back to article OCZ flexes its Flash guns, predicts further embulgement ahead

It must be doing something right; flash storage supplier OCZ increased annual revenues 92 per cent in its latest financial year and expects 80 per cent growth next year. What about profits? Moving on …. OCZ makes and sells an awful lot of consumer flash. It has begun to get vertically integrated, buying the Indilinx controller …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Is it just me that looks at that graph and only pays attention to the "net income" line (i.e. profit) and thinks "Damn! How are they still allowed to trade?"

Looks like they are urinating money to me. Not surprising, given previous articles about their drives and customer service for faulty units:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/01/17/ocz_no_refund/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Amount of money they're losing is paltry compared to the revenue. They should have no trouble finding finance from *many* places to underwrite those percentages of loss for a very long time, especially whilst analysts continue to talk about them being bought for $4-5bn.

2. Inachu
    Pint

I can't wait to buy a drive by OCZ that does not cost an arm and a leg. Sure that can be said of all the SSD sellers out there but I prefer OCZ as my home brand. Never had issues with them yet.

3. gujiguju

Amazon high-growth/no-profit ramp-up

Sounds like OCZ is doing interesting things in the SSD market and thinking long-term. My question is does Ryan Peterson look like Jeff Bezos...or just he just strategizes like him? ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sales and Profits could rise...

...if OCZ actually sold reliable, compatible SSDs and didn't spend so much time with RMAs on defective goods.

I would definitely not bet on OCZ's success even if they have some visionary abilities. Execution seems to be their never-ending problem.

5. tezzer74
    WTF?

No idea on the quality of their product in this case but I have been bitten by their USB flash drive quality. Every OCZ USB flash drive Ive had has failed. I ever RMA'd one only to be messed around constantly as they insisted the item was returned to The Netherlands by courier, and then the return item got caught in customs for import duty and VAT. I stuck to my guns and insisted they paid these fee's as it wasn't my fault their product was faulty. All in All it took over 3 wks to get just one of the drives replaced, and potentially the courier fee's and import and VAT duty on the replacement would have cost more than the drive.

So if they still work the same way, would I want to go through all that?

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

You got conned. Import duty and VAT shouldn't apply to product returns, warranty replacements, etc. I don't think, in either direction. They "sorted it out" by telling the customs people it was a warranty replacement. Didn't cost them a penny over and above their own administration costs.

Does mean that they probably didn't label the product properly on its return journey, though, or customs wouldn't have bothered to question it.

This topic is closed for new posts.