back to article Brydge pledges to turn iPads into MacBooks

Tablet naysayers will - not unreasonably - claim that adding a keyboard to a fondleslab only goes to show how much better laptops are in the first place. Brydge's Brydge iPad keyboard kit But that didn't stop Asus offering just such an add-on for its Transformer line of tablets - just for you, iPad naysayers - and now here's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Norphy

How long before Apple sues them into oblivion?

1. Powelly
      Unhappy

It's quite a nifty idea, but sadly I think you're right. It just looks too much like a Macbook Pro.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably not

1) It doesn't duplicate an Apple product. In fact Tim Cook categorically said he has no plans to make an iPad/laptop hybrid. So they're not in the firing line for now.

2) Lots of people produce laptops that completely rip off the macbook keyboard area layout-look at the last HP Envy 15! Apple clearly are focusing on their primary targets: Samsung and Android.

I think as long as this just adds to the reasons to buy Apple they won't mind.

2. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Why isn't it tapered - there no need for it to be 'square' is it? Surely there can't be a lot going on inside the thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For weight probably, to stop the big fat iPad puling the whole thing over on its arse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Sorry you didn't like my comment, but even Apple can't change the law of gravity.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

but they did help to discover it....

..wasn't it a falling apple product of some sorts that inspired Newton (in folklore at least) - perhaps it was an Apple Newton!

I wonder when Apple will use this connection to try an patent gravity. Then they will rightfully be able to claim to be the suckiest company in the world.

3. jai

those prices have sold out

the $150 and $180 price points are no longer available. They only had 100 available at those price points.

Now the prices are $170 and $210 instead.

Of course, for a grand you can get a gold one....

4. Gordon 10
    Meh

Not much different

To any other Ipad keyboard. I personally am awaiting the availability of the Adonit Writer 2 plus for the iPad 3.

5. Wibble
    Facepalm

Where's the pointing device?

A keyboard also requires a pointing device close to hand; a mouse, trackpad or nipple. It's just not acceptable to expect to point around the screen whilst, say, editing a document. One's hands are rested on the keyboard; the screen is up in the air; pointing at it is very difficult from this angle, and damn uncomfortable as well. That's why I'm using a mouse as I slide my hand from the keyboard to the mouse.

Alas iOS (and Android) doesn't support pointing devices so this is at best only a half-solution.

Ironically Windows 8 may fare better in this respect as it's more Windows than Tablet OS. Of course Windows 8 doesn't yet exist, nor will it ever run on an iPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Where's the pointing device?

you are mistaken, sir.

Android does indeed support pointing devices, and has done since 2.3, Gingerbread.

Hence the Asus Transformer having a trackpad.

My Galaxy S2 also has an option to use a mouse with a proper mouse pointer displayed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...(and Android)...) There's a fully working trackpad on my Asus Transformer.

If the patent lawyers can argue rounded corners successfully then this gadget is going to be easy prey for them. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when Apple and Asus lawyers gang up on them.

Pity though, I rather like tablets with docking keyboards, the Asus is excellent, I'm waiting for a detachable touchscreen equipped ZenBook as the Windows 8 machine of choice.

3. Matt_payne666

plug any old mouse, wired or wireless into my onda ICS android tab and it becomes a very useful pointer... without any extra software or fiddling...

6. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Down

Pointless device...

I don't see the merits in this "accessory" at all, I have both an Apple and a Samsung fondleslab and I get along with them just fine without the urge to turn them into wannabe laptops.

I also have a desktop and laptop, which a fruit co. branded 13 inch of the aluminium variety and should I need to embark on anything that requires a lot of typing/editing, I use these opposed to the often tedious task of using Office-esque Apps on the tablets.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A keyboard with a battery?

Having to recharge your keyboard is a bit much, why don't they just plug in into the USB por.... ah, sorry - how stupid of me.

8. Andy Christ

Looks like Crux beat Brydge to it with the CruxLoaded.

http://cruxcase.com/products/crux-loaded-2/

It has both a trackpad and I believe the software also provides a cursor on the iPad's display. Still only in development and $250, but they are apparently taking orders.

Also, I doubt Apple would sue either of these companies, as long as they do not employ the Apple logo or claim any such endorsement.

9. Chris Whatmore
    Thumb Up

Just want to congratulate the headline writer for this article - or at least, the subhead writer...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like