back to article Philips HMP2000 HD Media Player

Philips describes its new HMP2000 as a ‘smart media box’, along the lines of rivals such as the AppleTV and Western Digital’s WDTV Live. However, it would probably be more accurate to describe it as a Netflix box, since Netflix is clearly its primary raison d’être. Philips HMP2000 HD networked media player Media smartie: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ridley
    FAIL

Design by committee

Who on earth sits down and thinks "I know lets make a set top box that nothing will stack on"?

Apart from that a very very limited device.

Very much a fail for me.

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Wouldn't the 7000 be more review-worthy?

It's mentioned in passing, but it seems to be a better specified unit, with DLNA support too...

In price and features it's more like the AppleTV or WD... how about a group-test?

3. Karl 14

Boxee Box

I've had two of Boxee Boxes since launch, and are the sweetest media players out there...

1. Alex Walsh

Re: Boxee Box

I've got a boxee box. They're buggy as hell- mine now hangs as I try to switch accounts. There's always something not working quite right :/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pass!

Philips are really on the downward spiral to a 'stick on' brand if they are not already there. If its "G" its not a hope of doing the 1080p over wireless unless the router is next to it.

All the are hoping for is, seeing the Netflix signs in curry's/tv and putting it on the shelf near bye undercutting the next brand. Its where Philips are these days, following and not leading.

1. Greg 16

Re: Pass!

If it was streaming your own content then yeah wireless probably wouldn't be fast enough - but netfix is pretty low bandwidth so it should work fine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like