back to article Apple updates iOS, mum on Wi-Fi, battery fixes

Apple has released an update to its iOS mobile operating system, version 5.1.1, which it claims remove some bugs and improves reliability of some options, but which does not address the wireless connectivity problems – well, at least not overtly – that have had some fanbois fuming. The update, released Monday, is for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mr_Happy
    Happy

Tethered Jailbreak Remains

Redsn0w has been updated to support this version already, as long as you don't have a iPhone 4S or iPad 3

1. Confuciousmobil
      Meh

Re: Tethered Jailbreak Remains

RedSn0w has not been updated. As with lots of minor upgrades it does not need to be but you must point it at the 5.1 Ipsw and is exactly the same tethered JB as 5.1

With JailBroken devices, incremental updates do not work (thank you Apple) so you will have to download the full Ipsw ( the size varies by device but the actual size and SHAs can be found on the Wiki).

Really not a lot in this update to get exited about.

3. Kynth
    Pirate

Conductivity?

You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Do you mean connectivity?

1. Mexflyboy
      Paris Hilton

Re: Conductivity?

I agree, someone get the writer a dictionary as I believe le mot juste is "connectivity"!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Conductivity?

A typo that's been fixed.

C.

4. Annihilator
    Meh

So

Based on the official list of what it's released for, I think I'll leave it for now. A real case of "nothing to see here"

1. LoopyChew

Re: So

Sophos suggests that despite Apple's description of the updates, there are some big problems that get fixed in this update: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/05/08/apple-offers-ios-5-1-1-update-fixes-some-serious-vulnerabilities/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why - seems pretty pointless to leave something that takes about 30 seconds to install.

1. Annihilator
        Holmes

@AC because with any firmware upgrade (which this effectively is) there's a risk of bricking. May well be a small risk but why take it if the net result is zero? There's also that Apple habit of introducing bugs with a point release that I'd rather avoid.

@LoopyChew thanks for the article. If only Apple could treat its customers like grownups and release that info clearly I might be quicker to patch.

5. Arctic fox

Pardon my ignorance......

"The 5.1.1 update's iTunes-download file size for our first-generation iPad was 726.1MB; downloading it using the iPad's Software Update function was a svelte 42.3MB."

............but why the huge difference? Does the latter have proper file compression and the former not? I ask out of wholly genuine curiosity.

1. Bush_rat
      Holmes

Re: Pardon my ignorance......

I would assume is it's because Apple don't wont you to use a computer with your iDevice. Even thou they sell computers themselves.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The extra 683.8MB is probably just a "free" optional Google toolbar...

3. Robert Heffernan
      Boffin

It would have something to do with the incremental updates. iOS is capable of updating only the changed files that make up the os, whereas iTunes is an all or nothing process.

1. Arctic fox

@Robert Heffernan Re "whereas iTunes is an all or nothing process."

Meaning, I presume, that it in practice is a full install of all updates, even ones you already have via iTunes? Well, that would explain it! Thanks, I appreciate the info. -:)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read the article - one is the FULL update (the whole OS) - the other is an incremental update (just the bits that have changed).

6. westernshark

large size download

My guess about the huge difference in file size is that when you have iTunes download the update, it is downloading a file that can be used on all iOS devices whereas if you download directly on your device, it has a chance to only download the components it needs. For example, my first gen iPad doesn't need the camera, airplay, GPS, telephone, and many other items that would be found on an iPhone 4S or the new iPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: large size download

Odd, with MS, when you do an "online" upgrade, it only upgrades the stuff relevant to you, whereas an offline upgrade / patch / whatever, is the full version.

Kind of makes more sense that way round.

2. Annihilator
      Boffin

Re: large size download

Nope, iTunes downloads specific firmwares depending on the device. The iPad2 complete firmware is different to the "new iPad" etc.

It's literally downloading the entire firmware(s) because Apple haven't built in the ability to do the patching that the devices themselves can do.

