back to article AMD's Hondo APUs ready for Windows 8 Q4 launch - report

Chip giant AMD is set to debut its 32nm Trinity APUs in notebooks later this month, while the firm’s tablet-friendly Hondo chips will hit the streets in the fourth quarter to coincide with the much-anticipated launch of Windows 8, Digitimes has learnt. Citing “sources from notebook players”, the Taiwan-based tech title said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and still they

Seem to be running in second place.

Come on AMD you've done it before so you can do it again, start giving Intel a proper race. I want to be in a position where I can't decide which to buy.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: and still they

I agree with you that I would love to see AMD matching Intel chips at the high-performance end, but it's not going to happen in the immediate future. What AMD are doing, and they've been open about this, is taking on Intel at the medium to low end. And they have the better solutions here! Bulldozer / Piledriver architecture is very well suited to the server market, being extremely paralllel. The APU designs provide integrated graphics in a way that Intel simply cannot match. And that gives them a massive edge in ultraportables, tablets and home computers other than the enthusiast market. Yes, a hard-core gamer with lots of money is going to have the latest separate graphics card, but right now I can buy a motherboard with onboard processor and integrated graphics for £100. And it's capable of games playing, HDMI output, SATA 6Gb/s, et al. Intel just can't match AMD for anything other than the enthusiast or very high performance market, where they win. Even my six-core AMD 1100T is plenty powerful enough for all my needs outside 3D modelling, and I run two Linux VM's within Windows 7 on it!

So we might see AMD best Intel in performance some day, but right now they're focusing on what they need to do which is besting Intel at the middle and low-end market which is probably larger anyway. If AMD can get their production problems sorted and actually meet demand, then I think they're going to do great. Bulldozer is a 1st gen of an actual new design, not another iteration of an old one. So it's had a few bumps, but equally it has a lot more room to grow and I think it will. I'll probably get one of the Piledrivers when it comes out. That's another nice thing with AMD. The latest chip will just drop right into the same socket my non-Bulldozer chip currently sits on: no m/board or memory replacement. Another big saving! :)

1. Gordon 10
        Thumb Down

Re: and still they

Not convinced.

All the APU's have going for them is graphical grunt - which gives absolutely no Edge in Ultrabooks or Tablets which are all about battery life something AMD is notoriously lousy at.

Intels process effeciency (22 vs 32 nm) and power management advantages will kill AMD in every sector of the market.

Platform advantages are spurious and transitory - Ivy Bridge is a drop in replacement for Sandy Bridge in most MB's. Besides both Intel and AMD have a history of socket changes - niether hae managed it well and arguably AMD have done it worse.

I would hesitate to call you a fanboi but those are some mighty AMD tinted specs you wear.

I would dearly love to be wrong but I dont think I am.

2. Ilgaz

They should take advantage of Intel's obsession with 8086

They have no obligation to ship x86 compatible cpu. Why don't they get a license from arm and use their years of expertise and ATI to ship an arm apu?

Enough with 1980s emulation.

2. RAMChYLD
    Terminator

I read that as "AMD's Honda APUs ready for Windows 8 Q4 launch"

And was horrified by the thought of Honda putting out vehicles with Windows 8 running them.

Terminator. Because you know, ROTM with Windows 8, AMD and Honda...

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: I read that as "AMD's Honda APUs ready for Windows 8 Q4 launch"

Somehow the image of ASIMO with a mini-gun just doesn't quite cut it though...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm -honestly- baffled the AMD processor devision can stay afloat. I don't WANT to see them go, not by a long shot, but they've been on the brink for so long I wonder why the shareholders put up with it. Or is it a giant money laundering opreation ?

1. Ilgaz

Cheap cpus, no trickery

I upgraded an office PC to from le series cheap single core dual core just paying $60. I changed _nothing_ else.

They don't do stupid tricks like adding a single pin to spec.

2. C-N
      Pirate

Why AMD will stay alive

AMD will always stay afloat as long as Intel needs someone to hold up to the US DOJ and say: "See, we don't got no monopoly. Honest, it's a competitive market."

4. localzuk Silver badge

In the battle of CPUs, they focus on GPU?

So, even though AMD are trailing significantly with their CPU line when it comes to performance, they are focussing on the bit which is pretty much irrelevant to the bulk of their potential customers - business users.

Shouldn't they be focussing on catching up with Intel, or have they decided to just pack that business in and instead focus on being a niche chipmaker?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: In the battle of CPUs, they focus on GPU?

