back to article Official: Britain staggers into double-dip recession doom

Britain has slipped back into recession, preliminary figures released by the Office of National Statistics showed this morning. The UK economy shrank by 0.2 per cent in the first quarter of 2012. That's the second consecutive GDP nosedive, which technically means fears of the country falling into a double-dip recession have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

It was obvious

It was glaringly obvious we were never out of trouble since 2008, but the financial guys are all too ready to say we're technically not in recession when the figures show a vague trend.

Of course we're in trouble, and anyone can tell you things have been getting steadily worse, rising prices, no rise in salaries, cut backs in services and so on.

1. the-it-slayer
      Mushroom

Re: It was obvious

Could be worse... we could be Greece or Spain who are almost about to explode.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But we are not! So?

We were never in that position, dispite what you care to believe.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where's a Mr.G.Fawkes or associate when you need him.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's a Mr.G.Fawkes or associate when you need him.

How would blowing up the current monarch and restoring a Catholic to the throne help exactly?

1. sam 16

I don't think it would help as such, but you have to admit it would be kinda awesome...

2. P. Lee
            Facepalm

> How would blowing up the current monarch and restoring a Catholic to the throne help exactly?

We've had Blair already, I would say, "never again" but I'm not sure I can see a difference.

3. The Godfather
        Alert

If they do, then we are definitely in the shit....

2. Thomas 4

Pretty much this.

You can call it whatever you've been calling it for the past four years but the economy doesn't need a special label for everyone to know it's fucked.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yes but the media has this habit of creating self fulfilling prophecies.

In fact you can argue that it is our own fault that it isn't improving, but one thing, cutting back on public spending wouldn't effect NET GDP unless we borrow more money to pay for it or increase taxes further

Spending is down, costs are high, its a catch 22, what you cant have is a government spending money to get out of it, because they don't have any of their own money, it only adds to debt or comes from us both are bad for the country.

We personally could spend more money to help the situation but that's made harder because costs are high. Usually recovery is a slow process and increases as confidence increases

The media however can change public opinions in a heart beat, if people go around saying its not getting better then it wont, If the media jump up and down about a anything without consideration it can make things a lot worse. We should all be optimistic and we should always try convince the city of this optimism, to do otherwise would be stupid

Im all up for freedom of speech and all that but more and more recently im finding myself questioning the practices of media outlets to suite them selves and to hell with anything else.

But that's another debate!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Dazzza

One of the more intelligent post I have ever read on these forums. Freedom of speech is an important human right but it is also a responsibility that is all to often abused by the media at large.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One of the more intelligent post I have ever read on these forums. Freedom of speech is an important human right but it is also a responsibility that is all to often abused by the media at large.

I think much of the problem is that today's rolling 24 hour news broadcasters need to fill their airtime with something. An opportunity for a bit doom mongering is always welcome.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Indeed. Let's be more optimistic, since the Olympics are coming to town.

Put our heads down, stop commenting on the reg and get working people.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Indeed. Let's be more optimistic, since the Olympics are coming to town.

Put our heads down, stop commenting on the reg and get working people.

-------

Don't talk to me about the olympics - I live in the south west and I couldn't give 2 hoots about it. Why am I paying taxes to fund this shite? What do I get back in return. Fuck the big society, I can't afford to take care of my wife and 3 kids. Why the fuck should I pay to `host` a sport activity that will have 0 return for myself. Along with that, why the fuck are the government giving away £9BN of my money to other countries.

Share that £9BN between every adult in the UK and it will be a wholly better off place

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AbortRetryFail

@ Dazzza (Re: It was obvious)

As Dazzza says, the media do have a habit of creating self-fulfilling prophesies. I'm in no doubt that people wouldn't have been queuing down the road to buy petrol if the media hadn't been screaming "DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC! Petrol is running low because people are starting to queue"

I couldn't help but detect a note of glee in the BBC "breaking news" report today that we are (finally) officially in 'Double Dip Recession' so they could start peddling their doom and gloom again.

Having said that, whilst I agree with you that we want some optimism from the media, there is a fine line between optimism and propaganda.

4. James Micallef Silver badge
      WTF?

I fail to understand how an economy that is behaving plus or minus 1% from the previous year is "fucked". This is all down to ridiculous expectations of a 5%+ growth a year every year, which is clearly a pipe dream unless you're so far behind to begin with that even a tiny absolute increase is a huge percentage increase (see Brazil, India, China...)

