back to article Microsoft takes on Spotify with sound of Woodstock

Microsoft will unveil its Zune platform successor at E3 2012, a Spotify-like music service codenamed 'Woodstock', it has been claimed. Details of the platform were leaked by insiders today, who say Microsoft's latest music offering won't require any browser plug-ins and will integrate heavily with Facebook, The Verge reports …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Irongut

"will integrate heavily with Facebook"

There's one good reason to avoid it.

2. hitmouse

Another US-only service like Zune?

Facebook integration won't necessarily mean it will be universally available as Scrabble players know well.

1. James Chaldecott
      Facepalm

Zune service not US only

The Zune service isn't US only. I've got a Zune Pass and I'm in the UK. It works quite nicely on my Lumia (better than the flakey Spotify client did, anyway) and Xbox. Cheaper than Spotify, too (just).

It is missing a few Spotify features though (I especially miss "Related Artists"), and streaming is slower to start, so hopefully this Woodstock thing will be an improvement.

Oh and yes, I know "I must be the only one", etc, etc. I'm pretty happy with my Lumia, though, and more interestingly so is my non-techie wife with hers.

1. Falmari Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Zune service not US only

James Chaldecott agreed UK also an I have a Zune pass as well. Never had a problem on either of my HTCs with it.

2. The Original Steve

Zune works great for me in the sticks of Norfolk. Use it in PC, XBox and Lumia 800. Good value and having it on the move plus the fabulous UI on the Xbox makes it a on excellent service for me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook....

.... just what we need... another damned application spamming our news feeds telling us that our friends have a really shite taste in music... I found out the other week that one of my oldest friends likes the Nolans ... I felt sick for hours.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Facebook....

Aww, you poor thing, knowing someone with the wrong taste in music...

1. Chris Parsons

@sabroni look up 'irony', then re-read.

1. sabroni Silver badge

OK. So if that was ironic then presumably we do need another social media player to spam us with our friend's tastes. Or was only part of the post ironic? This is too confusing...

4. The Envoy
    Devil

Looking forward to getting my hands on it to hear the latest from "Chiddy Bang" ... NOT!

5. Jeebus

Welcome to 2007 Microsoft. Awesome move by the giant, pioneering a service nobody wants, has no reason to use and will be region specific.

Get the Metro and Ribbon interface on it and I guarantee it will sell like a glass of legionnaires disease.

1. JDX Gold badge

People demonstrably DO want to combine social media with lots of things.

I don't know why.

6. andreas koch
    Unhappy

If it would be

named i-wrubzsnfrghnnf and presented by Apple, it would sell.

Microsoft? No, sorry, not even with a free player.

1. Jeebus

Re: If it would be

Apple has a near monopoly on stupid consumers so it wouldn't surprise me either.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: If it would be

Actually since Android has double or more the market share of Apple, simple maths shows the majority of idiots are using Android.

7. Euripides Pants
    Windows

existing Zune Pass members

"existing Zune Pass members should be able to emigrate to the new service when it launches"

That would be Steve Ballmer's kids, right?

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

J. Worthington Fitz-Meh III

Next week... Ford unveils the Edsel Coupe!

9. stefan 5

burn it.... burn it with fire

10. K. Adams
    Windows

"... with sound of Woodstock"

'''.!..'''.!..'''.?..'''.?

'''.!..'''.?..'''.!

'''.?..'''.!

I'm sure Snoopy will be its biggest fan... :-)

11. squilookle
    Meh

I know it's MS and I shouldn't be surprised, but the lack of Linux support would be a dealbreaker for me immediately. That and I'm really happy with Spotify and it would take something extremely good and/or extremely cheap to get me to switch.

Talking about OS support, the article says Windows 8 is supported, but makes no mention of previous Wiindows versions. Oversight in the article (or the source)? Or are they going to try to use this to lure people onto Windows 8. If they're thinking of trying the latter strategy, I hope for their sake they reconsider.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS

What is it with companies and their obsession to release a service *Cough* Zune pass *Cough* then create a near identical service, but tack on a few features that probably won't interest most people then relaunch and rebrand it rather than focusing on the existing brand / identity that has been on the market already for years ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like