back to article Up to 390 TalkTalk jobs face axe as Northampton site shuttered

ISP TalkTalk is shuttering its Northampton office, "simplifying" its UK operations and "creating jobs nationally" while threatening to axe others. It said in a statement that "collective consultations" would take place with 390 staff across its sites at Northampton, Preston and Warrington. TalkTalk added: There will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Northampton too dear for you?

oh, pardon me, too complicated! Try the City, it's simple and cheap

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Junkmail

If these jokers stopped junk mailing me, they might have a few more quid to spend on staff.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weird

Why are they hiring 250 engineering staff for Youview? Isn't the point that the joint venture do all the hard work, leaving Talktalk with a Flash app to maintain? They must already have network and encoding people for the current TV service. And with a dirt cheap phone and broadband service, how will they fund 250 new tech jobs?

4. Elmer Phud

Same old, same old

"The ISP said that following the closure of that office it expected to effectively outsource "200 new roles at Preston through the appointment of a new strategic partner to manage the existing site and some of its operations". "

'expected' is a variable and usually leans towards 'not a hope, sunshine'.

Doncha just love how 'outsourcing' is now 'stragegic partner' -- no, it's shifting the dirty stuff elsewhere. 'Effectively' just means 'getting rid of'.

There used to be 'Boardoom bingo', is there a 'Restructuring bingo' sheet out there?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. 1Rafayal
    FAIL

But, according to the posters all over Edinburgh, they can make Scotland nice.

7. Trev 2

They have staff in the UK...!? I'm guessing these people aren't on the call centres as all you ever get with them is India, who have obviously never been told how the UK phone system works including the little white box etc.

As for moving to Preston - yeah so if you get another job it'll pay £5K less a year, have worse conditions and it's in Preston. My advice to all those in Northampton is take the money and run, and then claim you were working in Outer Mongolia rather than for TalkTalk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They pay the same in Preston....

Indeed, having worked for them at one point the pay rate was the same up in Preston as elsewhere.

I've worked for worse companies, and better, but none that was quite so amusing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About 62 retentions staff are transferring or being 'TUPE'd' over to a company called Careline who will sub-let the site/floor from TalkTalk.

Careline are looking to swell this number up to 250 staff, hiring some of the existing BB2, Homemovers, Mobile, Bereavement staff as retention staff (those that can do/have the skills to do retentions). The rest hired from the local area.

BB2 staff have the option to relocate. However I don't envisage (m)any going to India.

Homemovers, Mobile and Bereavement are going to Stornoway, again relocation to the arse end of nowhere is also an option. Warrington CEO (complaints) jobs are also going to Stornoway.

Other parts of the business in Preston are relocating to an existing Warrington office (some relocated from Warrington to Preston previously.)

250 Jobs are required for installing YouView nationally, this would be with an existing partner/outsourcer called Qube - many BB2 staff are expected to take this option.

The office was sombre today, many people just getting on with the good work they do, whilst knowing the future is uncertain.

This topic is closed for new posts.