The reality is that the economy in the last 20 years in western nations has been artificially inflated by using cheap labour in other countries and built on debt that wasn't backed up by real value. -0.5% overall is nothing, you want to see a really fucked economy, look at Spain or Greece, not to mention Egypt.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure the BBC will be gleefully pedalling their stories of woe, therefore completing the circle

1. Doctor_Wibble
      Joke

That would be a unicyle then?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The circle is only completed when they mention prostitution and blame the whole problem on hackers.

3. nsld
    Coat

it could be worse

We could be in a drought with flood warnings........

1. Silverburn

Re: it could be worse

Only in Britain could something as improbable as this happen.

One is reminded of Quantitive Easing for some reason. Not sure why.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: it could be worse

Seen the Australian weather?

2. A J Stiles
      Holmes

Droughts and Flood Warnings

You have the "lying down in front of bulldozers" brigade to thank for this bizarre combination of events.

We were offered new reservoirs, but the NIMBY contingent chose hosepipe bans instead.

(It will backfire on them in the end, of course. Homes with a 24/7/52 water supply will end up being worth more than homes near to "unsightly" reservoirs.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have two jobs, both companies are not only actually making profits, but are generally growing and doing well. Yet they are cutting staff and costs as if they were in trouble, cutting wages where they can (and freezing pay where they can't).

I'm not an expert, I know there are many factors to this, but when companies are making a profit and are sitting on the money, and as far as I can see, using recession as an excuse to brutally cut costs and profit in the short term, what do we expect?

Unemployed people (and people with frozen wages) don't have much spare cash, therefore don't spend much, therefore these businesses are collectively starving their source of income in favour of grabbing short term profits. It's not sustainable and it needs to stop.

1. DaveyDaveDave

Given the choice, I'd rather have unsustainable cutbacks, than unsustainable growth...

5. wowfood
    FAIL

no money

Well of course there's no profit, because nobody has anything to spend. You have a large portion of those who'd be the biggest spenders (18-25) out of work. And those of us who are in work are getting destroyed by rising prices for bills, rent and other normal living cost.

For my area most people can only really get retail or engineering based jobs. Thats anywhere from 12k-20k per year. This is for the average person mind you there are of course higher level managers.

That would mean anywhere from - 800 - 1.3k per month. The average rent for a single room apartment in my area is £400, by the time you add gas an electric as well as food you're left with anywhere from 0 - 500 in spending money.

All rough guesses here mind you But they wonder why the economy is bombing when a good portion of the population can barely afford the basics they need to survive. Either wages need to go up, gas / electric / rent needs to come down, or some combination of the two.

Of course with the gas and electric companies reporting record high profits, they clearly don't have the money to drop how much electricity and gas cost. And with these companies suffering so badly they cannot afford to up our wages. And we need a house, so landlords have us by the nutsacks, they aren't going to lower their prices.

*sighs*

I'm just glad I don't drive, otherwise I'd have no money at all.

1. 0laf
      Mushroom

Re: no money

Gas and electric prices are coming down, but only on the home countries of the companies that own our gas and electric. We're paying for the consumer discounts in France and Spain. Why would a Spanish company give a shit about UK customers?

Energy goes up by 50% in the last 4 years, food is up by about 20%, benefits are a up by about 15% and wages are up by 0% if you're lucky.

And still the gov wonders why businesses are failing and no one is spending any money. Or pretends to wonder while it stuffs it's pockets with expenses, gold plated pensions and pay offs ,hands out money to fund the Indian space program, Subsidy farms (wind farms) and the bloody EU.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: no money

> Why would a Spanish company give a shit about UK customers

Why would they give a shit about Spanish customers?

There aren't any British or Spanish companies anymore - there are companies listed on a British or Spanish exchange whose shares are owned by global pension funds.

6. A J Stiles
    Stop

Well, this was inevitable

There comes a point where further economic growth is impossible, because there is nowhere for the economy to grow to. No matter what you are selling, there is bound to come a point where everybody who is ever going to have one has already got one; and from then on, all you can do is replace them as they go wrong.

The future is zero growth, and we have to get used to that.

1. Kenno

Re: Well, this was inevitable

Nay.

The problem with Britain is that it is a democracy (stop laughing at the back) which means politicians are scared of making 'right decisions'. That is letting the economy collaspe properly so that all the dead wood is cleared out of the system. So you can rebuild sooner.

The problem with this reset is that is loses HUGE numbers of votes.

Japan has been papering over the cracks for about 20 years now because they are afraid to press the reset button.

Of course there are big loses in a reset. But if you do not reset everybody loses!

