back to article At last: Violin to push out HANA appliance

We should be seeing HANA running on a Violin Memory platform, a HANA appliance, probably within 60 days. This is a forthcoming Violin Memory array using TLC flash with embedded servers running SAP's HANA in-memory database. Conversations with people who understand what's happening in Violin have added additional clarity to our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. apleszko

So far SAP HANA 1.0 only runs with Intel Westmere 10-core processors, installed on quad or octa sockets servers... It is unlikely Xeon 5600 would be certified exclusively to Violin, even considering SAP's investment on the company. Maybe they are referring to another HANA based solution.

1. John Appleby
      Thumb Up

Agreed, there is no way that SAP will certify the 5600 as it does not meet the performance envelope that HANA requires.

2. Nate Amsden

more like a server with storage

rather than storage with servers. Especially since it's an appliance.

1. John Appleby

Re: more like a server with storage

I have been pondering this and Violin does have an interesting proposition with SAP HANA because it may not require the separate - and very expensive - Fusion IO card.

If Violin can dispense with the FIO then they could dramatically reduce the cast of a single node HANA appliance.

The problem is in practical application because distributed instances (required for >1TB databases) have several Intel server nodes - each with Fusion IO cards for log storage, combined with a central NAS for data storage. I can't see how Violin fits into this model because I suspect their storage would not perform compared to the Fusion IO in distributed scenarios because of I/O bottlenecks in the shared storage model.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: more like a server with storage

Why does there need to be bottlenecks in a shared storage model. if your storage is based on memory access....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Single Point Of Failure ...

OK, so if the DB is running in the storage array, where's the HA? What if the backplane goes pop? What if I need extra DB servers to access that data? This just sounds weird.

4. Matthew Morris
    Meh

@AC

Very few databases that I know of run in storage. All of the ones I can think of - Oracle, Informix, DB2, Sybase, SQL Server, Vertica, MySQL.

All of them do all of their work in Server DRAM - storage (flash, ssd, spindles) is used for persistence (retrieval/recovery).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like