back to article Latest iPhone firmware unlocked

The latest version of the firmware for Apple's iPhone has fallen to hackers less than a week after its release. Two hackers working separately have both succeeded in jailbreaking version 1.1.3 of the firmware, iPhone Atlas reports. One of the hacks requires hardware modification, so it's not suited for those of a nervous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Wallis

Jailbreak 1.1.3

The hack has been done, but they are waiting until Apple releases the iPhone/iPod SDK at the end of the month before releasing the details ... plus they are working on GUI version of the software jailbreak.

They don't want apply learning how to block the latest attempt until they have to

2. JayKay
    Paris Hilton

Jailbreaking

It just amazes me that The Register gives so much coverage to jailbreaking the iPhone.

If humans made it, humans will break it.

The iPhone NOT being jailbroken would be news, but as I see it, this is nothing more than coverage about an already boring subject.

I own an iPhone, and would be more interested in reading about anything other than this on 'The Register'

3. cecil snodgrass
    Thumb Down

amazing

that is one hardware mod, it has turned a iphone into a ipod touch according to the video????

4. Ian payne

all wrong?

is that not a video of an ipod touch not an iphone?

5. Dave
    Thumb Down

Not an iphone

Erm, thats a IPod Touch/iTouch whatever it is called not an iPhone. It clearly says Ipod in the top right hand corner (just like my iTouch) and it just appears to have the new Application upgrade that Apple are charging $20 for. I see no relationship between the video and article.

6. max allan
    Paris Hilton

Follow the link lads

From the link in the article to iPhoneatlas :

"demonstrating a jailbroken iPod Touch running firmware 1.1.3. We have confirmed that this video is legitimate, and that the jailbreak has been accomplished for both the iPhone and iPod Touch: "

So, yes the vid is of a touch not phone, but it claims to apply to both.

So, you're observant enough to view the vid and see it's a pod and complain, but not observant enough to follow the link and read the details. Hence Paris adjusting her glasses.

Max

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so...

Either way, both are over priced pieces of rubbish.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward, Correction...

over priced pieces of extremly unsecure ribbish (as all poorly designed Apple product)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Paris who?

I've seen a lot of comments over the last few weeks about "Paris" doing something.

Has it a general meaning?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Gaolbreak" please

(this is a British site remember!) - Although it makes me wonder why people will spend stupid amounts of money to be placed in a gaol in the first place, only to try to hack their way out of it...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Why...oh bloody WHY?

Why are Apple so insistent on their precious walled garden? Don't they realise that they'd explode in popularity if any Tom Dick and Harry could write stuff for the thing? If the users could put anything on they felt like?

And as someone noted earlier...why are consumers being so stupid as to pay WAY over the odds for what is reallly just a slightly fancier new phone. One that will still be outdated in roughly the same timescale as any other new phone.

I personally might have tried one on my next contract if A)the new version had a real decent cam on it and B)Cost the same on contract as the others and was easily as good.

;).

12. Scott Mckenzie

Oh good god.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE IPHONE DON'T BLEEDING WELL BUY ONE OR FEEL THE NEED TO COMMENT ON EVERY STORY ABOUT THEM THAT THEY'RE OVERPRICED OR NOT VERY GOOD!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...........

13. Chris Davis

Probably not a surprise to Apple

Apple have been around, and working with DRM and the like, long enough to know that it's not possible to keep anything locked away from the 'Net community' for very long.

On the other hand they also know that content owners and service providers need to believe they'll have a monopoly before they'll undo their buttons.

Seems to me Apple are keeping both sides happy: get good deals out of music companies and telcos by providing locks; but keep the nerds happy by letting them hack the stuff if they really want to. And they do, and they will, and they do.

I imagine 90%+ of both iPhone and iPod users do it the easy way: accept the restrictions and live with them without grumbling. The small number of savvy and disgruntled types will bust through the DRM and service locks using freely available information - because they want to and can.

Ultimately everyone's happy. But it hardly seems appropriate to bitch at Apple for putting in the locks if they're bustable, nor crowing when you bust them - it's all planned for.

CD

14. Danny Thompson
    IT Angle

Oh good God 2

Don't panic, it is only graffiti perpetrated by the "anything Apple = very bad, must bitch and moan about it" camp. They have little else to do apart from post anonymously. These are the same wild-eyed people you can find on any day of the week at Speakers Corner, ranting their usual mantra. What they cannot stand is anyone having anything or opinion that does not match their tiny little world. So all they can do is graffiti all and any article published anywhere. Freud could probably have written an entire book on the psychology behind these poor inepts.

I find the Jailbreak/Gaolbreak (the 'Merikans will never get that) all way too funny for words. Apple need to learn that the iPhone will be broken into just on a matter of principle if nothing else. The people who do this will continue to do so for as long as Apple make the challenge. They can embed all many of technologies in the successive generations of iPhone and iPod Touch, each will in turn be Jailbroken.

Think about it, Apple, all this Jailbreaking is being done for entirely no money at all. For zero commercial gain. You threw the gauntlet down and quite a few picked it up and chucked it right back at you. Gawd bless them all, each and every one of them. While I have not Jailbroken my iPhone I 101% endorse the actions of the Jailbreak authors. Because I firmly believe that Apple have, in the way in which they have sold the iPhone, completely missed the public's reaction.

Apple would have been much better off selling the iPhone as a completely SIM-free device, usable on any network in the world. Then they could have formed an alliance with the likes of O2 to sell an iPhone+ package as O2 have it now. I, for one, would have bought into the iPhone+ as I see the practical value to me - yes it isn't suited to everyone. That would leave the market wide open for Apple to have their iPhones on every network in the world, legitimately and without all of this Jailbreaking nonsense.

Not much of an IT angle to this story however.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Ahh the fanboys strike back

Now Scott theres no need to shout, we have every right (remeber freedom of speech)to not buy a iphone and point to the reasons why, (they are both too expensive and not that good) now just go play with your mac for a while, theres a good boy. What is it with apple fanboys that makes them so touchy?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like