back to article Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770K quad-core CPU

Reg Hardware PC Week Intel loves marketing jargon for most things it produces, and the company’s processor architecture roadmap is no different. In Intel speak, this moves along in "Tick-Tock" sequence. The Tock refers to a major revamp to the core architecture, while the Tick covers changes to the manufacturing process. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Seb123

Heat

Ivy Bridge does run cooler at stock settings, but I am surprised there was no mention of the heat when over-clocked.

2. Jase 1
    WTF?

Price?

I take it the price quoted is for the CPU only? The review is confusing as hell jumping between CPU then CPU and mobo and then back again - even the summary talks about both in tandem so which is it?

1. Seb123

Re: Price?

Price is CPU only and is favourable when compared to the equivalent sandy bridge CPU.

1. h4rm0ny

When compared to Sandy Bridge, yes. But whilst Intel are unquestionably occupying the top of the performance tower, cheaper apartments further down, are all being sold by AMD. How much of what most people do day to day is CPU bound and how much by disk or graphics? AMD can't compete with Intel in the arena of Who Has The Highest Numbers, but with their new combined GPU-CPUs, they are absolutely taking the crown in the Does What I Want For Significantly Less arena.

I think Intel know this. If AMD foundries could actually keep up with demand, they'd be the default for most of the of new tablet, netbook and laptop designs right now. Low power, built in Radeon graphics and good performance (just not elite performance like Intel's headline grabbers). And their parallisation is good which keeps them in the server market too.

1. Gordon 10
          Thumb Down

Really? Care to post some substantiation for those comments?

Without them you just look like a fanboi.

1. jason 7

I have to say since the advent of dual cores I've struggled to justify subsequent CPU upgrades.

If I was brutally honest I could still be getting by fine with my old Opteron 180.

My main laptop uses just a CULV Intel 1.3Ghz dual core in it.

I find I go longer and longer between upgrades. I haven't paid more than £100 for a new CPU in years. The last one cost £60.

Unless you are looking for a cure for cancer, transcoding video all day or just love wasting your life with pointless synthetic benchmarks for bragging rights, most folks don't need to either.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Eh. My laptop is a 1.4GHz C2D MacBook Air and I can easily do all my work on it, although building and launching the project I'm working on can take up to 20 seconds (longer for a full build)... it's not killing me, but I do it often enough that I wouldn't complain if it was faster.

2. . 3
          Thumb Up

Well for a point of reference, the work I do is very CPU and memory bound. I spent quite a bit of time looking at Ivy Bridge and the alternatives, and went for a 3570k (quad-core Ivy Bridge but without Hyper Threading). Performance for well behaved multi threaded programs is identical to the 3770, but there's a near on £80 price difference.

3. Craig 12

Was the cpu voltage increased for that stable overclock? And are we talking stock cooler?

I have the Noctua D14, so temps were not a problem for me, but I had to up the juice to get 3770k stable at higher speeds. Did you test with prime95 or anything similar?

I only ask because otherwise this article could be a little misleading.

4. negative
    Facepalm

UEFI

I am sorry, but that part about UEFI suggests that its' main feature is GUI and it is just wrong and misleading. Pointing devices can be used due to UEFI's ability do use device drivers along many of its advantages.

1. Andrew 63
      IT Angle

Re: UEFI

Very misleading as UEFI is the replacement for the "BIOS" system we all know.

UEFI is a completely different system all together. To take advantage of the full UEFI features you need a UEFI OS that has a UEFI boot loader, a good example is Windows Vista/7 or Ubuntu. On UEFI based systems, they will appear on the GUI as seperate items from standard drives.

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

MHz madness

IME changing the multipliers doesn't do much except stroke the ego - the fundamental limitation is how fast you can feed the CPU and that side of things is fixed speed.

IE: What does this do faster at 4.7GHz (other than get hotter, faster?)

1. Seb123

Re: MHz madness

It does quite a lot of things faster, if you’re likely to use the computing power on things like content creation, encoding or compiling code.

2. lurker

Re: MHz madness

I'm not an overclocking fanmyself, but there's no denying that a CPU running at 20% higher MHz can do 20% more calculations in a given time, which is after all the core purpose of a processor.

Whether or not you can actually make use of this depends what you do with your PC. For gaming the bottleneck is almost always the graphics card rather than the CPU, but for more 'workstation' type loads such as rendering or video encoding upping the multiplier will most definitely result in more stuff getting done in the same time.

Not sure what you're on about when you're talking about 'how fast you can feed the CPU', you seem to be suggesting there is some sort of motherboard/bus-related bottleneck which is just plain wrong.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "For gaming the bottleneck is almost always the graphics card"

That used to be true, but nowadays the CPU has loads or more and more complex AI stuff to handle while it sends things to the GPU, so it no longer always works that way.

Case in point : my Supreme Commander game got a lot more fluid when I got my 8-core i7 960, even before I upgraded from my X850 to my Radeon 5870.

I think that, with today's much more complex games, more CPU horsepower is just as important as GPU horsepower.

Unless the programming is done by clueless monkeys, in which case you can throw as many resources you want at it and it'll still run like a dog (ie any version of Microsoft Flight, and that's far from the only example).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An i7 960 would be a quad core - 8 threads with HT.

To the usual chorus of who needs all that power? Plenty! If you are still happy with <2GHz era chips then fine but many of us do lots more than write text and answer emails.

I upgraded my old dual core to a hex core 3930K just before Christmas and am using software that pegs all 12 threads

7. SnowCrash
    Thumb Up

Just upgraded.....

...from a i7 920 to a 3770K and, for my purposes, it a great upgrade. Benchmark rendering in 3dsmax gave me a 388% performance increase. If you're upgrading from Sandy Bridge may it may not be worth it but if you skipped that then I'd recommend.

One thing I wasn't expecting was the power usage. I used to have an "intelligent" powerstrip that would switch off all the peripherals when my machine went to sleep. Now when the machine is idle it doesn't draw enough power to trigger the other sockets.......

8. N13L5
    FAIL

mouse bios...??

err, you're making it sound like a mouse bios is some kind of revelation...

You can set a bios a LOT faster and with less hand movement using the keyboard.

not sure who this would be a benefit to, unless this main board is meant to end up in an iPad, whose users probably shouldn't touch a bios by any method...

9. Schultz
    WTF?

Turbo snail

Intel integrates 'Turbo Boost' to take the chip temporarily from 3.5 to 3.9 GHz (some 10% boost).

But you can also overclock it to 4.7 GHz (a boost exceeding 30%).

Sounds like Intel opts for the turbo snail mode!

1. David Gosnell

Re: Turbo snail

Obliquely reminds me of the days in the early 90's when PCs often had a "Turbo" button on the front, usually alongside a 7-segment numeric LED display (programmable via jumpers, which I wrote an app for my Psion to work out). Needless to say, turbo actually meant normal speed, and unless engaged, the CPU was typically underclocked by 50%.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like