back to article Adonit Jot Flip precision tablet stylus

"If you see a stylus, they blew it," Steve Jobs famously said. He was referring to the fact that the iPad’s multi-touch display and UI is designed to be used with fingers rather than an input device and that, in his view, a stylus is superfluous. That may be true for the bulk of tablet apps, but there’s no doubt that for those …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

recommended

I have the Jot Pro and it's a brilliant stylus. Perfect for any apps that you either want to jot notes in, or for those that provide handwriting recognition.

I'm no artist, so can't comment how this fairs in the paint apps compared to some of the ones with thicker tips. But for writing, it's perfect.

1. Neil Brown

Re: recommended

Jai — how robust is it? It looks a little delicate, and I'd be fearful of putting it in a bag or a pocket — does it come with a cap, or is it tougher than it looks?

1. Gordon 10
        Thumb Up

Re: recommended

I have a Pro too. It comes with a Alu machined screw top cap. Mine tended to come undone on its own after a week or so boucing around under my iPad or laptop in the bottom of my bag.

The Pro includes a magnet that sticks to Smart Covers and the internal ipad magnets - good for meeting room posing.

The little plastic crosshairs are replaceable from Ebay or Adonit directly. Note that the pen doesnt work without the plastic bit.

Waiting for the Jot Touch with pressure sensitivity.

Also waiting for the Adonit Writer 2 Plus Keyboard but thats another story.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Resolution?

Having done a bit of work on touch screen inputs before, I wonder about the resolution of the screens. Generally, capacitive screens don't have the spatial resolution that resistive screens have, so while this may "work" in that it may trigger the screen, is the screen really going to have enough resolution to do handwriting recognition?

The systems that I have seen that support both capacitive touch and stylus use a second inductive system to sense the stylus, just to provide the resolution needed for handwriting or drawing.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Resolution?

Most of the ipad handwriting Apps simulate a piece of paper of much smaller size than the 20% smaller than A4 ipad screen.

Most of the Apps tend to show text at a fairly high level of zoom for this reason. they also tend to have auto - CR's or "follow along the full length of the line" functionality as a result.

It takes some pratice to use the iPad as an A4 notepad.

Handwriting recognition varies hughly between apps but is a pretty reasonable on the good (paid) apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Resolution?

So, if I understand you, their solution is for you to write big letters, like a kindergartener? (although given my handwriting that may not be a bad thing....)

3. Christian Berger

It's amazing

It's amazing through what lengths people will go instead of simply using proper touch screens. You know combination resistive and capacitive screens exist.

4. Dick Emery

Jot probs?

Reading on the forums some people have issues with the Jot and have had to add substances to make it work correctly (like toothpaste). I think the main complaint is the bit that joins the pen to the nib gets loose and floaty.

5. cortezcortez

Jobs also said no-one would buy a phone with a screen bigger than the iPhone's.

Easily in the top 10 of worst technology predictions.

And he insisted that tablets smaller than iPad were pointless and unnecessary.

Any more news on the smaller iPad?

6. ShiverinEskimo

Draw Something Extreme

Is 35 quid too much to spend to excel at Draw Something?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like