back to article Auntie hops in bed with Murdoch on MySpace

The BBC's commercial tentacle has turned a blind one to the Corporation's past antipathy toward Rupert Murdoch in its hunt for wandering youthful eyeballs. A deal with MySpace, announced today, will see clips from TV shows and web-only videos pumped into the chaotic network worldwide. Management are worried the BBC will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andy
    Pirate

no adblock here, just 30 second skip.

Hopefully this will expose the myspace generation to quality programming like topgear and help speed up the torrents a bit here in the states.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

No...

> Like those tie-ups, it's pretty irrelevant to UK viewers, who can now use the iPlayer to watch whole programs without advertising...

No, what you mean is:

"Like those tie-ups, it's pretty irrelevant to UK users of Microsoft operating systems who are brave enough to use Internet Explorer rather than a proper browser, who can now use the iPlayer to watch whole programs without advertising..."

As a Linux user and holder of a TV tax certificate ... errmmm, sorry, TV Licence, I'm less than jolly about being treated as a second-class citizen (no Linux version of the iPlayer), now that the BBC is a subsidiary of the Microsoft Corporation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Yes (but no but yes ...)

Linux users are only treated as 2nd class citizens if they really think they want to have Kontiki running in the background eating up CPU and bandwidth quota ... the new streaming version of iPlayer works fine for me in firefox on XP and I'd assume the same would be the case for linux as well.

4. W
    Alert

@ No...

The Flash iPlayer works with Firefox. So hush it.

In return for your licence fee, all the BBC TV and radio programmes are available free to air.

You pays yer Windows/OSX tax (or otherwise if your Linux .iso was free) and you takes yer choice, knowing full-well that the non-flash iPlayer is a value-added service (an alternative to a DVD).

BBC hasn't given me a free HDD Freeview box. I can't recieve 6music on my FM radio. The bbc website hasn't all been translated into Gaelic, and I can't access it via my Gamecube. Jeremy Clarkson did not personally deliver a VHS copy of a Top Gear episode of my choosing to an address of my choosing at a time of my choosing.

Boo hoo. You knew what you were doing when you installed Linux. You were opting out. Credit to ya for fighting the fight and everything. But face the consequences of your actions.

5. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Thumb Down

Streaming pile of oops.

How can iPlayer be available for Linux?

It took years and cost a large fortune to cobble together the player. And there was no money in the pot or time to make do and mend the last time BBC TV tax was mentioned in parliament.

So where did the funding come from to bring the rebirth of the original abortion?

6. Alastair

iPlayer on Linux- keep up

There's a flash version. It works on Linux. Please, please, shut up about it now.

7. jai

title and subtitle

just got to say, this item has the best Title and Subtitle combination ever - you've surpassed yourself this time El Reg

8. michael

@ iplayer

I know form personal experance that flash iplayer works on firefox on winxp so it should work on most flavors on nix

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

linux

Flash under linux is a tricky one. Adobe release a version of flash for linux intel i386 only.

Linux can run on your forking toaster as its that great - but as adobe only release flash for intel i386. So if your like me and have an apple mac mini powerpc with linux on - then no iplayer for you. In addition my wii and ps3 dont seem to like it either. I expect all 64bit chips are a no no as well.

Flash was a reasonable solution as there isn't much else - I just wish the bbc had continued their work with dirac so an open source solution that would work with any computer system. Windows, mac and many incarnations of linux.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I still can't watch BBC programmes

on my 48K Sinclair ZX Spectrum

11. Dr Stephen Jones

Something else in common

While Murdoch kow-towed to the Chinese over Star, the BBC caved in to the Saudis with its BBC Arabic TV station, a commercial joint-venture. The staff and were BBC trained. This launched as Al-Jazeera after a craven BBC pulled the plug.

12. Jimbo
    Linux

Works fine with linux?

I have linux on one of machines and it works fine.

This topic is closed for new posts.