back to article LOHAN gasps at stiff and slippery tube

We do like a bit of unboxing down here at the Special Projects Bureau, so there was a decided frisson this afternoon when we took delivery of a stiff and deliciously slippery tube. Click here for a bigger version of the LOHAN graphic Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) regulars will be aware of the ongoing debate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Talking of tubes...

"We also have a tube of lube to hand if required – Molykote 33 low temperature grease, which works down to -73°C."

As my other half could be described as frigid, and KY jelly doesn't work for her at room temperature, can I try a bit of that, if you've some spare? "To hand" is a nice way to destroy another keyboard....

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Talking of tubes...

Molykote 33 is really expensive. Have you considered the comparatively low-cost alternative of some light therapy, followed by a candlelit dinner at home with Barry White on the stereo?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Andus McCoatover

Barry White? I'd punch his lights out if I found him at home with Girlie, sitting on my stereo!!!

2. Parax
      Stop

"for her at room temperature"

Reminds me of last weeks House.

S8 E17 - We Need the Eggs

2. squigbobble
    Paris Hilton

Ice buildup vs. ice joining things together

How much condensation is the Ti rod going to gather? I'd me more concerned about condensation droplets freezing and creating a knobbly rod that'll jam in the tube than it bridging the gap between the rod and tube as there's potential for it to build to a much larger thickness than the tube can accommodate where the build up isn't restricted by the tube shrouding the rod.

How about a hydrophilic coating? Unless that'd just make it bead up worse and be even knobblier... Better still, a hollow rod with a hand warmer filling that someone mentioned before.

I think I've crammed enough innuendo into that.

1. GrahamT

Re: Ice buildup vs. ice joining things together

A thin layer of lube on the rod won't necessarily stop icing, but should ensure any ice droplets are dislodged easily, like a shower of pearls, by the tube thrusting its way along the erect rod.

3. Why Not?
    Thumb Up

Alternative title

Slippery rod rocks Lohan's world?

You just can't go wrong with this subject matter !

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. EDT

Replacing Rear Aluminum Plate

I offer a suggestion that can solve the problems related to the rearward motion pressing against the aluminum back plate.when the rocket motor is ignited. Replace the back plate with two small narrow pieces of metal welded to the top and bottom of the titanium rod directly behind the rear collar that is used to hang the LOHAN from the titanium rod. The metal pieces will provide stops that will prevent the LOHAN from falling backward when the carrier is in a semi-vertical position and will not in any way interfere with the forward motion when the rocket motor is ignited.

6. mad_dr

How about...

... Some kind of heated windscreen-based device for the rod? IE a very low electric current to keep it warm enough to resist condensation, droplets of ice, etc?

I should state that I'm extremely non-technical so am fully prepared for the numerous and obvious reasons why this would be impossible. Eg titanium being the best insulator known to man or titanium requiring something the size of a car battery to provide sufficient current to create a temperature-differential, etc.

7. Flash_Penguin
    IT Angle

Lubrication fixes the symptom NOT the problem

Sometimes, having things slack is the right approach.

Sooooo, please define a "tad"

my experience with cylinders as bearing surfaces is that if you get misalignment they jam.

To mitigate against this make the teflon insert MUCH bigger than the tube, and trumpet shaped so that any icing obstacles are ramps rather than stops

(Why does it need to be a close tolerance?)

This IS a problem in my day job.... we have to accurately align a part in a rail switch machine which did NOT need to be a close tolerance but was made one because it looks better, and is unreliable as a result.

8. G R Goslin

icing

The answer to icing is simple. You slip a closed ended light sleeve over the rod in front of the aircraft and another shorter one between the suspension bushes. Any icing will be on the outside of the sleeve, where it doesn't matter. These fall away as the the aircraft clears the rod. But I still think that you should dispense with the aluminium plate set athwart the frame and replace it with one running lengthwise. The impingement of the exhaust stream on this plate could do do some strange things to the attitude of the truss before the aircraft has cleared the end of the rod. Particularly when the leading bush has cleared , and the trailing bush is still engaged

9. SW
    Pint

To Plunge or Not to Plunge

"when we'll take the opportunity to plunge the rod and tube into the cold box, and see what happens"

Is this such a good thing to do - I would have expected a more gradual drop in temperature rather than a sudden plunge into something so frigid !

Mine's a cold one for obvious reasons

1. Andus McCoatover
      Joke

...rather than a sudden plunge into something so frigid !

Did you have to remind me of my Gorgon???? Ta muchly!

This topic is closed for new posts.