Right now boomers and the public sector are torching the youth to keep their 'wealth' unearned or not. Because they vote the government is scared of them. So they keep crushing the younger workers in a ponzi scheme. Eventually the younger folks say sack this and down tools.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Right now boomers and the public sector are torching the youth

True.

My Mother said "My generartion has bankrupted this country for your generation"

True.

She got upset when I pointed out that her generation had also fucked it for their grandchildren.

1. Graeme Sutherland
          Trollface

Re: Right now boomers and the public sector are torching the youth

You got that last bit wrong: There won't be any grandchildren because your generation can't afford them due to your mother's. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Graeme Sutherland

Not quite.

I've already provided her with one grandson, thats all the Mrs and I can afford.

Enough to start the guilt trip.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Right now boomers and the public sector are torching the youth to keep their 'wealth' unearned or not."

And we'll keep right on torching you until you bunch of hoodie-wearing feckless losers unplug your earbuds or climb off facetube long enough to vote.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

A bit over-simplified, but close enough to the truth. Stuff like fridges, TVs, cars, clothes etc used to last 10-20 years, then 5, then 3 and so on just to keep the never-ending cycle of selling stuff to people who already have a lot of stuff.

There's a limit to how crap things can be made so they fall apart just after the guarantee has expired, and most people have enough appliances, cars, clothes etc. There's also a huge mountain of old-ish but still quite serviceable stuff that people may have put away in storage but that they're now selling 2nd-hand to make ends meet while others look to buy in the 2nd-hand market because it's more affordable.

All things considered -0.5% isn't really all that bad overall, but behind that overall figure are companies who are doing very well thank you and sitting on their cash while many people are out of work or are being squeezed out of affording anything more than the basics

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the surprise?

Ten years of spend == ten years of brokeness

8. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

Scaremongering

You failed to mention this is a prediction based on 42% of final data with a 1% uncertainty.

This seems to have become thet latest hobby.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done to the Tories! Round of applause!

Oh and that goes to the Tory voting Brits too. Well done!

1. Dr. Mouse

And you think the situation would have been better under Labour?

At the end of the day, everyone I know predicted that we would have shitty times for years after the last recession. This would have been the same no matter which govt was in power. Their economic policies were so similar (although they shouted differences, they were nearly identical when you looked at the figures) that they would have made virtually no difference.

What we actually need is for companies to start hiring. This would start an upward spiral as more people had more to spend. As things stand (and with media, politicians and my next-door-neighbour-and-his-dog scare-mongerring) things will be slow going because so many have no money to spend.

1. Kenno
        Thumb Up

What we actually need is for companies to start hiring. This would start an upward spiral as more people had more to spend. As things stand (and with media, politicians and my next-door-neighbour-and-his-dog scare-mongerring) things will be slow going because so many have no money to spend.

THIS

The problem is, the money in people's pockets/demand problem. Is currently covered with a somebody else's problem field. Therefore companies trim jobs hoping to be cutting other peoples throats but not realising they are cutting their own throats.

Roger Ford's Lights in the tunnel (freebie ebook) has some extrapolated future outcomes of all of this. It isn't pleasant reading either.

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Facepalm

Re: And you think the situation would have been better under Labour?

Under Labour Greece would appear responsibly managed.

10. Kenno

What a load of balls

We never came out of recession in the first place.

But with 325bn of Zimbabwe style money printing...I mean QE

An engineered petrol painic

AND the Olympics construction

AND finally a whole load of fiddling

they STILL only fiddled it to a negative,

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The IT Industry is going....

the same way as the Industrial and Mining Industries......

on the other hand the Security and Military Arms Industries are making a roaring profit and expanding.

12. Khaptain Silver badge

And capitalism falls like all the others

What the governments are failing to admit is that capitalism has reached it's limits. "Eternal Growth", Only an utter fool could believe that such a system has any future.

As one of the other commentards mentioned, we have reached a point where we have to sustain ourselves on "No growth". We have to think deeply and honestly and look for solutions where an equitable society can be maintained on a realistic business model. Wealth has to be distributed in a different manner. The banks can't be trusted, shareholders have become far too greedy, politicians should be held accountable for their actions.

Society needs to change, our current political models are flawed, it's time that the current politicians stepped down and allowed for rational thinkers to step up and take control.

Communism doesn't work, Capitalism doesn't either, why can't we find some kind of happy medium between the two ?

The wealthy have become too wealthy,the industrialists too powerfull, the politicians too scared to take the lead. The standard solution is "war" but I refuse to be part of someone else's fuck ups.

