back to article No sex please, we're Telstra

Telstra has decided not to promote access to “adult oriented content” on BigPond's video download service. The directive from Telstra CEO David Thodey came after customer complaints over the availability of adult-orientated movies or videos that objectify women. In an email to staff Thodey said that he agreed with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Just saying ...

"This decision is not about censorship, but choice and respecting gender equality."

It has been the decision of Telstra to remove a certain class of content. This reduces choice and is censorship.

Respecting gender equality would mean making a positive effort to promote 'adult' content that is specifically targeted at women.

Perhaps realistically, "we don't want to upset customers because that would affect our profits". There's nothing wrong with that so why not say it?

2. DrXym

I think the history books are wrong

England didn't send all its convicts to Australia, it sent all its luddites.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"videos that objectify women"

Right! Damn those object-oriented skin flicks. How about some functional booty instead? Or you could put in a few Horn clauses. On the other hand, imperative programming is where it's at!

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: "videos that objectify women"

I thought it was going to be a screen capture (probably done with a shaky camcorder) of a SHRDLU session.

> PUT THE WOMAN ON THE PYRAMID

THE WOMAN FALLS OFF THE PYRAMID.

> PUT THE WOMAN ON THE RED CUBE.

THE WOMAN IS ON THE RED CUBE.

(with apologies for all caps... it's all we had back then)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my ex girlfriend enjoys that sort of content even more than I do

so how does that work for banning it being gender equality?

5. deadlockvictim
    Thumb Down

How many women are there in Telstra's management?

I'm sure that equality of the sexes is uppermost in the minds of Telstra execs when it comes to making it easier for parents [1] to gain management positions.

[1] And I don't just mean parents whose spouses stay at home and look after the kids.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

videos that objectify women

Oh dear

That means Telstra users won't be able to see a large part of Hollywood's and TV channel's blockbusters and almost no commercials at all.

Great, I'm all for it!

7. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

"we cannot support anything that is sexist or that is inconsistent with our values"

Those "values" are, presumably, to make arbitrary decisions based on anecdotal evidence and to give credence to whinges from the "We don't like this, so you shouldn't be allowed to see it" brigade...

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

What a pussy!

Oh wait, nix that!

9. Steve Brooks

You failed to mention that the material in question is MA15+ rated, while removing material that is unclassified is certainly their right, removing material that the censorship board has approved for young adults of 15 years and over is certainly going a bit overboard.

10. Big-nosed Pengie

Another great reason for having no dealings with Telstra.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like