back to article NHS rolls out open-source test results service for renal patients

Patients of 53 renal units across the UK are accessing results and clinical letters through a secure online system, often meaning they get the information faster than their GPs. Renal PatientView is used by 19,000 patients who have opted in to accessing their results online. The system also lets patients add their own data - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Ferris
    Holmes

Old hat

Many GP surgeries ( including my own) allow patients full read-only access to their full medical records

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Old hat

Yes and in others, read only access means they take the pen off you.

2. TonyHoyle

Re: Old hat

Mine has that in theory - in fact it's the reason I chose that practice.

2 years later they've yet to allocate me a username despite badgering.

3. Ian McNee
      Go

Re: Old hat - but the bigger story is...

Two NHS trusts collaborate to produce an open source solution in-house rather than spending millions on a system badly specified by pen-pushers and bureaucrats and badly implemented by money-grabbing private contractors.

I think that's a pretty fucking big story that large sections of the cash-strapped public sector could learn from: valuing skilled staff, delivering a good service and saving money not only for the institutions that developed the system but potentially for the sector as a whole.

1. The BigYin

@Ian McNee - I wish I had more upvotes for you. This is exactly what the NHS should be doing. Hopefully it can be expanded to other services.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Happy

What?! Put all those Sir Humphrey's out of jobs, are you mad?!

What kind of world would we hand over to our children, if things actually got done?

3. kain preacher

@Ian McNee

The problem is this. Often times when a smaller part of an organization comes up with a good plan that should be easy to implement, some one along the way finds a way to screw it up. This is due to some idiot having to put their touch on it . Then you have jobworths that feel this is a threat to their job. Lastly you have cronyism.

2. John A Blackley

Really?

"renal units do not generally send results and letters to GPs electronically"

Why not?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like