1. John A Blackley

Re: And capitalism falls like all the others

Pointing at things and saying they're broken is not a high-value skill.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: And capitalism falls like all the others @J.A.B

The first steps in resolving problems are to understand that they exist ( point them out), define what they "really" are and then start to begin the process of finding a solutions.

If no one speaks about what really is going on then no solution can ever be found. it's not about having any kind of "high-value skill" its about bringing things out into the open.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Not True

Capitalism flourishes in all the countries who haven't allowed their financial and political classes to Fuck With The Public's Savings.

Britain allowed London (and some Edinburgh) finance to destroy an enormous amount of wealth, Greece, Spain and Italy did excessive "social" spending and book-cooking all on borrowed money.

Other countries such as Germany, South Korea and the BRIC countries do very well with their ways of capitalism. What happened in London was not capitalism - it was THEFT BY BANKERS. They stole the property of capitalists who stored their money with these banks, they stole from the general public. So BANKER-THIEFERISM has failed, not proper captialism.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Not True

Are they really flourishing ?

Do a quick google on the yearly percentage of increase of these countries debts, in relation to their GDP, and you will quickly realise how their systems will eventually fail as well.

Do not become disillusioned by the temporary growths of these countries, they are not sustainable..

The bankers all over are pushing us for more debt, one day those debts will have to be paid.

Where do you believe the money will come from to make the payback ? Capitilism is not a magic purse .

Debts will have to be paid in one way or the other .....

2. JohnMurray

Re: Not True

They didn't steal it, they never had it in the first place. They credited borrowers with money they did not have. The horrific reality is that every one hundred pounds lent was backed by only a few deposited. Fractional reserve banking. In our world it is known as fraud.

13. mraak
    Thumb Down

Austerity?

How's that working for you Cameron? Like Spain, Italy? Didn't you say in 2010 we'd be out of the mess with your strategy by now?

1. system11
      Stop

Re: Austerity?

Please highlight which particular cuts caused this, and when they actually took effect. I don't mean the pile of discussed, planned or speculated ones - I want an example of an actual cut which has made any difference to the situation.

I see too many people bemoaning 'all the cuts' when actually almost nothing has changed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>>Please highlight which particular cuts caused this,

So you never go into the public sector do you, you have a good income and no children, ahh! good for you. I am unfortunate enough to work for a school, no not as a teacher but as support staff, so not only am I poorly paid, but I'm not going to get any more money soon am I? My income is dropping in real terms, like a stone, petrol has gone up, gas, electicity, water rocketing up.

Child tax credits all but gone, as the family income is over £25 grand, yes that is two jobs. So guess what, I'm buying sweet FA, saving nothing and when the shit hit's the fan, running up debts on essential Items.

So enjoy your well paid life, and just hope that the cuts won't affect you when you or your loved ones(though I'm not sure you have any) have to go into Hospital or a care home, or pehaps when you trip up playing Sunday footy and rip your knee out, 'cos the cuts have only just started, bend over and brace 'cos Gideon and Dave are not going to let their fortunes wane.

1. system11
          Meh

Correct, I never go to the public sector. Oh - aside from the NHS telling me I can't have the medicine for my chronic sleep disorder, because it's too expensive - but they told me that before the "cuts" anyway.

I have a reasonable income, my partner earns a pittance though. We have no children, but if we did I don't think I'd be complaining that other people aren't funding my lifestyle choice. They *are* a lifestyle choice you know. Aside from that, my income is also dropping in real terms, bills are all up everywhere you look, and it's pretty grim. All of these things happened regardless of "cuts". My remaining grandparent went into a council provided care home just two months ago, no problem there either. It's much nicer and safer than the house the council used to pay for - it's been like watching someone wake up for another lease of life. The pavement outside our house was literally still warm to the touch yesterday because they're all being replaced.

Child tax credits are the one very good point made, but as I say - you chose to have children. I have not chosen to buy a horse or live in Chelsea, because I can't afford to. On a reality based note, we reduced the amount of time our heating runs over the winter because it was so expensive, that's just life I'm afraid.

No amount of moaning about cuts to front line services changes the fact that individually and as a country, we're mostly broke now. It doesn't matter how much money 'Gideon and Dave' have, or their chums in business, or the amount of tax dodged by people wealthy enough to dodge it, because it would probably fund a single beer for everyone in the country. I believe spending significantly less on things we can't afford, is a real part (but not all) of the solution.

