back to article Microsoft unveils paid SkyDrive options

Microsoft has revealed the price for paid services on its SkyDrive cloud storage, which kick in at US$10/year, US$25/year and US$50/year for 20GB, 50GB or 100GB respectively. Paid services also gain the name “SkyDrive updates”. The company has also upped the free storage available to newbies to 7Gb, citing the graph of current …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. banjomike
    Go

Existing subscribers all get 25GB

You do, but you have to "claim it" in order to keep it. Go to your account page and click on the relevant button. You then get to keep your 25GB for free irrespective of subscriptions.

1. MacroRodent

Re: Existing subscribers all get 25GB

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't visit the skydrive very often, so I might have missed this.

1. Richard 116
        Thumb Up

whs ^^

2. pear

ditto!

1. The BigYin

I was dropped to 7GB, but a banner link on SkyDrive took me to a page where I could get a free upgrade to 25Gb. Neat.

2. Fuzz

Not me,

Just logged in now, I've had a skydrive account for ages and I've been bumped down to 7GB, maybe you only get to keep the 25GB if you're already using more than 7?

1. iGoto

Have you clicked on the 'Manage Storage' link on the left hand side? The upgrade option is within that page.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Flame

I got a banner on logging in.

Turns out that the "manage storage" bit is yet another place in the wacky world of Windows Live that stuffs your language settings with whatever it thinks is appropriate courtesy of IP geolocation.

If anyone happens to be near to the arsehat at MS who's responsible for Windows Live's cavalier attitude to user language settings, could you give him a kicking for me? Thanks.

2. banjomike

"Not me,

Just logged in now, I've had a skydrive account for ages and I've been bumped down to 7GB, maybe you only get to keep the 25GB if you're already using more than 7?"

Don't think so. I hadn't logged in to Skydrive since last November and I only use 70Meg.

1. Boris Winkle
          Thumb Up

Make sure you're looking at the PC DESKTOP site.

I went to check mine last night on the playbook and didn't see it, as it was in mobile view.

3. Jason Hindle

WHS - and thanks (and an extra thumbs up for you). Just claimed my 25GB.

2. robert 15

$20GB ?

1. pixl97
      Joke

That first GB is expensive on the paid accounts :-|

3. Trib

DropBox Links.... SkyDrive already has this and has for a whlie. Also don't need to be a paid user to get this feature.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sky Drive may

Sky Drive may have links, I know because my users keep coming to IT for support 'cos they can't get the attachment they sent to their work account from hotmail, because it now defaults to sending a link to a SkyDrive document. I guess it's one way to get corporates to open up the infrastructure to SkyDrive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As far as I know Dropbox has had this from the beginning... anything you put in the Public folder is linkable. Is the news just that it's been extended to the rest of the box? A minor tweak, I'd say.

3. Studley

Dropbox links - not just paid users

Despite the assertion in the article, the Dropbox links feature doesn't seem to be limited to paid users. I've never paid Dropbox a dime (though I have acquired some extra space through referrals) and I can use the new Links option without any problems.

In fact there's nothing in the Dropbox blog post which indicates it's for paid users only either. Not sure where The Register got this impression from.

4. James Loughner
    FAIL

Is not that feature the one that got Dotcom into trouble.

Lets see I'll store some nice movies then give everyone access to them LOL

5. STrRedWolf
    FAIL

Would be nice if it matched Dropbox's range of OSen.

Skydrive: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android (by third party)

Dropbox: Windows, Mac, *LINUX*, iOS, Android, and many third party access.

Yeah, wake me when Skydrive hits the penguins.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Would be nice if it matched Dropbox's range of OSen.

You can get to a SkyDrive account on Linux via SMEStorage - I've already got my Ubuntu PC set up to do this. A quick google will reveal how it works. Very handy due to the 25GB limit - glad I signed up before they dropped it to 7GB!

6. MacroRodent
    Unhappy

Hope they fix their photo gallery view!

Now that they expect people to pay, one would expect Microsoft to finally fix the glaring flaw in their photo gallery view in Skydrive: it ignores the orientation field in the EXIF data, where all modern cameras indicate if the photo is in landscape or portrait orientation. It does not even allow setting this information manually. So all my portrait shots are still shown sideways. One reason I have not been so keen using it, except as a kind of backup location.

1. Shaun 1

Re: Hope they fix their photo gallery view!

My photos display correctly, but all the ones I have on there are autosynced from WP7. so I've not tried it from other sources

7. Jas 1
    Meh

UK Prices

For those on The Queen's side of the pond:

Additional storage charges are as follows

+20GB= £6/year

+50GB= £16/year

+100GB= £32/year

I don't see a link to claim free 25GB, but i've never used the service before.

1. Danny Roberts 1

Re: UK Prices

If you haven't used the service before, you can't get free 25GB, it's for *existing* users only.

Makes a nice change to see the $ > £ conversion being fair for a change, well done to MS for that!

8. Grozbat

Useless still?

When I tried SkyDrive las year it you couldn't upload folders, which in practice made it completely useless.

Have they fixed that now?

1. Dan Melluish
      Thumb Up

Re: Useless still?

You can drag and drop folders using the new Windows client - makes life a LOT easier.

9. jon 68

7GB or 25GB?

Still not an option for me.. 31TB and still growing.

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Draindrop

You can put 64GB on a phone's microSD card so using the cloud instead seems tedious. I find online storage useful for the file that I didn't expect that I'd need - a tiny file out of terabytes of files. Right now that's easy to accomplish with a home server but nearly impossible with cloud storage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like