back to article SAP still not a force in cloud after sales cash drizzle

German software maker SAP AG is facing an uphill battle to become a force in the cloud market after revealing subscription-based sales amounted to just €29m (£23.7m) in Q1. This represents year-on-year growth of 625 per cent on the opening three months of 2011 but that's clearly from a minuscule base. Total revenues were up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

should at least clarify that it will support both netweaver and success factors in the future. it makes no sense to leave netweaver dry up - at the moment that's the message, success factors is the future. Who wants to bet that they will change their tune next year?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would not take that bet

The SAP product portfolio is a mess. Every new acquisition brings a new direction for you to develop toward. They are a joke when it comes to building a coheasive strategy with a multi-year commitment.

With cloud and best of breed software on the rose SAP will decline and fall with many businesses who have been bitten by their revenue driven sales targets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I would not take that bet

Agree, SAP is trying to play Oracle's game of growth by acquisitions, but their company is not suited to chaos as usual like Oracle. They are very locked down and incremental, which is why all of their big customers like SAP. No surprises and steady as she goes. They are the IBM of ERP. Maybe they don't have the latest bells and whistle, but you probably don't need to be on the bleeding edge and they will get there at their own deliberate pace with no waves or sudden changes of direction.... I think SAP was baited into the "cloud" talk by Oracle saying that they are dinosaurs from the 80s with their big monolithic on-premise software. Very few SAP customers want fully SaaS applications. They like to keep an eye of that mission critical functionality.

SAP is really creating massive confusion with HANA. If it is an OLAP accelerator or in-memory DW, everyone gets it. When they started saying that HANA is going to be a full RDB and they are going after the RDB market aggressively, everyone started to get anxious that SAP is going down the lock-in path... not to mention that they are nowhere near ready to replace Oracle or DB2 as a full RDB, so why even mention it until you have something to sell.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

Why can't you run SAP R/3 on SAPDB/ MAXDB ?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

MaxDB is a toy. If you have a very small workload and don't need any advanced functionality, it might work... but that is the opposite of a SAP workload. Oracle and DB2 are way ahead of it. MaxDB doesn't have any indexing capabilities. It can't do pretty basic SQL functions like parallel queries or merges. No partitioning. No security... etc. It is not even an MS SQL competitor.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC Posted Wednesday 25th April 2012 23:32 GMT

Yes, SAP is an internally solid company. But I also think they're putting too much accent on the success factors at the moment. So far couldn't see any confusions at my customers with HANA, they're all very happy about it. I can only say that the new ABAP language commands point to the existence of a RDB system on the application server.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like