I'm just tired of people talking the cuts up as if it's the worst spectre in the world, destroying the lives of the poor while funding the lives of the rich. Do you know who the 'rich' are in the context of tax funding? The poor sods working for a living with no children, who are not rich and also use very little services of the state, paying a fortune in rent while people live next door free of charge. The same poor sods who can't afford to go on holidays or buy new cars, just like people with less money can't. The media particularly sensationalise it like an unknowable boogeyman lurking under the bed just waiting to kill poor granny in the winter. The economy falling over even more would be worse.

In short: it sucks for everyone, get over it. I don't like it either. I like the probable alternative even less.

1. supermoore
            Thumb Down

There's lots of people in the thread saying that having children is a choice, and they are of course correct.

However, if everyone who can't really afford to do so stops having children for the next 5 years, what happens when the current 20-40s reach retirement with a life expectancy of 85+ and a small tax paying work force as a result of lower fertility rates? Ta-da the country either has to borrow heavily at that point, remove the welfare state altogether and enjoy watching large-scale deprivation and poverty amongst the eldery, or go bust. Japan is struggling with this right now, and China will not be far behind.

The situation is perilous enough in this regard already without further encouraging large portions of the population not to have children. If anything, looking at the long term we need more people to have children, not less.

This is typical of 4-year-term politics. Making decisions to appease people in the short to medium term that will have disasterous consequences for large numbers of people in the future.

2. Mike Tyler

Children may have been a past lifestyle choice, but not everyone knows how life will treat them. If we don't want children for the poor people, I can accept that, but make it clear that is what is wanted and what your are voting for.

It's a bit like the heath service, we don't really want older people to keep on going, it's a bit expensive. Cuts already apply, try and get some physio treatment over 70, "old dear won't neet to walk properly will she".

Nice to see your parents had a council provided home, just why should we pay for the old and infirm, if you object to paying for children to be properly fed and housed, people are people child, adult or older.

It's fine that education is now only for the wealthy, oh yes it is, covering up pockets of poor teaching in secondary schools by having tutors, paying for travel to colleges because the Sixth form is a bit poor, subsidising the young adults at university, we may as well give up on educating children at all

2. mraak

>>Please highlight which particular cuts caused this, and when they actually took effect.

Maybe 25% of housing and 25% of social expenditure? Was this money available to private sector and individuals buying stuff, things wouldn't be so catastrophic, money would be flowing - i.e. economy growing. Double dip recession, when they promised growth? You gotta be kidding me, are you their shitguard or what?

All this austerity BS is a way to make poor poorer so that "aristocracy" can reclaim their god given rights to riches.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> You gotta be kidding me, are you their shitguard or what?

So what's the alternative? It's all very well the bitch and moan, but the honest answer is that we as a country are skint. Despite the cuts, which in percentage terms of total govt spending are actually quite small, we are still borrowing £80bn a year.

90% of the government cash goes on people - it's welfare, teachers, police, etc. Any cut the govt makes is going to hurt someone - it's impossible otherwise - but you can't just keep on borrowing $140bn a year ad infinitum. Eventually the merry go round stops and there is no more £££. At least this way we can all get off in more or less one piece rather than a tangle of arms, legs, and fibreglass horses ...

> Maybe 25% of housing and 25% of social expenditure?

Ah, but if you dial back to a sensible "pre Labour" budget, it's still up in real terms over the last 15 years. It's like middle England complaining about the collapse in house prices - "oh noes it's dropped by 10%" - the reality being it was all illusionary value anyway and the house prices had just dropped back a couple of years. - but most of them are still sitting on an insane profit.

3. supermoore
        FAIL

As has been adequately pointed out several times in this thread, the actual affect of such measures is often less important that the threat of them, or perception of them.

Hundreds of thousands of public sector workers (far more than will be made redundant in the next 2 years) fear redundancy, and so do not spend what disposable income they have to hedge against this.

Families who may or may not lose tax credits and child benefit do likewise.

And importantly there is not just the real terms cuts that are made and threatened, but the absence of increase in investment, or reduction in value in the investment that remains due to high inflation. This clearly is resulting in less job creation and higher youth unemployment, again resulting in less money spent in the economy.

The mighty City is reassured that they will continue to be able to do what they like and interest rates stay low so we don't see mass repossesions (yet). Meanwhile anyone outside the home owning, self employed, share owning, Tory voting section of the population gets less well off by the day and the exonomy slowly starves as the wealth continues to accumulate in the investment funds and pensions of the wealthiest 10%.

Bonus.

14. Tom 7

We are not in a double dip recession

its the same one really - its just that the figures can only be massaged for so long before the truth leaks out.