The reality in most offices, is that most office workers now have enough processing power for all their needs. Progression at this point - for a company buying for most of its employees - is going to be about energy consumption and purchase cost (primarily the latter, outside of the server market). And AMD have always been competitive in terms of cost. They're doing well on energy consumption too. I have a fanless AMD board running my home server (M1 Hudson) and it draws very little power. It would be plenty powerful enough to act as someone's day to day work machine as well (if they were just doing spreadsheets, etc.). Cost about £150 incl. processor, memory, etc. (Rather more for all the high-capacity hard drives, mind you)

So I think AMD already are competitive with Intel for most business desktop users. I think the focus on the GPU side of things is because it helps them be competitive in the home and portable market. APU is significantly better in both cost and power consumption, than CPU + GPU. That's a plus for laptops and tablets. And better graphics is also a plus for the home market. Not everyone can afford (or wants) to buy a Radeon 7970 graphics card. But the AMD chips come with graphics that are better than an Xbox built in. They make great media centres or light games machines. Basically, AMD can't compete with Intel for high-end performance right now and they've admitted this. But they've found an edge they can exploit and they're going for it. I think they'll actually do pretty well.

5. LJRich

Forgive the ignorance...

APU? Auxillary Power Unit?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Forgive the ignorance...

Advanced Processing Unit. A touted successor to the CPU that brings the GPU back on board for closer integration.

In olden days there was the CPU and it could do integer arithmetic faster than anyone's abacus, so it was good and flourished. But it was bad at floating point, so Intel introduced the maths co-processor. A friendly little thing built differently to the CPU that sat next to it and took on all the floating point stuff its friend struggled with. The maths co-processor bit might seem like a tangent, but its relevant as you'll see shortly.

Then came graphics cards: voodoo and Matrox and all that jazz. GPUs and CPUs grew together but were separate. And that was good because different people wanted different things: gamers wanted to splurge extra money on a super GPU. The rest of us just cared about traditional processing and did not. Again, all was good.

Then people realized that as well as enabling them to shoot ever more realistic aliens, their GPU was actually a highly sophisticated parallel processing bastard that could do things a regular CPU could not. Just like our old friend the maths co-processor. Various projects to use the GPU took off and programmers realized that it was capable of much more.(at least for certain application spaces). And all was good.

AMD bought ATI giving them decent CPU market capability (not on Intel's scale, but they've not been knocked out yet) and OUTSTANDING GPU market capability. And so they began bringing the GPU and the CPU back together, cozied up on the same bit of sillicon and called it the APU. It means no separate graphics card unless you really want to splurge on something fancy. It means you don't even need a separate graphics chip which is good for all the mobile markets. And it also brings in that massively parallel processing power that the GPU has which is good for a number of application spaces. So you're down from two chips to one, in practice not a lot of CPU-style power has been lost and you've gained an extra processing capability that you didn't have before without a separate graphics card (and not all of them supported the instruction sets that were needed to make use of them outside of games anyway).

And all was good. ;)

1. LJRich
        Happy

Re: Forgive the ignorance...

Thanks for the reply! I think I owned a Matrox Parallel Processing Bastard.

6. Fenton

All in the memory!

For general office use an old Athlon x2 64 is totally adequate for your day to day needs.

It's memory which is the bottleneck on most office machines. Most companies still roll out laptops and desktops with 1GB of memory 2GB if you are lucky this is what really slows down productivity.

Add in a modern GFX (even a cheap one for £30) and you get good performance with modern browsers (thinking IE9).

Now build the GFX into the processor which AMD are doing, even with a lowly dual core or quad core and plenty of memory (64bit OS helps) and an office machine should last for years.

Workstations are a different matter, but they really only make up a very small proportion for standard business use.

1. Ilgaz

You call it old but

They still sell x2 upgrades. So it is not like agp market, still list price.

If one has le1250 like cpu, it is perfect upgrade. Add a cheap gpu, even games work. (unless you are obsessed with fps counter)

7. Britt Johnston
    Thumb Up

timely info - thanks

Thanks, newsworthy - I've been searching for information on this to know how optimise the guarantee costs on my current laptop.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trinity will be a winner in laptop

With the significant increase in performance and battery life from Trinity it will be a winner in laptop for sure. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

9. sueme2
    Terminator

win8

Q4? If MS manage to get win8 out the door, on time, and working, it will be a first. The question is, which Q4?

10. airbrush
    Happy

Bottlenecks?

Work laptop cpu copes pretty well but struggles due to disk io, my llano based laptop is indiscernible from my i5 based laptop in general use, has same overall rating but runs so much cooler. Ok the i5 isnt sandy bridge but the list price for my i5 was a lot more than the llano and only a year or so older. The llano is a cheapo laptop (and looks it in comparison) but in my experience its a better proposition at the budget end than intel based chips, make sure you go for the fastest llano with four cores as its only a fraction more. The desktops more complex though as a cheapo intel chip + graphcs card costs a similar amount for better performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like