back to article Dell's slow response to straying data

A Dell customer is complaining to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) after a serious data breach led to his confidential details being posted to the wrong address. Stuart Nathaniel told The Register that Dell had failed to swiftly deal with the blunder despite the fact that he was seeking reassurances that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Not without problems?

But at least they seem to be doing something about it (reminds me of another thread about lost laptops, data, information and so forth ... )

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yeah yeah yeah

"....reviewed its internal procedures..."

They didn't say "We will change them to make sure it doesn't happen again".

Review does NOT mean change.

Coat ->>>>>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

True, true...

But compare that response with stuff happening in the UK regarding lost data.

Maybe some high ranking official there has stated "We fully respect privacy and good practice in handling sensitive data"?

4. tony trolle
    Thumb Down

ISO 9001

I think Dell has ISO9001 which reminds me when I wrote some; even if its wrong but the procedures writen down you get "Certified" (mine were correct even down to the make, size, colour, glue type,paper density, of sticky lables)

5. Simpson

me too

Maybe it was complete data loss.

I am the contact on our dell account. Dell started sending our corporate invoices to my home address, instead of our corporate address. To make it worse, it was an address I lived at 12 years ago, and the company didn't even exist then.

So they must have tried to track me down manually. It sounds like somebody f'd it all up pretty bad... But at least the equipment went to the right address.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell accidentally e-mailed me personal data

Late last year I got an e-mail from someone at dell with an attached MS snapshot file that listed orders, with order date and time, order e-mail address, and the orderer's name, card type, amount, and postcode. It also listed their Geofraud and FICO scores.

From this and a first and final purchasing experience from Dell, I get the impression that Dell don't know what they're doing.

This topic is closed for new posts.