15. Vic

So What?

If today's figures are correct, the economy has contracted by 0.2%.

So, on average, for every £1000 you were making last quarter, you're now making £998.

Whilst this is hardly grounds to break out the champagne, is it really going to have a significant effect on a business' profitability? Are margins that thin? Of course not.

But what *will* happen is that businesses will panic themselves into thinking that Something Needs To Be Done. And that means some other poor sap gets laid off. And that is where the problem arises: if employees are uncertain about their future, they stop spending in case they get laid off as well. Businesses then take a huge drop in revenue - and the cycle repeats.

In an effort to avoid losing a little bit of income, businesses cost themselves (and others) a load of income. Spreadsheet management at its very best... :-(

I'd like to propose a Redundancy Tax. Any business laying off employees will be taxed heavily. Yes, I'm aware that this will lead to an increase in the number of Constructive Dismissal suits...

Vic.

16. Lockwood

I laugh at how everyone says this is the coalition's fault... Forgetting it started in 2008. Internationally.

I am not defending the coalition; I am pointing out blatant logic errors.

Also, wasn't the massive increase in fuel sales meant to fix everything?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not the coalitions fault,

No not everything, but don't you just wince every time someone starts on with "Due to the last labour government", it almost got a boo on Any Questions last week.

1. Lockwood

Re: not the coalitions fault,

I'm not saying that that is a valid answer, just that saying "We were fine before the new government" is also not a valid answer

17. James 36
    Paris Hilton

the problem with economics is

it isn't easy

micro seems to work but macro involves people therefore is difficult to predict. People taking credit for running economies well are just lucky

look at its history , up until the early 70's in the UK it was widely espoused that inflation and unemployment were inversely proportional until we had high unemployment and high inflation

At the moment we have rising unemployment but interest rates are low, if they rise the situation will get really bad, remember the recession in the 80's with mortgages at 14% ?

no...

thought not

it is always different and I am sure the economy will recovery , just don't know when or what can be done to make it happen other than try to mitigate the worst of its effects (affects?! pedant services please )

whilst Capitalism may have its faults I like the alternates I am aware of even less

Paris , cos whatever happens she will carry on due to being rich enough to be insulated from a bad economy. lucky cow

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"effects (affects?! pedant services please )"

'Effects' is correct in the context used. That'll be £3bn* in adjusted GBP please.

*Price of a packet of fags after the next round of QE.

2. Keep Refrigerated
      Facepalm

Re: the problem with economics is

At the moment we have rising unemployment but interest rates are low, if they rise the situation will get really bad, remember the recession in the 80's with mortgages at 14% ?

But those mortgages were capped at 3.5 times income and house prices at healthy sane affordable levels. The spectacular bust in house prices we saw recently can be squarely blamed on lowering interest rates (look you can now afford to borrow MORE!); increased mortgage cap (6x income); lax regulations (self-cert anyone?); my-house-should-be-worth-double-now sellers; shared-ownership schemes (all the cons of ownership + all the cons of renting)... I could go on.

Which would you prefer? A huge loan and tiny interest paid off over 30 years, or a small loan, high interest paid off over 15 years - because I can tell you which is the cheapest one and I'll give you a hint: It's not the one that stays with for 3 decades.

1. Vic

> The spectacular bust in house prices we saw recently can be

> squarely blamed on lowering interest rates

I disagree.

The house price problem is down to demand exceeding supply. The lack of supply is because all the councils sold off their housing stock (under Right To Buy) and couldn't replace it.

Rising rents meant that buy-to-rent made sense. So private landlords bought up stock, leaving the supply of housing further depleted. And we're straight into a positive feedback loop. To make matters worse, rising house prices meant that investors could ride the price bubble - yet more houses being taken out of the housing supply.

The only solution I can see is for councils to regain their housing stock. This won't be cheap...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> The only solution I can see is for councils to regain their housing stock. This won't be cheap...

Or popular - all those middle England votes vanishing when the housing bubble bursts ;)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Over on this side of the pond, the Republicans blame such a thing on Obama. I'll be waiting to see who in this crowd will try and pin another countries woes on him also.

Myself personally, I'm doing great, nobody to blame and nobody to thank. It's called "taking responsibility for yourself and not letting others dictate your life".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who to thank?

Maybe your parents for instilling a modicum of common sense? It doesn't always work that way, but it's most likely that that occurred.

I'm in a similar situation myself, BTW: just keeping my head down & doing the sensible thing, like I normally do. It's not for everyone, but it's what I'm comfortable with. I definitely don't rely on government: too many forms, too much hassle.

