back to article Gigantic lava spirals wreck Mars ice valley theory

A boffin-in-training has discovered huge snail-like coils of lava on Mars that suggest the flow of molten rock formed valleys on the surface rather than ice. For years scientists have wondered if parts of the Red Planet were long ago shaped by frozen water, the presence of which supports hope that there is or was life on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crisp

Would you kindly...

Get your ass to Mars?

1. John A Blackley

Re: Would you kindly...

What do you have against my donkey?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Would you kindly...

That's no mule!

2. Chris Miller

Lava spirals?

They're clearly Martian Rock Snakes.

1. boothamshaw

Re: Lava spirals?

first thing I thought of too. whodathoughtit.

3. Stevie

Bah!

Never mind all this lava spiral twaddle, where are the pictures of women as slim as boats and boats as slim as women?

4. Local Group
    Alien

If you are truly interested in life on Mars

I suggest you see a movie called "John Carter of Mars" (based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs novel "A Princess of Mars"). The Disney Studios spent a fortune to accurately describe the inhabitants, atmosphere, gravity, etc. of the Red Planet and show how similar they are to our own.

You will even see Mars' own version of Caesar and Antony.

The only coils I remember were used by the art director in designing the Princess's bed room and they were quite magnificent.

No doubt, the film is worth every penny of a senior admission.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Presumably, in their free time, the Martians were found to take delight in mars bars.

1. Ole Juul
      Coat

Mars bars?

On such a dry planet I imagine any kind of drinking establishment would do a brisk business.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slabs that resemble pack ice?

I don't understand how you would ever have had pack ice on Mars, let alone why anybody would be able to see it now. Just because something looks like pack ice, in an environment where it physically can't exist, doesn't make it pack ice or even water.

There are other liquids other than just water. A magma flow strikes me as a pretty close simulcrum of an ice/water slurry flow, just using something other than water, and at a slightly different temperature/pressure profile.

7. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Unhappy

"Gigantic lava spirals wreck Mars ice valley theory"

Sounds like the main plot of a really bad pr0n movie.

8. GreenJimll

A first year grad student getting a paper in Science? That's quite an achievement in and of itself!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Depends on what it is supposed to achieve.

The post is required, and must contain letters.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like