back to article Old-school Mars rover water findings confirmed

Old-school Mars rover Opportunity has found "clear evidence" of water in the first four months of tootling around the rim of the Endeavour Crater. A vein of calcium, sulphur and gypsum. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell/ASU A vein of calcium, sulphur and gypsum. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell/ASU The crater is around four …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ryan 7
    Unhappy

Are we sure it's not just Spirit's tears?

http://xkcd.com/695/

2. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

3 month mission....

8 years ago, and still working?. Hope the Curiosity had the sense to carry a Zimmer-frame for Opportunity.

Seriously, real engineering skills here. Gosmaked, I am.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: 3 month mission....

Brilliant, isn't it. Big thumbs up to the engineers!

1. Simon Harris
        Thumb Up

Re: 3 month mission....

When estimating the longevity of these missions, I'm sure the engineers must follow Scotty's repair estimation philosophy (although in reverse!)...

Kirk: How much refit time before we can take her out again?

Scotty: Eight weeks, sir... but ya don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for ya in two.

Kirk: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?

Scotty: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As predicted!

Old-school Mars rover water findings confirmed... and those water findings were predicted by string theory! Probably the water was left there by Thetans. If it was, then string theory predicted that too!

Fact.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

That's a demolished wall from the garden an old alien secret base.

The water is there to irrigate the roses and peas.

5. Tom 13
    Alien

Percival Lowell was right!

Mars Needs Women Now!

6. Danny 14
    Happy

hmm

the odds are a thousand to 1 against I say.

7. TheProf
    Facepalm

Everywhere

Sorry if I missed it in the article but couldn't this water have come from an icy comet impact?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like