7. json

Mute problem still is a problem..

when I upgraded my iphone 4 to ios 5.1, my phone is always on mute when making calls (ie the other party cant hear me), putting it on speakphone or using a headset however works.. fast forward to 5.1.1 and still the same problem. What I noticed was the mute button (on the virtual keypad) always has the dashed line across it.. whether its highlighted or not. I'm not losing any sleep on this but it sure is irritating.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mute problem still is a problem..

Tried asking Apple - I don't like the name 'Genius Bar' but I'm not American and perhaps they do - but they are pretty helpful.

2. Ambivalous Crowboard
      Holmes

Plug headphones in, then remove them.

Do that while in a call, and while not in a call.

3. Chad H.

I had that... In addition to always muting it kept saying this accessory isn't compatible.

Caused by corrosion in the port. Swapped at a genius bar on the spot no questions asked.

Had it have been any other phone you probably would have to mail it off, wait 4-6 weeks whilst constantly making phone calls to chase them, only for them to try and weasel out of it with a claim of water damage.

8. Kris Akabusi

Good to see a manufacturer supporting their older devices (3GS is coming up 3 years old).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A thinly veiled dig at Android there, well done. Have a medal.

1. Kris Akabusi

ahhh you saw through my veil of deceit..............

seriously through I bought a desire about 18 months ago as I wanted to try android (kept my 3gs) and generally did like android. The desire was well built, had a (from my view) better screen then the 3gs but the things that made me go back to the 3gs was that there was no OTA update to gingerbread and it kept running out of space.

So in summary I have tried both devices, I might pick up a one x when they have been out a while, but I don't think i am a fan boy, I just like to applaud when a company does something right and that on this occasion is apple. If you can name an android phone older then 2 years that is still supported by the manufacturer then I will be intrested.

2. Alan_Peery

Except for ____ of course

Siri

Airplay Mirroring

Location based alerts

There are surely more things than that, but that's all I can come up with at the moment...

1. Alex Bailey
        FAIL

Re: Except for ____ of course

...and the Bluetooth incompatibilities that were introduced in iOS 5.0.

A lot of people have complained about Bluetooth devices that no longer work properly with the iPhone, particularly hands free car kits. Shame the press haven't picked up on this in the same way as the battery life issues as we may have otherwise had it fixed by now!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try that with your Android device - the two I had the manufacturer gave up on one and on the other it was locked so I had to wait for the mobile operator to update / release it - which never came. Sure I could have re-ROM'd it but it's pretty crappy. My dad has a 3GS - 3 years old and he's still happy with it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also interesting to see if Nokia will be supporting the new Lumia range with updates like Apple or following the worst of the Android handsets.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

3GS still on sale

Apple won't cut off support for something that they are still peddling to 'iFans-on-a-budget'.

1. gujiguju

Re: 3GS still on sale

...or "homeless iFans", since a 3GS is free (w/ the requisite 2-yr data contract).

9. GettinSadda
    Mushroom

Broke my iPhone

This update has broken my iPhone with the dreaded "itunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone" problem. Reluctant to force a factory reset as although I have an almost up-to-date backup, there are a few items that I changed after the backup that I don't want to lose. Currently no idea how to fix, so iPhone-less!

1. RubberJohnny

Re: Broke my iPhone

You don't want to lose a few changes, so you choose to lose the whole phone?

2. Gordon 10
      Facepalm

Re: Broke my iPhone

Correction. Your statement should read

"Unable to comprehend that you have the fix but you dont want to apply it coz you are waiting for the magic fairies to come and make it all better."

Once you have exhausted the different USB ports/cables, different computers, fresh install of iTunes options you are left with the Aliens option.

"Nuke it from Orbit - its the only way to be sure"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For ipad2 ?

Curiously, while my 3GS is now chugging away laboriously at its update (5.1 to 5.1.1, over WiFi), the iPad2 3G+WiFi next to it (using the same WiFi network, not 3G) is reporting that its iOS 5.1 is up to date ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like