back to article Hosting firm suffers 'innocent' intrusion after billing system hacked

Web-hosting firm eUKHost has been hacked by Pakistani hacking team UrduHack, which appeared to have gained access to its billing system. The company sent out an email to customers and announced on its website over the weekend that it had spotted the intrusion within the last 24 hours. "We can confirm that an administrator …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adam payne

How many times have we been told that no customer data was at risk?

If I was a customer i'd be cancelling my card as a precaution anyway.

2. wowfood

I wouldn't mind quite so much (I paid through paypal and change my pw regularly) except for one thing.

However I am looking at changing my host in the future, anyone who could recommend a good host? I'm looking for somebody who might have something similar to their eNight cloud, except one that'd allow for windows / ASP.NET code. (never been much good at php)

1. danielwalewis

Maybe Vidahost's cloud? https://www.vidahost.com/cloud

3. ashR
    Facepalm

"outdated software that wasn't shut down properly on the website"

Or rather, ourdated software that we neglected to update. In this case, most likely WHMCS.

1. danielwalewis

More than likely! They run ebillhost for billing, but I bet WHMCS was left dormant and outdated

4. CJM
    Windows

I accept you get what you pay for.

I'm with EUKHost, but just like wowfood, I am less concerned because I also pay through Paypal. If not, I'd certainly be changing may cards.

In their defence, at least they have been reasonably upfront, and there are bigger and better companies to have suffered worse. EUKHost have been OK for me; not stellar performance, but they have been *reasonably* reliable. if nothing else, they can be contacted for support and usually they'll get you a solution,

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to try someone else if I could get something for the same money, but at £22/mo for a Windows VPS, there aren't many competing deals. So currently I accept that I'm not paying top dollar and therefore I can't expect premium performance and features.

1. Notas Badoff
      FAIL

Re: I accept you get what you pay for.

"In their defence, at least they have been reasonably upfront, and ..."

No.

"The company sent out an email to customers and announced on its website over the weekend that it had spotted the intrusion within the last 24 hours."

"The group usually posts videos of its hacks on YouTube and posted the eUKHost video four weeks ago."

4 weeks <> 24 hours

'Upfront' would be "we've had our pants pulled down for 4 weeks without noticing the buffeting." Or... are they still without clue?

1. This Side Up
        Facepalm

Re: I accept you get what you pay for.

I goit the email message on Saturday but because it containd a link to a domain that was not eukhost.com I reported it as abuse. Then of course when i wanted to use my control panel I had to change my password.

This topic is closed for new posts.