1. Local Group
        Happy

Thank the Ambassador

The sight is dismal.

And our affairs from England come too late:

The ears are senseless that should give us hearing,

To tell him his commandment is fulfill'd,

That Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead:

Where should we have our thanks?"

19. The Alpha Klutz
    Devil

hello motherfucker

yes I'm talking to you Tony Blair, you did this on purpose, you lubricious swine. I'm going to have fun with you in the afterlife, motherfucker.

20. The Grump
    IT Angle

Look overseas...

and you'll find your missing jobs. Look to Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Malaysia, India, Mexico - anywhere human life is cheap and expendable, and you will find the missing jobs. Company A outsources IT jobs to India. Company B doesn't. Now, Company B is loosing market share and profitsbecause their costs are higher. Solution? Company B outsources, too. To bring our jobs back, your have to... bring our jobs back. By legislative force if necessary. Tariff the hell out of overseas labor costs, to make them equal to the labor costs at home. Yes, it will increase prices, but I imagine the cost of stuff will be very cheap when the last job at home is lost overseas. But no one will have any money to buy anything. Ironic, isn't it ?

Id love to see a BOFH where the company outsources (or tries to outsource) the hero's jobs to Tibet. Lift accident anyone ?

21. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

People on the bread-line are having a really tough time of it, that's understood. What is happening now though is that the middle classes are starting to feel it like never before, and a lot of that can be laid at the banks' doorsteps.

They were given billions to bail them out and start lending again, but they haven't. Even if you manage to convince a bank to lend you money, it comes with a lot of strings and a massively inflated interest rate compared to the inter-bank lending rates.

I make my living selling services to the banks and I'm retraining in another field right now because it makes me feel too dirty to be supporting them to be honest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yeah well

in the future we wont have banks, they'll find a more efficient form of slavery like maybe an injection that turns you into a drone that does work all day and sleeps in a phone box and eats your own shit for food. then banks will be obsolete because their job of fucking everything up can be done easily in one injection that is good for you because it makes you a slave.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I borrowed £0000's from banks and credit card companies, spent if all and couldn't pay it back, they would call in the loans, but a court would say that they'd recklessly loaned me the money and had not checked that I could pay back the debts. I would have to pay a small portion and the banks and card companies would be forced to right off the rest.

The banks & bond markets loaned to Greece, Italy, the UK and others without a care of how they were going to pay it back, the best they planned for was the countries could always borrow more to pay the interest. Well guess what, YOUR mistake, so you, the banks and bond holders, should loose your stake, you bet on the wrong outcome.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Degrees of magnitude

If the bank lends you £20k, that's your problem.

If the bank lends you £20b, that's their problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Degrees of magnitude

Actually, that's not quite right, but there's no opportunity to edit a post so, to requote the old saying and then extend it to include events of recent years...

If the bank lends you £20k, that's your problem.

If the bank lends you £20m, that's their problem.

If the bank lends you £20b, that's our problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Well guess what, YOUR mistake, so you, the banks and bond holders, should loose your stake, you bet on the wrong outcome.

Which of course means we end up paying for it anyway - because who owns the banks? Either (a) tax payers or (b) your pension fund. All this "tax them evil banks" rage is quite funny, because we really are all just taxing our own pension funds.

Oh, yeah, Gordon did that first. Thanks ...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't really know what to think anymore. With a rocketing welfare bill I can only hope that the people of our country come to their senses and vote for something completely different like UKIP. I read on the BBC this week that people are furious they're only getting £400/week to pay for their four bedroom council house? WTF and facepalm.

Sunday Trading is one law that confuses me. Why on earth are we still doing this in 2012? It should be dropped completely and would give people who work during the week extra time to spend money.

Whoever came up with the idea that shops should be open between 9-5.30 during the week when everyone else works I've no idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

People aren't getting £400 for a council house, it's mostly private rented sector, Councils aren't allowed to build cheap housing, it's the landlord that's getting the £400.

Sunday trading is to help shop workers have a few hours with their families when the family members are not a school or working, you don't believe shop workers can set their own hours do you?? The 9 to 5:30 historic hours came about when everybody body worked standard hours, there haven't been fixed shop opening hours in years, apart from Sunday trading limit for shops over a certain size.

If you don't really know what to think, maybe you shouldn't be commenting, just doing more thinking, I'm sure the "news of the sun" available on Sunday will help you out.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I honestly expected a better response. Please re-read your comment from the point of view of someone who pays their own rent/mortgage. I see no point in pointing out the other flaws.

