back to article Samsung DOUBLES profits on strong phone sales

Mobile tech giants Samsung and Huawei turned up the heat on their rivals this week after the Korean electronics behemoth doubled its profits in the first quarter thanks to stellar phone sales and its Chinese rival revealed ambitious plans to sell over 100 million mobiles this year. Samsung’s Q1 financials surpassed even its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dcope
    Thumb Up

Not Surprised

Having recently upgraded "Galaxy Note", they seem to be the only quality alternative for those who dont want a fruity phone, HTC are looking good, but Samsung seem to be ahead of the game ATM.

2. Bob Vistakin
    Meh

Just as the best phone mankind has ever seen gets announced next week!

Great phones let down by windowlicker-level marketing. Let's hope this was just a blip, come on Sammy you're better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldq2tNLRDwA

Anyway, Apple will be ready with their photocopiers the way they were with voice control (2 years behind) , widgets (3 years behind), pull-down notifications (3 years behind) and NFC (err, still not got that one so its 1 year and counting) and quad core kit (another innovation Apple have yet to, err, innovate; the "new" IPad has a mere 2).

1. Jeebus

Re: Just as the best phone mankind has ever seen gets announced next week!

But Apple do have rounded corners and people in a big glass shop who fawn over you when you enter, enforcing the loner, dorkish sad sack stereotype that absolutely exists among the cult.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just as the best phone mankind has ever seen gets announced next week!

Apple also has people like you who hardly ever post anything other than to slag off Apple. Which is a very sad sack stereotype of the typical hater

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Copiers

'Start your copiers Redmond' was an Apple slogan from the launch of Tiger in 2005.

So, not only have you copied, you're seven years behind as well.

You really must try harder

1. Bob Vistakin
        FAIL

Re: Copiers

@AC 8:43 Yes, hypocrisy is a terrible thing indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

I believe the term for what just happened to you is "owned." :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's what you think. I believe quite differently.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Bob. You don't get it. You are so compelled to post anti apple comments that you even do so in response to an article that doesn't even mention Apple once in it. You're dislike of apple is so strong that it has made you become a Troll. It is indicative of Apple owning you. Your obsessed.

3. Jeebus

Haha. Played Bob. I can see why this guy stays Anon.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The fact that you can find that link so quickly shows how much you're owned by apple. If you want some vindication, let me award you the El Reg prize for the loudest shout of I hate apple.

I'm sure we all look forward to your obsessive posting about apple on topics that are nothing to do with apple.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Sorry Bob, you're a moron

Siri wasn't Apple's intro of voice control, they've had it since the 3GS which was introduced just under THREE years ago. Siri just enhanced the existing voice control to do much more. Of course there were phones that did some form of voice control before the iPhone let alone Android were even on anyone's drawing board. Seems a rather obvious "innovation" for a device that people talk into, doesn't it? Giving either Android or Apple credit for the innovation of telling your phone "call Mom", even if one of them had been the first, is pretty ridiculous since computers have been capable of understanding simple phrases for at least two decades. The innovation will occur not in the understanding of properly enunciated speech in simple "verb object" form, but in the understanding of all grammatically correct sentences, plus some common forms of grammatically incorrect sentences, slang, abbreviations, mumbling, etc. Siri moved the bar somewhat on that but we're still much closer to the start than the finish on this.

Not sure what a "widget" is, but I'll give you the pull-down notifications if you're willing to give Apple the pop-up notifications since they appeared on Apple before Android. Both pull down and pop up notifications have existed in applications on computers for years and were thus already an obvious addition to phones for everyone except patent examiners and fanboys.

As for quad core....this is an innovation? When Apple moves to 1GB RAM from the 512MB used in the iPhone 4/4S will they be copying Android's "innovation" of having 1GB? You seem to be playing pretty fast and loose with that word, suggesting you don't even know what it means.

Anyway, I fail to see why iPhone needs four cores. I also fail to see why Android phones needs four cores, except to compete on a naive specifications basis with other Android models for the purchase of clueless fanboys like you who think those extra two cores matter for anything but a bullet point spec war. Cores 3 and 4 are wasted on desktop computers for the vast majority of PC buyers, and no one is crunching massive spreadsheets or compiling code on their phone!

3. Greg J Preece
    Linux

Hoping Huawei do as well as predicted, as they're one of the companies to have promised Tizen phones later this year. Bring it on!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like