back to article Google Street View comes to Israel

Google has launched its Street View product in Israel, after what the Jerusalem Post describes as “meetings with Israeli security officials” that ensured “Street View only shows public areas.” Google itself is focussing on the virtual tourism potential of the service's Israeli incarnation, announcing it in a post titled …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spud2go
    Pint

Lets hope Google behaves this time.

I hope, for the sake of the Streetview contractors, Google doesn't pull the same 'slurp & spin" nonsense of the past. The last thing any of them would want is Mossad on their back.

2. The Axe

"Associated Press reports that local officials are unconcerned by the launch, saying that those who may seek to attack Israel already know the three cities well and won't get useful assistance from Street View."

Finally some common sense from officials who accept reality rather than peddle FUD.

3. jake Silver badge

I'm tempted to post all of ...

... the over 30,000+ photos I have taken in the terrorist state of "isreal" over the last 30 years ... But somehow, I can't be arsed.

4. wilhil
    Thumb Up

Let me get this right...

If Google are allowed to add anything that is public, does this mean that if there are any big unavailable areas, it is a secret facility!?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

How useful would an unedited dump be to the security services? Snapshots of thousands of faces and vehicle registrations at specific places and times must have some use for intelligence purposes.

It might explain whay google have had such an easy ride all over the world.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"Staring at the sea, staring at the sand...."

.....and carefully ignoring the titular bits.

7. nsld
    Facepalm

Clever way of confusing the terrorists

"Exploring Jerusalme's Old City streets with Street View "

Genius, they will never find Jerusalem as they will be looking for Jerusalme !

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"without regard for historical borders" -- Carefully worded, but you in fact mean "Occupied Territory"

9. Patrick R
    Devil

It was written.

Google surely considered it had a God given right to capture that land's streets.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Coming to a Neighborhood Near You

The Orwellian spy machine isn't knocking at your door or calling you up on the telly to misrepresent themselves as a do goober. Oh no, Google simply rolls by in 'drive by fashion', slurping all and any intelligence they can gather, to be consolidated and parceled out to the highest, or the lowest, in the case of governmental agencies bidders. Batten the hatches! Medusa has arrived.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like