1. Intractable Potsherd
          WTF?

I do pay my own mortgage ...

... and I still don't see any justification for your attitude towards people that are unfortunate enough not to have a job. It reeks of the old "outdoor relief" plan - next you'll be calling for modern poor-houses.

Oh, and it will be a cold day in hell before I vote for UKIP or any of their ilk. Trying something new can sometimes be obviously a stupid idea - "I'll do something I haven't done before - snake-kissing sounds fun!"

24. Flabbergarstedbastard
    Megaphone

Hows about a tax break for the little guys?

Maybe Mr Cameron should consider helping small business out a bit to boost the economy rather than smothering the little guys to death with heavy taxing. Where is all that money going? It certainly is not helping me out when it leaves my pocket and gets turned into a depleted uranium tipped bunker buster.

Help small businesses stay afloat and they will lube up the wheels of commerce.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

they took the wheels off commerce a long time ago. now they're just putting the square ones on.

25. dobri

Will we see a "triple"-dip recession?

http://dobrisratings.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149564&Itemid=111

1. Local Group
      Devil

Re: Will we see a "triple"-dip recession?

Yes we will.

Unfortunately we will see it out of a high, barred window in a small cell in the Chateau d'If.

26. Mike Brown
    Happy

this is simple to fix

tax breaks. for £25000 per year and under.

This would stimulate the economy by giving everyone (that needs it) extra money in their pocket.

how do the govt pay or it? easy: QE.

instead of giving the extra "money" to the banks, give it to us. then we will spend it, and the companies will higher more staff, and then everyone pays more tax (vat and PAYE), which then pays for the tax breaks. and so on and so forth.

and bosh! Country fixed.

1. P. Lee
      Childcatcher

Re: this is simple to fix

tax breaks won't do it.

The solution is not to spend more, but to get out of debt. Mortgage rates of 14% are irrelevant when you don't have a mortgage.

Sadly, it appears few people can resist living beyond their means and when everyone else is outbidding you on housing by taking on more debt, it is hard not to follow.

A solution is to bring back the mortgage caps and perhaps raise the cash portion of house purchases. It is hard, long-term medicine. House prices will collapse. However, lower debt means more cash-in-pocket without borrowing. There may be requirements to limit foreign investment if you restrict your market like this.

Alas, this requires a political spine of steel. I fear we would need a local war to get this sort of measure through.

1. Mike Brown

Re: this is simple to fix

well yes. but which politicion is ever going to burn there Party and carear to try and save the country?

Our economy is a consumer based one. Without consumers spending the economy cant recover, id go so far as without consumers spending we have "no" economy. Companies then cant hire people, and have to cut jobs, which dents the buying power even more. Its a vicous circle.

But giving the consumer more money fixes this cycle. Giving this money to the banks is pointless, as they hold on to it, and the compnaies dont see it, and neither do the consumers. But giving it to the consumer, even if they just pay off thier credit card, will eventually trickle into the banks.

So i stand by my comment. I realise its only papering over the cracks, but at this point in time, its all we can do. And it fixes the problem we currantly have.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would comment

But I'll just sit here in incredibly smug mode.

28. scarshapedstar
    FAIL

Obviously there hasn't been enough austerity yet.

Kinda like how, if you apply enough leeches, the patient stops bleeding.

29. Jtom

I'm rather amazed at the number of people saying continued GP growth is impossible.

Is the population not growing? More people means more houses, more furniture, more cars, more TVs....Great Britain is on target to grow 3 million people by 2020. A zero GDP growth translates to zero job growth. More are graduating schools and entering the workforce than are retiring. The surplus will find no jobs. For every immigrant getting a job, a citizen will lose one. People will need more housing, but can't afford them - there are no jobs.

If you have a growing population and no GDP growth, your standard of living will start falling and your taxes - to pay for more welfare and other aid - will go up.

GB and most of the rest of the world are in a heap of trouble because of the debts governments have created. Good luck to all in the coming depression.

30. David Black
    Facepalm

Cameron is just doing a Ratner

Now I know the Tories want to keep the political machine running and ensure that no one forgets that "We are in an economic mess" unusally followed by "left by the last Labour government". Now without taking on the factual substance of the statement, can nobody see that if you have an entire government just constantly restating what a mess we're in, we'll never get out. Just stop saying it. We've heard it now. Well done, you're not Labour, they were bad, thanks. Just say something positive and provide a direction for moving our country forward and stop talking it down.

This topic is closed for new posts.