back to article Ubuntu signs HP as heavy-metal support act

Canonical's cloudy ambitions and Metal-as-a-Service vision for Ubuntu have landed the muscular backing of Hewlett-Packard. HP will certify Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server, due to land on 26 April, for selected ProLiant servers, making this the first time users of the Linux distro can receive HP's hardware warranty support. Newer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Smartypantz
    Stop

Debian

I know Ubuntu is hot shit, but +10 years at the helm of a large number of servers has firmly confirmed that vanilla debian is the way to go if you want stable funcitionality.

Users do not want "hot shit" for their basic computing needs. They want things to be reliable and constant.

Strangely, nobody seems to grasp this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

What?

Are you seriously suggesting that crazy interfaces that change every year are not what every server admin wants?

1. The BigYin
        Joke

Re: What?

@Thad - Canonicals constant tinkering with desktop interfaces is irrelevant as onnly idiots run desktop interfaces on servers.

Which explains Windows Server I guess. Ba-dum-tish!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

I guess I knew that really. I'm sure that sysadmins are still more interested in the # prompt than in a windowing system --- hence the troll face :)

Thankfully, I never needed an explanation of Windows Server...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Debian

"I know Ubuntu is hot shit, but +10 years at the helm of a large number of servers has firmly confirmed that vanilla debian is the way to go if you want stable funcitionality".

For people out there who haven't ten years experience in servers, I would have though that having two commercial companies backing Ubuntu would be a big plus, besides which, under the hood, Ubuntu uses Debian, so once you strip out the unstable bits it's the same as Debian.

http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/ubuntu-and-debian

3. MacGyver
      Trollface

Re: Debian :P

Well the one good thing about Ubuntu Server, is that it doesn't come with Unity.

2. Denarius

warranty ?

Buy a server and already get hardware support for warranty period as well as purchased support period. OS support is different. Ubuntu and HP suit each other. Won't go into details due to bitter experience.

3. Christian Berger

I wonder how it works

I mean that's one of the main problems of ARM on mobile devices. You cannot just buy a device and install whatever operation system you want. You need to first port it to the system.

Arm on server won't be popular, unless you break the forced link between hardware and software.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like