back to article Bank dumps customers in 'irrigation ditch'

It's clear that things are pretty rough in Spain, but we wonder if it's really necessary for banking monolith La Caixa to rub its customers' noses in it. No doubt La Caixa has plenty of account holders who, in times of plenty and easy credit, took out a couple of mortgages (flat in Madrid, nice little place in the country) and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Don't hold your breath, Lester (unless you're in the Irrigation Channel, in which case holding your nose might be wise!)

2. Ian Ferguson
    Trollface

Rather than picking on their English, you could always conduct domestic Spanish business in, you know, Spanish. Being in Spain and all.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Actually, La Caixa's Catalan, so I suppose they could insist we do all business in that attractive lingo.

3. mike2R
    Joke

ob

We were evicted from *our* irrigation ditch; we had to go and live in a lake!

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

LUXURY!!

(etc.)

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Thumb Up

Re: LUXURY!!

Congratulations Mr. McCoatover, a complete Monty Python sketch reduced to two words. Well worth an upvote.

1. Roger Jenkins

I always thought that that sketch was taken from Ripping Yarns. But t'was a long time ago and memory fades.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It wasn't Monty Python it was from "At last the 1948 show" and was written by Tim Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman along with the later pythons John Cleese and Graham Chapman.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: lake property

We had to live in Liberace's underpants.

While he was wearing them :(

4. Cazzo Enorme

That's a bit insensitive, given how many ordinary Spaniards ended up in an irrigation ditch (with a bullet to the back of the bonce) the last time their elites fucked things up.

1. SoaG

Last time?

There's only ever been one time, it just never ends.

Not just Spain it's the same everywhere else. Elites/government fuck everything up, always. It's what they do.

The real problem is so many of us plebes keep looking for the elites to change their spots and fix something.

1. mike2R

Re: Last time?

You're cynical, but are you cynical enough...?

"Not just Spain it's the same everywhere else. Elites/government fuck everything up, always. It's what they do."

Apart from the times when the plebs actually have thrown out the elites. Then you have a bloodbath, possibly famine, and just end up with a new set of elites at the end of the process that are no better than the last lot.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

1. Roger Greenwood

"Homage to Catalonia" ?

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Re: Last time? Plus ça change....

Capitalism is the exploitation of man by man

Communism is the other way around.

3. Cazzo Enorme

Apart from the times when the plebs actually have thrown out the elites. Then you have a bloodbath, possibly famine, and just end up with a new set of elites at the end of the process that are no better than the last lot.

I'm struggling to think of examples. In all the cases I can think of, one elite was thrown out by another. The Khmer Rouge were an intellectual elite. The Bolsheviks divided Russian Marxists by advocating an elite lead revolution rather than just encouraging the workers to rise up. The French Revolution was lead by an intellectual and nascent industrialist elite.

The only "pleb" lead revolutions I can think of are ones like the Paris Commune - which ended in bloodshed when it was suppressed, but was not founded or perpetuated by it.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

uneasy sleeps the head that wears the crown

which is why you should treat al bosses l with contempt, but just short of revolution and all its consequences.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wanna be elite/ and I wanna fuck shit up/

Instead I just get to fix everybody else's messes. That why everybody looks down on me? What fun.

Coat? No coat, can't afford it.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Tom 7

Got to be a fishing site

a bank would never allow You to update Your details easily and for free.

1. Christoph

Re: Got to be a fishing site

Except for the banks which make it easy to change your address details. So the notices of suspicious activity get sent to the fake address that the bloke draining your bank account changed it to.

1. ScottAS2

Re: Got to be a fishing site

Maybe that's what they mean by "drainage ditch".

7. C-N

must be some sort of error

I think they meant to say "Overlooking scenic waterway."

1. Esskay
      Joke

Re: must be some sort of error

That's what they tell you when you take out the loan...

8. disgruntled yank

actually

Having lived some years in a house that backed to an irrigation ditch, I can tell you that in the US they do have a right of way along the side, 4 or 5 meters in the case of the one I knew. I don't think that an American bank would care to write a mortgage on a house if the only access was by irrigation ditch right of way. Well, maybe they would have during the bubble.

9. Bucky 2
    Go

Did I misunderstand?

In the days before cell phones, you used to have to have land lines all over the place.

If you worked in agriculture, I wouldn't find it all that weird to have a phone way the hell out in the fields. Perhaps near an irrigation ditch. It probably wouldn't be a PRIMARY phone number, and I admit such phones are probably more or less obsolete now.

But if you needed a tag for a location of such a phone, what else would you use?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Instead of "Irrigation Ditch"

You should say "Indoor Pool"! You know its true when it rains or when the sprinklers are turned on....

11. Bill Fresher

Privacy

Why blur the phone number but leave the address?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Privacy

Well, anyone prepared to make the trip is welcome to drop by, I just don't want them calling me beforehand.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like