back to article O2 launches Wallet: Plays pay-by-text card, again

Telefonica brand O2 has finally launched O2 Money version two: O2 Wallet, a pre-paid wallet held in the cloud and accessible from any mobile phone, regardless of the model or network. O2 Wallet is a cloud wallet from which one can transfer cash to any mobile number, in much the same way as Barclays' PingIt application, but O2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just about as sensible...

... as uploading all of your private data to Google Drive so that they can sell it on to whoever they like:

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/policies/terms/regional.html

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

1. PaulR79

Re: Just about as sensible...

Sounds (somehow) worse than Facebore and their "anything you post we can use for free, forever" terms. I don't do a lot of photography but some I do like to show. You have to look painstakingly through T&Cs of any site in case they're allowed to use your stuff without having to ask permission. Sites like Facebore may make sharing things easy (too easy?) but I bet a good % of people have no clue that they're giving up rights to photos by posting them.

I'm glad this was pointed out really although I doubt I'd use it much / more than Dropbox which is mainly for passing files between computers / synchronising things between devices to me.

2. auburnman
    Meh

Close, but no cigar

Let me know when I can get the bus or go to the vending machine without fannying around for exact change.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Close, but no cigar

Eventually you'll be able to do that with your contactless debit/credit card, without involving O2.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

from http://www.idtfinance.com/

"IDT Finance is the trading name of IDT Financial Services Limited, which is a regulated bank, licensed by the Financial Services Commission (FSC), Gibraltar, under the Banking Act 1992."

Nyeees, think I'll pass on that...

1. Matt K

Re: from http://www.idtfinance.com/

IDT is a subsidiary of IDT Corporation, which is fundamentally a telecoms outfit. IDT Europe is best known for discount phonecards (call Uzbekistan for 1p per thousand years...) and those discounted international call numbers. Worked for them very briefly many years ago and never realised they were getting into the banking market...

4. Piloti
    Meh

Blighty now as good as Africa.....

I have worked abroad for a lot of years, mostly in different parts of Africa. This service is nothing new to a /lot/ of Africans.

A lot of OpCo's, say MTN, have offer services where user A buys a voucher and therefore has credit. This is used for calls / SMS etc. But it can also be transferred to another user, either in part or in whole. This is a market driven solution to the fact that most / a lot of people in African simply do not have bank accounts and therefore have no access to money. All the money they have is either in their pockets or under the mattress. Saving it / storing it with MTN [example] is seen as pretty safe and secure and often more so than the local bank, which often have names like Guaranty Trust Bank, and yes, that is how the spell it.

I am not saying the UK does not want / need this, but it is not the revolution we think it is………….

5. Tech Hippy

Pingit has already been opened out to all high street bank account holders, not just Barclays..

http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/barclays-rolls-out-pingit-to-all-uk-customers-801341681/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn.... Why can't the UK networks learn anything from those abroad?

Wow, that's remarkably un-remarkable... What I want to know is when I'll be able to M-Pesa some money from my UK phone to someone in Africa?

7. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I'm on O2, can I use Wallet on Android Market?

Although actually I don't get data on my O2 phone connection. I use Three wi-fi with it instead.

To do: read the new terms and conditions (several of them) that go along with AM turning into Google Play.

1. kerlmann

Re: I'm on O2, can I use Wallet on Android Market?

@Robert Carnegie - yes, any smartphone (plus some non-smartphones if the browsing experience is adequate) on any network can sign up for the O2 Wallet, no need to be 'with O2' in any respect prior. It also works on an iPod Touch with WiFi and there's a fixed web log-in as well, just in case your phone is out of juice/coverage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like