funding. Isn't it..?

What bollocks. Get this horse manure Olympics out the way and put it behind us. Then next time London gets to host it, they can pay for it. </rant>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: <rant> I sincerely hope that...

OK, so what's your idea, bright spark?

In context, I'd say that the net cost has been around £1B per year (remember this has been going since 2005) and that by the time that the economy started circling the drain a good portion of that cash had been spent or committed. And as others have pointed out, Londoners have paid an extra share without any preference in getting tickets.

At the end of the day, an industrial wasteland with great pylons running over it has been transformed into an Olympic Park that will gradually grow to house 40000 people, which is the same as Milton Keynes started out at.

So for the same sort of cash as HRMC wasted in negotiating away Vodafone's and GSK's taxes to Luxembourg, we have a sporting legacy, a new town and the chance to show the world we're not the parochial f***wits that they thing we are!

14. Bonce
    WTF?

Amount of data in the world doubling every 15 minutes

Really? ... REALLY? Come on Stephen, do the sums and think about how utterly implausible that is. The globe would be overrun by power stations and hard disk drives by the end of the first day of that.

1. MrZoolook
      IT Angle

Re: Amount of data in the world doubling every 15 minutes

He is probably confusing 'data' and 'my wage for doing this'.

2. Mako

Re: Amount of data in the world doubling every 15 minutes

It's okay - he's got an old copy of Stacker to compress it all with. Trouble is, he neeeds a 5.25" floppy drive to install it from.

15. John Browne 1
    Stop

Clever old Harry Beck?

Old? That's rich, Beck was 30 when the iconic Tube map was published.

The constantly (deliberately, carelessly or cynically?) inaccurate Fry is 54.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like